Sign in with
Your question

Is this legit?

Last response: in Windows 7
June 28, 2010 4:43:00 PM

I am wondering if this is legal. I borrow a friends copy of windows 7 and use the little sticker on the bottom of my computer to enter the code to install it on my computer. My computer is already running a legit version, but I don't have the oem disk and want to do a clean install. Is this legal and will it work?

More about : legit

a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2010 5:01:02 PM

arendell said:
I am wondering if this is legal. I borrow a friends copy of windows 7 and use the little sticker on the bottom of my computer to enter the code to install it on my computer. My computer is already running a legit version, but I don't have the oem disk and want to do a clean install. Is this legal and will it work?

i think so. i don't think it will even ask you for a serial if you are doing a reinstall
a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2010 5:20:41 PM

Hi arendell,

Why do you want to do a clean installation? Is there a specific problem that the community can help to fix?

If you wish to reinstall, you can do so using Recovery in Control Panel, under Advanced recovery methods. This method reinstalls Windows 7, either from a recovery image provided by your computer manufacturer, or from your original Windows 7 installation files. This way you will not need to use your friend's Windows 7 disk.

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
Related resources
June 28, 2010 6:02:06 PM

Is there a way to backup a copy of windows 7 to dvd from my harddrive? My computer did not come with the original windows 7 disk and had it installed already. Also, was what I was asking legal? If I borrow a cd and use my own serial number on my computer to install it. Thank you!
a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2010 6:44:57 PM

As long as you are using a legit serial number for the same version, I don't think the issue is as much legality, but if it will work.

Often those OEM versions (pre-installed on PCs) are tied directly to your motherboard/manufacturer, so there is no guarantee it will work. I tried unsuccessfully in the past with and XP install.

Good luck, but I'd say imaging software (Acronis, Ghost, etc) may be a cleaner option, or the system repair disc, as stated.
a c 232 $ Windows 7
June 28, 2010 7:59:47 PM

The "little sticker" is for the OEM license that was purchased with the PC. If that serial number corresponds with the version being installed (the friend's disk), the legality answer is YES. This is legal.

June 28, 2010 8:13:32 PM

To my knowledge, Microsoft doesn't really give a crap about where the media comes from, you could probably just have downloaded it from the internet; what matters is the type(OEM vs Retail)/version(Starter, Home, Pro, Ultimate, ...) tied to your key. As long as you get the exact same thing you should be legit as far as Microsoft is concerned. The key is also valid for both 32 bits and 64 bits versions.

However, if your PC is still under any kind of warranty/support contract, using a media that doesn't contain all of the manufacturer "customizations" could void this contract and/or give you some extra trouble. For example, after installation, Windows could be missing some drivers for built-in hardware like wireless adapters, touch pads, ...
a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2010 8:36:00 PM

It's the serial number that proves legitimate ownership - I have many XP Pro licenses and I use the same disc for all their installs. Similarly, at the office we're Action Pack subscribers and all the new stuff is done as a downloaded ISO, of which I burn my own discs.

The only thing you may see is that because OEM keys are generated differently to Retail keys, the installer itself way be coded to only accept one or the other. In which case using a Retail disc with an OEM serial won't work.
June 28, 2010 9:16:19 PM

As far as I know you can use any disc to install Windows. Even if your friend has 7 Ultimate and you have Home Premium you can still use this disc with your key. You will just get a Home Premium install. Even if you use an OEM disc with the key built into the install process you can still use it. As this will fail the activation process and you can simply put your own key in later.
June 29, 2010 9:08:27 PM

Hello arendell,

Just an FYI.

I would not recommend downloading Windows 7 from any other site than the Official Microsoft Sites.
Additionally, it's always best to make sure you have a genuine version of Windows 7, this will entitle you to recieve updates and support from Microsoft with Genuine Advantage.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.aspx?displayla...
"Microsoft Genuine Advantage programs, including Windows Genuine Advantage, help you determine whether or not your copy of Windows is genuine. Genuine Windows software is published by Microsoft, properly licensed, and supported by Microsoft or an authorized partner, giving you full capabilities, access to all the latest updates, and confidence that you are getting the experience you expect. Microsoft continues to invest in education, engineering, and enforcement in order to more effectively combat software piracy. It’s part of Microsoft’s commitment to help protect its intellectual property and to help you avoid problems before they happen."

