volume icon missing

May 9, 2005 1:51:16 PM

In the last few months my volume icon does not load in the system tray most
of the time on boot up. I have it selected to show in the task bar
properties and the control panel. For the life of me I can't figure out how
to get this icon back. I have to bring up the Master Volume Panel to change
volume settings. This is a real pain most of the time, as all I want to do
is stop a web site from playing some anoying music or turn the volume back on
when I need it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : volume icon missing

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 2:05:51 AM

Tim, try rt clicking on Taskbar>select Properties>Customize>Under Current
Items-Volume rt click on Behavior and select
Always show.
"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In the last few months my volume icon does not load in the system tray
> most
> of the time on boot up. I have it selected to show in the task bar
> properties and the control panel. For the life of me I can't figure out
> how
> to get this icon back. I have to bring up the Master Volume Panel to
> change
> volume settings. This is a real pain most of the time, as all I want to
> do
> is stop a web site from playing some anoying music or turn the volume back
> on
> when I need it.

May 10, 2005 3:33:07 AM

Hi there Tim, Try this
There are many suggested fixes, but the only one that worked for me was
http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_013.html. Under the "Disable Universal Plug
and Play" fix I made the changes from MANUAL to AUTOMATIC in both cases.
Hoping that this is of assistance.
John
"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Tim, try rt clicking on Taskbar>select Properties>Customize>Under Current
> Items-Volume rt click on Behavior and select
> Always show.
> "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> In the last few months my volume icon does not load in the system tray
>> most
>> of the time on boot up. I have it selected to show in the task bar
>> properties and the control panel. For the life of me I can't figure out
>> how
>> to get this icon back. I have to bring up the Master Volume Panel to
>> change
>> volume settings. This is a real pain most of the time, as all I want to
>> do
>> is stop a web site from playing some anoying music or turn the volume
>> back on
>> when I need it.

July 13, 2005 11:33:02 PM

I just found out today after losing some of my tray icons, including the
volume icon, how to fix them all very easily.
Just "log off" and "log back on" and all your startup icons are restored. I
know, sounds too easy, but it works.
--
Retired Boeing Bill

"Tim" wrote:

> In the last few months my volume icon does not load in the system tray most
> of the time on boot up. I have it selected to show in the task bar
> properties and the control panel. For the life of me I can't figure out how
> to get this icon back. I have to bring up the Master Volume Panel to change
> volume settings. This is a real pain most of the time, as all I want to do
> is stop a web site from playing some anoying music or turn the volume back on
> when I need it.

July 14, 2005 1:14:29 AM

You may also want to try this.

scroll to line 329

--
Michael

"Retired Bill" <RetiredBill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just found out today after losing some of my tray icons, including the
> volume icon, how to fix them all very easily.
> Just "log off" and "log back on" and all your startup icons are restored.
> know, sounds too easy, but it works.
> --
> Retired Boeing Bill
>

> "Tim" wrote:
>
>> In the last few months my volume icon does not load in the system tray
>> most
>> of the time on boot up. I have it selected to show in the task bar
>> properties and the control panel. For the life of me I can't figure out
>> how
>> to get this icon back. I have to bring up the Master Volume Panel to
>> change
>> volume settings. This is a real pain most of the time, as all I want to
>> do
>> is stop a web site from playing some annoying music or turn the volume
>> back on
>> when I need it.

July 14, 2005 1:21:32 AM

My mistake. I should have type line 320.

!