Windows degrading in speed over time - is it true?

Hi All,

I have 5 PCs running different versions of Windows, from XP to Me to 2000.
The slowest one is 1GHz. They are all getting ridiculously slow. I forever
sweep for viruses, malware and spyware, I defrag the HDD and the registry,
I've tried every system cleaner I can find, I've removed most of the software
I don't use, I've prayed to Buddah, Allah, Jehova and all the other greats
and I've seen no increase in speed. The Task MAnager says there's 99% CPU
time free. If that's true, why does it run so painfully slow? Even Benchmark
utilities say I'm up to snuff, but when it takes several seconds for the
"START" button to respond, and many more seconds for programs to invoke,
somethign's wrong.

I've heard tha tWindowa degreads over time and the only way out is a fresh
install. Any ideas anyone?
7 answers Last reply
More about windows degrading speed time true

    If all is up to typical standards,ram,video card,etc...Then one area
    overlooked
    is actually to remove the ram,video card and clean the contacts,take a #2
    eraser,clean with that.You can also use simple metal polish with q-tips also.
    In the course of 1 year,they get build up.Also,clean the fans with q-tips and
    Isopropyl Alcohol,same ingredient used in cleaning tape heads,cds,dvds,a
    bottle
    runs about .70 cents.

    "Wally" <Wally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have 5 PCs running different versions of Windows, from XP to Me to 2000.
    >The slowest one is 1GHz. They are all getting ridiculously slow. I forever
    >sweep for viruses, malware and spyware, I defrag the HDD and the registry,
    >I've tried every system cleaner I can find, I've removed most of the software
    >I don't use....

    Isn't there an issue with Winxp and the number of entries located in
    the My Documents folder? If that folder is getting fairly large, you
    might try making some subfolders under My Documents and sort the
    contents into these subfolders. For now, you could make a new folder
    somewhere and move everything from My Documents into that folder, then
    see if it runs any faster. If not, just move is all back.

    Upgrade the RAM to at least 512MB.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Wally" wrote:

    | Hi All,
    |
    | I have 5 PCs running different versions of Windows, from XP to Me to 2000.
    | The slowest one is 1GHz. They are all getting ridiculously slow. I forever
    | sweep for viruses, malware and spyware, I defrag the HDD and the registry,
    | I've tried every system cleaner I can find, I've removed most of the software
    | I don't use, I've prayed to Buddah, Allah, Jehova and all the other greats
    | and I've seen no increase in speed. The Task MAnager says there's 99% CPU
    | time free. If that's true, why does it run so painfully slow? Even Benchmark
    | utilities say I'm up to snuff, but when it takes several seconds for the
    | "START" button to respond, and many more seconds for programs to invoke,
    | somethign's wrong.
    |
    | I've heard tha tWindowa degreads over time and the only way out is a fresh
    | install. Any ideas anyone?

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0519-0, 05/09/2005
    Tested on: 5/9/2005 3:37:53 PM

    HI Carey,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have 512MB in my current (W2k) machine, and
    more than that in my XP machine. I forgot to put that in my orginal post,
    sorry.

    Wally

    "Wally" wrote:

    > I have 5 PCs running different versions of Windows, from XP to Me to 2000.
    > The slowest one is 1GHz. They are all getting ridiculously slow. I forever
    > sweep for viruses, malware and spyware, I defrag the HDD and the registry,
    > I've tried every system cleaner I can find, I've removed most of the software
    > I don't use, I've prayed to Buddah, Allah, Jehova and all the other greats
    > and I've seen no increase in speed. The Task MAnager says there's 99% CPU
    > time free. If that's true, why does it run so painfully slow? Even Benchmark
    > utilities say I'm up to snuff, but when it takes several seconds for the
    > "START" button to respond, and many more seconds for programs to invoke,
    > somethign's wrong.