Please make sure that you have a officially licensed microsoft product which can be ordered directly from Microsoft and Authorized Resellers:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/default.aspx

John M
Microsoft Windows Client Team
June 29, 2010 9:26:47 PM

windows7guy said:
Additionally, it's always best to make sure you have a genuine version of Windows 7, this will entitle you to receive updates and support from Microsoft with Genuine Advantage.
As far as we know, all we said shouldn't change the "Genuineness" of his Windows, that was the whole point the OP was trying to achieve.
windows7guy said:
I would not recommend downloading Windows 7 from any other site than the Official Microsoft Sites.
What are those Windows 7 official download sites except Technet which, correct me if I'm wrong, is not accessible for "common home users"? I, for example, have a license for Windows 7 Ultimate I got from the North American Bus Tour, but only the 32 bits media and would like the 64 bits one. What is the "proper" way to get a replacement media when one lost/damaged his (beside asking the IT guy where we work if he could d/l an ISO image from Technet :p )?
a b $ Windows 7
June 29, 2010 11:40:39 PM

a copy of his disc would work just fine and it shouldn't be an issue as long as you have your own key for windows
a b $ Windows 7
June 30, 2010 2:43:08 AM

huron said:
As long as you are using a legit serial number for the same version, I don't think the issue is as much legality, but if it will work.

Often those OEM versions (pre-installed on PCs) are tied directly to your motherboard/manufacturer, so there is no guarantee it will work. I tried unsuccessfully in the past with and XP install.

This is not correct. XP disks from big OEM's were not tied to a motherboard. They just preinstalled with an OEM SLP key and certificate. All you had to do was change the key and activate, assuming you had an OEM key of your own.

But this has changed somewhat with Vista/7 as the install disks now include all editons and install the correct version for your key. No more of the Retail, OEM, upgrade stuff XP users had to deal with.

a b $ Windows 7
June 30, 2010 2:52:25 AM

arendell said:

The answer to your question is yes it is legal because you have a license, and yes it will work. Providing they are the same edition (Home premium, Pro, ultimate, etc.). Some disks include multiple editions.

The keys are interchangeable between 32 bit and 64 bit. So that doesn't have to be the same.

If your friend has a disk from a big OEM like DELL and you have the same brand of system, it should activate automatically using OEM SLP activation. Which is a plus. You wont even have to install your key. It should do all of that for you.

Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
July 1, 2010 11:05:16 AM

Just a tidbit, you can turn any Windows 7 Disk into a Install any version disk like Vista was, Create ISO of Windows Install Disk ( gBurner is a good tool for this) then browse iso to file called ei.cfg in root of created iso and delete it, then burn iso and presto, you can use it to install the correct version you have a licence key for from menu like Vista disk used to!.

Mind you, make sure you install the correct version for your licence key or you will have to re-install, and no crappy hacked version of Windows is worth it.

If you want free Os use Linux, it rocks!! (Esp OpenSUSE for power users and Mint for set and forget users)

Besides OP says he wants to do clean re-install, let him do clean re-install, its sometimes better to re-install than fix crappy problems, back data up, re-install plus applications is always faster than 5hrs or more problem resolving!
a b $ Windows 7
July 1, 2010 4:01:49 PM

Anonymous said:
Just a tidbit, you can turn any Windows 7 Disk into a Install any version disk like Vista was, Create ISO of Windows Install Disk ( gBurner is a good tool for this) then browse iso to file called ei.cfg in root of created iso and delete it, then burn iso and presto, you can use it to install the correct version you have a licence key for from menu like Vista disk used to!.

Mind you, make sure you install the correct version for your licence key or you will have to re-install, and no crappy hacked version of Windows is worth it.

did not know about the cfg file, interesting (though i don't care since i get free licenses through college)

Anonymous said:
If you want free Os use Linux, it rocks!! (Esp OpenSUSE for power users and Mint for set and forget users)

oh yeah, just not if you are gaming (I prefer Arch linux and Linux From Scratch)

Anonymous said:
Besides OP says he wants to do clean re-install, let him do clean re-install, its sometimes better to re-install than fix crappy problems, back data up, re-install plus applications is always faster than 5hrs or more problem resolving!

re-installs are a very good idea, i do mine about every 6 months
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
July 1, 2010 10:00:13 PM

Thanks for the Tip mindless , Going to Give Arch Linux a whirl now over weekend :) 
a b $ Windows 7
July 1, 2010 10:06:53 PM

my guess is you will learn a bit in the process as well, btw its very lightweight if you want it to be (as you select the packages yourself)
!