Hey all.

I'm going to be working on a Wells K6401 tomorrow. I figured it would be a
good time to take some pictures for those interested in what they look like.
I looked on the internet and didn't find too much info on these monitors. I
figured some good PICs would be cool.

Anyone have any web space to host the pics?

--
Matt

M and M Electronics
6661 Stanford Ranch Road
Suite F PMB 105
Rocklin, Ca 95677
916-275-5871

Matt Mac Donagh wrote:
> Hey all.
>
> I'm going to be working on a Wells K6401 tomorrow. I figured it would
be a
> good time to take some pictures for those interested in what they
look like.
> I looked on the internet and didn't find too much info on these
monitors. I
> figured some good PICs would be cool.
>
> Anyone have any web space to host the pics?

Matt-

I have a bunch of space - email them to me and I'll host them if you
want.

Steve P.

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

I have some pics of a rare wells 6461

http://troysarcade.com/rare/monitors/xy_wells_6461_rare/

I have room for pics also, if you want to spread them out.

Troy,

Matt Mac Donagh <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey all.
>
> I'm going to be working on a Wells K6401 tomorrow. I figured it would be a
> good time to take some pictures for those interested in what they look
like.
> I looked on the internet and didn't find too much info on these monitors.
> figured some good PICs would be cool.
>
> Anyone have any web space to host the pics?
>
> --
> Matt
>
> M and M Electronics
> 6661 Stanford Ranch Road
> Suite F PMB 105
> Rocklin, Ca 95677
> 916-275-5871

Your post prompted me to revisit my project. I'm still looking for a HV
unit for the 6400. Anybody have one for sale or trade? Anybody?

http://pweb.netcom.com/~p1001/6400A.JPG
http://pweb.netcom.com/~p1001/6400B.JPG
http://pweb.netcom.com/~p1001/6400C.JPG

Hans O

Matt Mac Donagh wrote:

> Hey all.
>
> I'm going to be working on a Wells K6401 tomorrow. I figured it would be a
> good time to take some pictures for those interested in what they look like.
> I looked on the internet and didn't find too much info on these monitors. I
> figured some good PICs would be cool.
>
> Anyone have any web space to host the pics?

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

Let me guess, you bought that Aztarac I missed on the group last year. Beat
me to it.
I think you can just use a reg 6100 hv for that.
Doesn't look like any difference to me.
I could be wrong.

Troy,

Hans O <p1001@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Your post prompted me to revisit my project. I'm still looking for a HV
> unit for the 6400. Anybody have one for sale or trade? Anybody?
>
> http://pweb.netcom.com/~p1001/6400A.JPG
> http://pweb.netcom.com/~p1001/6400B.JPG
> http://pweb.netcom.com/~p1001/6400C.JPG
>
> Hans O
>
> Matt Mac Donagh wrote:
>
> > Hey all.
> >
> > I'm going to be working on a Wells K6401 tomorrow. I figured it would be
> > good time to take some pictures for those interested in what they look
like.
> > I looked on the internet and didn't find too much info on these
monitors. I
> > figured some good PICs would be cool.
> >
> > Anyone have any web space to host the pics?

I'd be willing to bet that an Arcadeshop HV board will work too.

"Troy" <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote in message
> Let me guess, you bought that Aztarac I missed on the group last year.
> Beat
> me to it.
> I think you can just use a reg 6100 hv for that.
> Doesn't look like any difference to me.
> I could be wrong.
>

> Troy,
>

> Hans O <p1001@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> Your post prompted me to revisit my project. I'm still looking for a HV
>> unit for the 6400. Anybody have one for sale or trade? Anybody?
>>
>> http://pweb.netcom.com/~p1001/6400A.JPG
>> http://pweb.netcom.com/~p1001/6400B.JPG
>> http://pweb.netcom.com/~p1001/6400C.JPG
>>
>> Hans O
>>
>> Matt Mac Donagh wrote:
>>
>> > Hey all.
>> >
>> > I'm going to be working on a Wells K6401 tomorrow. I figured it would
>> > be
>> > good time to take some pictures for those interested in what they look
> like.
>> > I looked on the internet and didn't find too much info on these
> monitors. I
>> > figured some good PICs would be cool.
>> >
>> > Anyone have any web space to host the pics?

