Latitude upgrade

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
February 27, 2005 2:22:04 AM

I have a Latitude LS, which I have found to be a superb machine. I love
ot's size (external CD and floppy) and also like the fact that it's
easily taken apart for RAM upgrade or repairs. However, I now want to
upgrade to a newer (not new) machine, preferably with ability to handle
at least 512mb RAM. Can someone tell me what replaced this machine - or
is there another Dell "micro" I should be looking out for on Ebay?
Thnx
Luap

More about : latitude upgrade

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 2:22:05 AM

In article <38cekgF5nos7aU1@individual.net>, luap@luap.co.uk says...

> I have a Latitude LS, which I have found to be a superb machine. I love
> ot's size (external CD and floppy) and also like the fact that it's
> easily taken apart for RAM upgrade or repairs. However, I now want to
> upgrade to a newer (not new) machine, preferably with ability to handle
> at least 512mb RAM. Can someone tell me what replaced this machine - or
> is there another Dell "micro" I should be looking out for on Ebay?

<snippety>

Can't speak for anyone else on this group, but I'm awfully pleased
with the Latitude C640 I bought from a Dell reseller on Ebay. It was a
system that had been turned in from executive lease, refurbed, and
tested. Works great, and I love the built-in wireless capability.

Happy hunting.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 7:20:26 AM

the latitude x300 has a very similar form factor as the latitude ls. it has
an optional 'media base' that can be left behind when you travel and is the
save size of the system (the system sits on top of the media base). the
media base includes a cd drive of your choice as well as ports so that it
can be used like a docking station. the ls was sort of clumsy the way you
had one thing for a dock, and external drives.... this is a good modern
alternative to the ls. but there is also another small machine, the
inspiron 700m, but it does not have the media base and does not seem to be
as well constructed as the latitude x300.

"Luap" <luap@luap.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have a Latitude LS, which I have found to be a superb machine. I love
>ot's size (external CD and floppy) and also like the fact that it's easily
>taken apart for RAM upgrade or repairs. However, I now want to upgrade to a
>newer (not new) machine, preferably with ability to handle at least 512mb
>RAM. Can someone tell me what replaced this machine - or is there another
>Dell "micro" I should be looking out for on Ebay?
> Thnx
> Luap
February 27, 2005 9:34:10 AM

I have to suggest, for an ultralight, that you look outside of the Dell
world. I owned the Dell LT (garbage) and the Inspiron 2100 (twin to the LS),
which was a great little machine.

When I was on the search for the modern replacement, I ended up with the IBM
Thinkpad X40. Wins every award for an ultralight and it is absolutely
deserving (I'm typing this on mine). Integrated 802.11b/g. Integrated
Bluetooth. DVD/CD-RW Dock.

The KEY to the decision is that it is indestructible. I didn't feel the
Dell's were nearly as strong.

Tom
> the latitude x300 has a very similar form factor as the latitude ls. it
> has an optional 'media base' that can be left behind when you travel and
> is the save size of the system (the system sits on top of the media base).
> the media base includes a cd drive of your choice as well as ports so that
> it can be used like a docking station. the ls was sort of clumsy the way
> you had one thing for a dock, and external drives.... this is a good
> modern alternative to the ls. but there is also another small machine,
> the inspiron 700m, but it does not have the media base and does not seem
> to be as well constructed as the latitude x300.
>
> "Luap" <luap@luap.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I have a Latitude LS, which I have found to be a superb machine. I love
>>ot's size (external CD and floppy) and also like the fact that it's easily
>>taken apart for RAM upgrade or repairs. However, I now want to upgrade to
>>a newer (not new) machine, preferably with ability to handle at least
>>512mb RAM. Can someone tell me what replaced this machine - or is there
>>another Dell "micro" I should be looking out for on Ebay?
>> Thnx
>> Luap

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 9:18:12 PM

The Latitude X300 is the replacement. Though the future is up in the
air because of the impending sale, IBM's ThinkPad X-series is tough to
beat as well. Toshiba also makes some nice ultralights - so does Sony,
but the support you'll get from them is horrendous.

Luap wrote:
> I have a Latitude LS, which I have found to be a superb machine. I love
> ot's size (external CD and floppy) and also like the fact that it's
> easily taken apart for RAM upgrade or repairs. However, I now want to
> upgrade to a newer (not new) machine, preferably with ability to handle
> at least 512mb RAM. Can someone tell me what replaced this machine - or
> is there another Dell "micro" I should be looking out for on Ebay?
> Thnx
> Luap
February 28, 2005 5:46:27 PM

Edward J. Neth wrote:
> The Latitude X300 is the replacement. Though the future is up in the
> air because of the impending sale, IBM's ThinkPad X-series is tough to
> beat as well. Toshiba also makes some nice ultralights - so does Sony,
> but the support you'll get from them is horrendous.

Thnx for all responsed so far!

Do you know the differene between an x300 and x200?

Lua
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 8:18:42 PM

x200 (discontinued as far as i know)
pentium 3, 133mhz fsb, 640mb max memory (128mb built it, one user acessable
slot that accepts up to 512mb), integrated video as part of intel 830mg chip
set, 1024x768 max resolution. a pretty slow machine by today's standards
but small like your ls and the x300. no integrated wireless. i would not
buy it today. did buy it in its day... generally has had not had problems
but the screen hindge has failed on several of them.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latx200/?...

x300
pentium m, centrino (long battery life), 255mhz fsb, 1152mb max memory
(128mb built it, one user acessable slot that accepts up to 512mb),
integrated video as part of intel 855gm chip set, 1024x768 on internal
display but supports up to 1600x1200 on external monitor/projector, 64mb
shared system ram for video, integrated wireless optional.

> Edward J. Neth wrote:
>> The Latitude X300 is the replacement. Though the future is up in the air
>> because of the impending sale, IBM's ThinkPad X-series is tough to beat
>> as well. Toshiba also makes some nice ultralights - so does Sony, but
>> the support you'll get from them is horrendous.
>>

> Thnx for all responsed so far!
>
> Do you know the differene between an x300 and x200?
>
> Lua
March 1, 2005 12:48:15 PM

THanks!
Lua