    Open task manager again. Click on the performance tab. Compare "Total"
    under "Physical Memory (k)" with "Total" under "Commit Charge (k)." If the
    commit charge is near or above the total physical memory, your computer will
    slow down. If so, free up memory by closing programs you are not using.
    You may also try shutting down processes and services you don't need, but
    don't do it unless you know exactly what you are doing.

    If inadequate RAM isn't your problem, another possible cause is disk errors.
    Run chkdsk while enabling the options to fix errors automatically and to
    scan your hard drive for bad sectors. Doing so will require a reboot and may
    take awhile, depending on the size of your hard drive.

    How much have you attempted to "tweak" XP, or run third party system
    utilities, to squeeze additional performance from your computer? My long
    experience with XP is that the more you mess with how Microsoft designed XP
    to run, the worse it actually runs. Whenever you can, use the native
    utilities and resist the temptation to use such tweaks and third party
    software. Performance is about 95% a function of your CPU and RAM, i.e. a
    function of your hardware. The rest is attributable to the health of your
    hard drive. XP already has the tools you need to maintain and optimize your
    hard drive (chkdsk, Disk Cleanup, and Disk Defragmenter).

    > I've heard that Windows degrades over time and the only way out is a fresh
    > install. Any ideas anyone?

    This statement is half correct. A clean install is always the surest way to
    restore XP to peak operating condition. But Windows XP itself doesn't
    degrade over time. Usually, slowdowns are for other reasons, such as
    malware, disk errors, registry errors, failure to clean junk files, multiple
    installs and uninstalls of software, and other things of that kind. Also, if
    you installed an intrusive third-party system utility, such as Norton’s
    Systemworks, your computer will never recover fully.

    Ken

    Hi Andrew,

    Thanks for taking the time to answer. I agree with you that cleaning the
    contacts can clean things up electrically, yet it seems odd to me that 5
    machines would all have the same solution as this....

    Wally

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > If all is up to typical standards,ram,video card,etc...Then one area
    > overlooked
    > is actually to remove the ram,video card and clean the contacts,take a #2
    > eraser,clean with that.You can also use simple metal polish with q-tips also.
    > In the course of 1 year,they get build up.Also,clean the fans with q-tips and
    > Isopropyl Alcohol,same ingredient used in cleaning tape heads,cds,dvds,a
    > bottle
    > runs about .70 cents.
    >
    > "Wally" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I have 5 PCs running different versions of Windows, from XP to Me to 2000.
    > > The slowest one is 1GHz. They are all getting ridiculously slow. I forever
    > > sweep for viruses, malware and spyware, I defrag the HDD and the registry,
    > > I've tried every system cleaner I can find, I've removed most of the software
    > > I don't use, I've prayed to Buddah, Allah, Jehova and all the other greats
    > > and I've seen no increase in speed. The Task MAnager says there's 99% CPU
    > > time free. If that's true, why does it run so painfully slow? Even Benchmark
    > > utilities say I'm up to snuff, but when it takes several seconds for the
    > > "START" button to respond, and many more seconds for programs to invoke,
    > > somethign's wrong.
    > >
    > > I've heard tha tWindowa degreads over time and the only way out is a fresh
    > > install. Any ideas anyone?

    Hi There,

    I can try that, though I only have 150MB in that folder which doesn't seem
    like a lot, but I'll try it.

    Wally

    "Zilbandy" wrote:

    > "Wally" <Wally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have 5 PCs running different versions of Windows, from XP to Me to 2000.
    > >The slowest one is 1GHz. They are all getting ridiculously slow. I forever
    > >sweep for viruses, malware and spyware, I defrag the HDD and the registry,
    > >I've tried every system cleaner I can find, I've removed most of the software
    > >I don't use....
    >
    > Isn't there an issue with Winxp and the number of entries located in
    > the My Documents folder? If that folder is getting fairly large, you
    > might try making some subfolders under My Documents and sort the
    > contents into these subfolders. For now, you could make a new folder
    > somewhere and move everything from My Documents into that folder, then
    > see if it runs any faster. If not, just move is all back.

Windows XP