While it appears the 6100 and 6400 unit are quite similar, they are not.
David Fish wrote a great piece documenting both monitors. The 6100 is
designed to run on plus and minus 25v. The 6400 runs on plus 45v only.
Basically the same circuit with the voltages shifted (i.e. - 25v in now
at 0v, 0v is now 22.5v, etc). In theory, a 6100 HV unit can be modified
to function in the 6400 by modifying the circuit and swapping some
components to compensate for the higher voltage. I think David even
spelled out the details. Unfortunately he never had the need to convert
a unit to prove his theory. The only if, and it's a big if, is if the HV
transformers are the same. I can't imagine that WG used a different
transformer, but then I've never had one to compare.

I also had some indirect contact with Fred "Juice28" from Iowa last
year. He ran the numbers and developed a hack to convert his aftermarket
HV units to work on the 6400. Unfortunately he took a leave of absence
before I could get the specifics or a unit to try it out on.

To summarize, anybody got a spare 6400 HV unit for sale?
Hans O

> Let me guess, you bought that Aztarac I missed on the group last year. Beat
> me to it.
> I think you can just use a reg 6100 hv for that.
> Doesn't look like any difference to me.
> I could be wrong.
>

> Troy,
>

> Hans O <p1001@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>
>>Your post prompted me to revisit my project. I'm still looking for a HV
>>unit for the 6400. Anybody have one for sale or trade? Anybody?
>>
>>http://pweb.netcom.com/~p1001/6400A.JPG
>>http://pweb.netcom.com/~p1001/6400B.JPG
>>http://pweb.netcom.com/~p1001/6400C.JPG
>>
>>Hans O
>>
>>Matt Mac Donagh wrote:
>>

>>>Hey all.
>>>
>>>I'm going to be working on a Wells K6401 tomorrow. I figured it would be

>>>good time to take some pictures for those interested in what they look
>
> like.
>
>>>I looked on the internet and didn't find too much info on these
>
> monitors. I
>
>>>figured some good PICs would be cool.
>>>
>>>Anyone have any web space to host the pics?

One quick request to those of you with 6400's. Can you tell me if the input
AC voltages are the same as the 6100 and/or the Amplifone? I looked over the
schematics I have and it looks to me like its the same but I want to be 100%
sure it is before I plug this thing into my Star Wars or Tempest.

It has to be the same... Right? Its been 15+ years since I've seen one of
these monitors. Back then I put one into a Dedicated Sega Star Trek and
86'ed that GO8. The monitor ran great for about 1.5 years until the owner of
the game sold it. I had to put fans on the heatsinks but the damn thing had
a great picture. I pulled the transformer out of one of the MANY Exidy Top
Gunner's that we trashed. Too bad I didn't save more of the monitors. We
trashed about 25 of those damn games.... :-(

Matt

"Matt Mac Donagh" <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey all.
>
> I'm going to be working on a Wells K6401 tomorrow. I figured it would be a
> good time to take some pictures for those interested in what they look
> like. I looked on the internet and didn't find too much info on these
> monitors. I figured some good PICs would be cool.
>
> Anyone have any web space to host the pics?
>
> --
> Matt
>
> M and M Electronics
> 6661 Stanford Ranch Road
> Suite F PMB 105
> Rocklin, Ca 95677
> 916-275-5871

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

I'm not 100%, but I would think it will work fine.
The one in my pic has some tempest burn, so it must.
Sorry I don't own one, wish I did.

By the way, what game are you fixing this for?
Did you just come across it as a spare or was it installed in the game your
fixing?
I have a reg 6100 I would trade you for it, if it won't work for you.

> One quick request to those of you with 6400's. Can you tell me if the
input
> AC voltages are the same as the 6100 and/or the Amplifone? I looked over
the
> schematics I have and it looks to me like its the same but I want to be
100%
> sure it is before I plug this thing into my Star Wars or Tempest.
>
> It has to be the same... Right? Its been 15+ years since I've seen one of
> these monitors. Back then I put one into a Dedicated Sega Star Trek and
> 86'ed that GO8. The monitor ran great for about 1.5 years until the owner
of
> the game sold it. I had to put fans on the heatsinks but the damn thing
had
> a great picture. I pulled the transformer out of one of the MANY Exidy Top
> Gunner's that we trashed. Too bad I didn't save more of the monitors. We
> trashed about 25 of those damn games.... :-(
>
> Matt
>
> "Matt Mac Donagh" <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hey all.
> >
> > I'm going to be working on a Wells K6401 tomorrow. I figured it would be
> > good time to take some pictures for those interested in what they look
> > like. I looked on the internet and didn't find too much info on these
> > monitors. I figured some good PICs would be cool.
> >
> > Anyone have any web space to host the pics?
> >
> > --
> > Matt
> >
> > M and M Electronics
> > 6661 Stanford Ranch Road
> > Suite F PMB 105
> > Rocklin, Ca 95677
> > 916-275-5871

What game did the 6461 come from? Never heard of this one before.

