at start up system freezes and screen begins to go white

Running windowsxp and when I turn the computer on a white horizontal line
appears on the screen and then the screen begins to go white. It actually
looks like half an eyeball appears. If I hit any key it unfreezes and the
computer boots up fine other than I have to hit a key once again to get the
mouse pad to work properly. Also when the computer tries to hibernate it
turns off and then immediately turns on again and often the mouse pointer is
frozen. I have a sony vaio grx550. Would this be a software or virus type
problem or hardware?

Thanks Brad
1 answer Last reply
More about start system freezes screen begins white

    The system doesnt use the same drivers that are used by XP in IE,sounds
    hardware,video card maybe.Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press enter for
    password,then type:CHKDSK C: /R When its thru type:EXIT
    Try another video card and see what takes place,its always returnable.

    "Brad Dryborough" wrote:

    > Running windowsxp and when I turn the computer on a white horizontal line
    > appears on the screen and then the screen begins to go white. It actually
    > looks like half an eyeball appears. If I hit any key it unfreezes and the
    > computer boots up fine other than I have to hit a key once again to get the
    > mouse pad to work properly. Also when the computer tries to hibernate it
    > turns off and then immediately turns on again and often the mouse pointer is
    > frozen. I have a sony vaio grx550. Would this be a software or virus type
    > problem or hardware?
    >
    > Thanks Brad

Computers Windows XP