Restoring deleted pictures

May 10, 2005 1:32:01 AM

I have been mortified that I accidentally deleted a lot of precious pictures
of my family that I have been taking with my digital camera since 2201. I
tried to restore my computure to an earlier date and that didn't help.
Tonight as I was attempting to use one of my picture software programs (kodak
easy share) I foud them all and tried to save them but was promted with a
message that states the files has been deleted or removed. How can I
recuperate these pictures if I can still see them in this program?
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 1:32:02 AM

First of all, System Restore is not a backup utility. It keeps a snapshot
of certain system files, but does not backup user created files.

If you deleted them and have emptied the Recycle Bin, then the chances of
getting your photos back is slight.

Please do not be offended by what I am about to say...

You should have been backing your photos up on a regular basis. Hard Drives
can and do go bad. You cannot depend on your computer hard drive to store
your family photos. In addition to the chance that the drive may go bad,
users can inadvertently delete files as you have done. If your photos are
gone, and you did not back the photos up to CD or DVD, then they are fine,
and it is your failure to back them up that caused their loss.

System Restore does not back up your photos. It does not back up your files
that you create. System Restore only monitors and restores a very specific
set of files and folders. You cannot depend on system restore to back up
any data you create.

Live and Learn .

In the future, get into the habit of backing up your photos regularly, and
doing it often.

Bobby

"mommyof3" <mommyof3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been mortified that I accidentally deleted a lot of precious
>pictures
> of my family that I have been taking with my digital camera since 2201. I
> tried to restore my computure to an earlier date and that didn't help.
> Tonight as I was attempting to use one of my picture software programs
> (kodak
> easy share) I foud them all and tried to save them but was promted with a
> message that states the files has been deleted or removed. How can I
> recuperate these pictures if I can still see them in this program?
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:56:17 PM

Hi,

Assuming you have already checked the recycle bin...

The more you use the system the more chance of never getting them
back. The chance of being over written increases.

System Restore does not monitor these type files.
Monitored File Types in System Restore
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/filetypes.html

This utility may help restore the files.
Restoration download and review - file undelete utility from SnapFiles
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

mommyof3 wrote:
> I have been mortified that I accidentally deleted a lot
> of precious pictures of my family that I have been taking
> with my digital camera since 2201. I tried to restore my
> computure to an earlier date and that didn't help.
> Tonight as I was attempting to use one of my picture
> software programs (kodak easy share) I foud them all and
> tried to save them but was promted with a message that
> states the files has been deleted or removed. How can I
> recuperate these pictures if I can still see them in this
> program?
Related resources
May 10, 2005 6:48:59 PM

Select the name or number of one from the ones in "kodak easy share" and
search your whole C-drive for it. They may just have been relocated to
another folder.

--

johnf

>I have been mortified that I accidentally deleted a lot of precious
> pictures of my family that I have been taking with my digital camera
> since 2201. I tried to restore my computure to an earlier date and
> that didn't help. Tonight as I was attempting to use one of my picture
> software programs (kodak easy share) I foud them all and tried to save
> them but was promted with a message that states the files has been
> deleted or removed. How can I recuperate these pictures if I can still
> see them in this program?
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 6:49:00 PM

Hi John,
Thanks for the reply. I desperately tried to do just that several times over
and over. No luck. I was elated when I saw the pictures but they are not in
the folder where they were originally stored.

"johnf" wrote:

> Select the name or number of one from the ones in "kodak easy share" and
> search your whole C-drive for it. They may just have been relocated to
> another folder.
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
> >I have been mortified that I accidentally deleted a lot of precious
> > pictures of my family that I have been taking with my digital camera
> > since 2201. I tried to restore my computure to an earlier date and
> > that didn't help. Tonight as I was attempting to use one of my picture
> > software programs (kodak easy share) I foud them all and tried to save
> > them but was promted with a message that states the files has been
> > deleted or removed. How can I recuperate these pictures if I can still
> > see them in this program?

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 1:28:46 PM

If your Kodak software creats its own thumbnails, then that is what your
proberbly seeing.

What you need is an uneraser that will scan your drive.

Something like Nortons Unerase Wizard which can be run from the Utilites
CD.

Anything that you install to your drive may overwrite the deleted pictures.
!