HL2 pre load starts 8/17

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
News News...

Gabe Newell has officially posted in <A HREF="http://www.hl2fallout.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2369" target="_new">this forum</A> that Hl2 preload start 8/17.

So HL2 is getting close.

<i> :evil: <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :evil: </i>
<b>Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now.</b>

eden

Champion
What is he meaning with pre-loading?

--

<font color=red>NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
<font color=white>XXXXXXX<font color=green>S<font color=white>XXXXXXX
XXXXXX<font color=green>SSS<font color=white>XXXXXX
XXXXX<font color=green>SS<font color=orange>g</font color=orange>SS<font color=white>XXXXX
<font color=red>NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN</font color=green></font color=white>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
they publish using steam...u download the game rather than buying the box...so its starting to dowload...it will be done till the release day. pre loading prevents bandwidth bottleneck during thr release day.

<i> :evil: <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :evil: </i>

Marvelii

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2001
So does this mean they are not going to release the game boxed?

Shuttle XPC SN45G
Athlon XP 3200+
nForce2 Ultra 400
Corsair 512mb ddr400
Radeon 9800 Pro
Western Digital 160GB HDD
Toshiba DVD-RW

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
I'm sure they will. It might not hit shelves till a little later though.

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

eden

Champion
They were expecting a September release date anyways.

EBGames should soon even start allowing reservations.

--

<font color=red>NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
<font color=white>XXXXXXX<font color=green>S<font color=white>XXXXXXX
XXXXXX<font color=green>SSS<font color=white>XXXXXX
XXXXX<font color=green>SS<font color=orange>g</font color=orange>SS<font color=white>XXXXX
<font color=red>NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN</font color=green></font color=white>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
It will be just like they gave out condition zero. It starts preloading and completes abt a week 10 days before release. But remains locked. As soon as it releases in the stores..the boxed ones..they unlock the game on the computer. So its a fast way of getting the game..prevents piracy too.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I have yet to see ANYTHING that prevents piracy.

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
oh yeah, ofcourse if they are giving box sets there will be piracy. Just like they authenciate online when playing multiplayer, if they start that for playing locally, it will reduce piracy to bare min.

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
How are they going to authenticate locally anymore than they do now? All you need is a cracked cd-key. Those aren't hard to find.

And I seriously doubt even the Steam downloaded versions of HL2 will be impervious to becoming cracked and uploaded to bittorrent servers.

--
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
Athlon 64 3200+ Newcastle
1gb Corsair XMS pc3200
ATI 9800np 256-bit 128mb
3dMark01: 20,503 3dMark03: 6359 Aquamark3: 46,653

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
That's what I'm hoping for.

<font color=blue>The day <font color=green>Microsoft</font color=green> will make something that doesn't suck is the day they'll start making vacuum cleaners.</font color=blue>

G

Yeah IMO 10 days is more than enough to crack the lock!
Maybe if you remove your itnernet connection and change the date youllbe able to play before! lool

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Ok, if you play Counter strike or any current game they have with a cracked CD Key, you get kicked off their multiplayer server. So if they incorporate this into their local games, like before playing you gotto authenciate your key online (this is bad for people without fast connections) and then they activate your game and you can play it. Now there database should only have the keys thats they gave out with the games so that random key gens dont work.

Also like pre loaded files can be seen on the comp, i can email it to anyone, but nobody can play bcos it wont be an executable. There will be no place to start a game.

Well, it can be made better. In either way we all dont want that, bcos some games outta be bought while others only downloaded.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Don't think so. Some games have tried approaches similar to what you're suggesting... Painkiller is one of them. I could not play multiplayer even on a LAN, as it wanted to authenticate with a server first. But guess what... I got a crack for that. I still can't play on online multiplayer servers, as will be the case with HL2 (except I'll buy it), but even IF they tried something like you're suggesting for LAN play, or single player, it could be cracked. You could make the game think it has authenticated, or skip the process.

Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
when u say server...do u mean a server on your LAN. I was meaning they have a central server lying in Gabe's House.

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
All the cracks have to be installed on both the client and the server.

<font color=blue>The day <font color=green>Microsoft</font color=green> will make something that doesn't suck is the day they'll start making vacuum cleaners.</font color=blue>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
how does one get into Gabe's House to do that ? :tongue:

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
If you trick a local server and a local client into thinking the verification is complete.

It's like the activation thing in WXP. No one needs to break into MS HQ to crack windows. Or like Halo; you can play on the internet only if someone has a cracked server set up, which almost never happens.

The best protection system is, IMO, Battlenet by Blizzard. No way to crack that, and W3 is useless without internet play.

eden

Champion
How is it you can't crack Battlenet?!

I can play StarCraft with most random keys out there.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.php" target="_new">The THGC Photo Album revision Eden, faster updated than ever before!</A>

eden

Champion
That's what I'm hoping for.
I couldn't possibly respect someone if they downloaded the game, liked it, and never bought it. Same as with DOOM III.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.php" target="_new">The THGC Photo Album revision Eden, faster updated than ever before!</A>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
:'(

eden

Champion
Yeah I don't respect your decision man, it's just flat out disrespectful towards the hard working guys at iD, especially Carmack. 5 years of work for a free product? No way IMO.

Well you better buy HL2.

--
<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.php" target="_new">The THGC Photo Album revision Eden, faster updated than ever before!</A></font color=red>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
They work really hard at making Windows too, but who pays for that? I would feel bad about it, because I do want Carmack to make money, but I don't because I know he IS making money, just not off me. They'll still make millions.

I will buy HL2 though, because I want multiplayer and Steam and free addons and junk like that.

pauldh

Illustrious
I buy Windows; For every machine I build. The cost sucks for sure, but I see it as the only option besides Linux.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Tyvy

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2001
Un plug internet cable... play game local multiplayer .. :D

<font color=green>P4 2.4c @ 2.8
Asus P4P800
MSI R9800 Pro 128
1Gb DDR 2700 [Dual Channel]
80Gb WD </font color=green>