Strange symbol on Siemens M55 (+ locking onto Rogers

Was at cottage, on lake, at the one spot where there is some coverage from the
far away Tremblant antenna (26km away).

One has to move the canoe to the precise location (which doesn't seem to be
constant) to get the 2 bars needed to do anything with the phone (GPRS etc).
Rogers's coverage is slightly different from that of Microcell. So sometimes,
the phone finds Rogers first.

Normally, when this happens, it lets you select Rogers from the menu, but
fails to get service and returns to network search.

However, this time around, it actually locked onto Rogers, but there was an
interesting symbol just before the network operator's name (Rogers). Looked
like the outline of an exclamation mark (small square outline at bottom, and
over it, vertical rectangle outline). Combined, they were the height of the
characters in the "Rogers" word.

I was surprised and didn't really know what to do. I inly had one bar, so I
knew I couldn't do much with voice. And because of a slight breeze, I was
quickly moved out of range.

Thenm, I paddled back a few metres and this time, it locked to Fido, but
again, with the same strange symbol. And it only had the "Fido" word with the
symbol, no annoying "www.fido.ca" below it.

Later on, I finally did get to the right position and at that point, the phone
returned to full fido coverage (2 bars :) and I was able to send some emails
out. That strange symbol had disaeared, and the www.fido.ca had reappeared.

Has anyone experienced this ? Just checked the M55 manual, and that symbol
doesn't appear.

Found it quite interesting that it actually locked to Rogers.

pavel

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003

I think your handset was probed by the aliens that were in the area.
LOL.
Actually, I have never experienced that with my M55. Weird.

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
:
[...]

This happens to my M55 yesterday. It displays rogers with the exlamation
mark and my left option key change from internet to SOS. I think this is
like the "emergecy only" screen of the ericsson where the only network it
find is an unauthorized one. The siemens phones act a lot like the old
ericsson. I think they but the desing and software from them a while ago.
comapre a M55 and a T68i. Just look at the rear antenna connection.