Help buying laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

1. What is your budget?

Around $700

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

"notebook" form factor. Nothing shoulder smashing though as it would be carried in a messenger bag.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Anything that can display true 720P (1280X720) or higher.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?

At least 5 hours or more without playing games. I will play from the AC adapter.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Playing games. I play games like

Minecraft
TF2 & other lightweight FPS
Roblox
Possibly DiRT 3

TF2 high and ROBLOX maxed out. Minecraft will play with an 128x texture pack and "medium" shaders on Spoutcraft. Dirt 3 medium or low.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Web browsing and HD Youtube playback.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

500gb+ perferred

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Newegg please :)

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2-5 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Blu-Ray for forward compatibility.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Anything but Dell. Dells are known to have short lives and all sorts of motherboard problems.

13. What country do you live in?

US of A

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I would prefer an A-Series AMD Processor, perferably the A8 and A10 Trinity.

edit1754

Distinguished
May 14, 2012
HP DV6t (i3-3110M, NVIDIA GT 650M, 15.6" 1920x1080 matte IPS display) - $724 + tax ($769 + tax w/ i5-3210M)
- http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&config_id=7367534
- Use coupon code: NBY8552
- Don't: Downgrade to the 1366x768 display, unless you need the large text. You generally shouldn't buy the HP DV6 in any configuration that includes the 1366x768 display. 15.6" 1366x768 displays make things onscreen large, and tend to be low-tier LCD panels with very poor image quality due to low contrast.
- Don't: Downgrade the GPU to the GT 630M unless you only plan on doing light / moderate gaming. The GT 650M is considerably faster.
- Don't: Downgrade the GPU to integrated graphics unless you only plan on doing very light / no gaming. Integrated graphics will probably provide disappointing game performance in the majority of modern titles.
- Consider: Backlit keyboard, Larger/faster HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.