cannot change background or appearance and themes on deskt..

I am unable to change my background on desktop and when I go to change
computer's appearance and themes in the control panel nothing happens
when I click to open the program. When I tried to go to add windows
components (thinking somehow it may have been deleted) I got an error
message...I also tried reinstalling "some windows components" from
installation disk and got the same error...the error was
"Setup library desk.cpl could not be loaded, or function
DisplayOcSetupProc could not be found.
Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x7e"
Can anyone tell me how to restore control to personalizing my desktop?
If so my email is rdcars(remove this)@cox-internet.com Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about cannot change background appearance themes deskt

    To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
    2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    <rdcars@cox-internet.com> wrote in message news:1115729039.006531.26990@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
    >I am unable to change my background on desktop and when I go to change
    > computer's appearance and themes in the control panel nothing happens
    > when I click to open the program. When I tried to go to add windows
    > components (thinking somehow it may have been deleted) I got an error
    > message...I also tried reinstalling "some windows components" from
    > installation disk and got the same error...the error was
    > "Setup library desk.cpl could not be loaded, or function
    > DisplayOcSetupProc could not be found.
    > Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x7e"
    > Can anyone tell me how to restore control to personalizing my desktop?
    > If so my email is rdcars(remove this)@cox-internet.com Thanks

    I did the sfc /scannow but it did not fix the problem. I still am
    unable to go into the desktop properties. Any more ideas?? I am
    stumped.
    Diana

    Properties are sometimes disabled due to entries in the 'new' category.

    Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

    If your interested in how you may have acquired such things....

    Customizing Right-Click Menu Options in Windows: http://www.jfitz.com/tips/rclick_custom.html

    --

    <rdcars@cox-internet.com> wrote in message news:1115810870.842968.151770@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > I did the sfc /scannow but it did not fix the problem. I still am
    > unable to go into the desktop properties. Any more ideas?? I am
    > stumped.
    > Diana

    i fixed my problem by expanding the missing file to the windows setup
    directory from the installation disk. Thats it easy!!!

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > Properties are sometimes disabled due to entries in the 'new' category.
    >
    > Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
    >
    > If your interested in how you may have acquired such things....
    >
    > Customizing Right-Click Menu Options in Windows: http://www.jfitz.com/tips/rclick_custom.html
    >

    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > <rdcars@cox-internet.com> wrote in message news:1115810870.842968.151770@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > > I did the sfc /scannow but it did not fix the problem. I still am
    > > unable to go into the desktop properties. Any more ideas?? I am
    > > stumped.
    > > Diana

  5. i cannot change my theme even i copy the theme which i downloaded to windows -resources-themes

    so please help me

    thanks

Windows XP