Joe

>I have some pics of a rare wells 6461
>
> http://troysarcade.com/rare/monitors/xy_wells_6461_rare/
>
> I have room for pics also, if you want to spread them out.
>
> Troy,
>

> Matt Mac Donagh <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hey all.
>>
>> I'm going to be working on a Wells K6401 tomorrow. I figured it would be
>> good time to take some pictures for those interested in what they look
> like.
>> I looked on the internet and didn't find too much info on these monitors.
>> figured some good PICs would be cool.
>>
>> Anyone have any web space to host the pics?
>>
>> --
>> Matt
>>
>> M and M Electronics
>> 6661 Stanford Ranch Road
>> Suite F PMB 105
>> Rocklin, Ca 95677
>> 916-275-5871

Good question. Looks like Tempest screen burn. Do tell, if it's not a
6401 but a 6461, what game did it originally come from?

> What game did the 6461 come from? Never heard of this one before.
>
> Joe
>
> "Troy" <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have some pics of a rare wells 6461
>>
>>http://troysarcade.com/rare/monitors/xy_wells_6461_rare/
>>
>>I have room for pics also, if you want to spread them out.
>>
>>Troy,
>>

>>Matt Mac Donagh <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hey all.
>>>
>>>I'm going to be working on a Wells K6401 tomorrow. I figured it would be
>>>good time to take some pictures for those interested in what they look
>>
>>like.
>>
>>>I looked on the internet and didn't find too much info on these monitors.

>>>figured some good PICs would be cool.
>>>
>>>Anyone have any web space to host the pics?
>>>
>>>--
>>>Matt
>>>
>>>M and M Electronics
>>>6661 Stanford Ranch Road
>>>Suite F PMB 105
>>>Rocklin, Ca 95677
>>>916-275-5871

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

Aztarac and some cosmic chasm's
however cosmic chasm also came with a G08-105, that came exclusively in
cosmic chasm only.

Troy,

Joe Magiera <joemagiera@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> What game did the 6461 come from? Never heard of this one before.
>
> Joe
>
> "Troy" <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote in message
> >I have some pics of a rare wells 6461
> >
> > http://troysarcade.com/rare/monitors/xy_wells_6461_rare/
> >
> > I have room for pics also, if you want to spread them out.
> >
> > Troy,
> >

> > Matt Mac Donagh <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hey all.
> >>
> >> I'm going to be working on a Wells K6401 tomorrow. I figured it would
be
> >> good time to take some pictures for those interested in what they look
> > like.
> >> I looked on the internet and didn't find too much info on these
monitors.
> >> figured some good PICs would be cool.
> >>
> >> Anyone have any web space to host the pics?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Matt
> >>
> >> M and M Electronics
> >> 6661 Stanford Ranch Road
> >> Suite F PMB 105
> >> Rocklin, Ca 95677
> >> 916-275-5871

Its for a friend for his Aztarac....

> I'm not 100%, but I would think it will work fine.
> The one in my pic has some tempest burn, so it must.
> Sorry I don't own one, wish I did.
>
> By the way, what game are you fixing this for?
> Did you just come across it as a spare or was it installed in the game
> your
> fixing?
> I have a reg 6100 I would trade you for it, if it won't work for you.
>

> Troy,
>

> Matt Mac Donagh <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> One quick request to those of you with 6400's. Can you tell me if the
> input
>> AC voltages are the same as the 6100 and/or the Amplifone? I looked over
> the
>> schematics I have and it looks to me like its the same but I want to be
> 100%
>> sure it is before I plug this thing into my Star Wars or Tempest.
>>
>> It has to be the same... Right? Its been 15+ years since I've seen one of
>> these monitors. Back then I put one into a Dedicated Sega Star Trek and
>> 86'ed that GO8. The monitor ran great for about 1.5 years until the owner
> of
>> the game sold it. I had to put fans on the heatsinks but the damn thing
> had
>> a great picture. I pulled the transformer out of one of the MANY Exidy
>> Top
>> Gunner's that we trashed. Too bad I didn't save more of the monitors. We
>> trashed about 25 of those damn games.... :-(
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> "Matt Mac Donagh" <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hey all.
>> >
>> > I'm going to be working on a Wells K6401 tomorrow. I figured it would
>> > be
>> > good time to take some pictures for those interested in what they look
>> > like. I looked on the internet and didn't find too much info on these
>> > monitors. I figured some good PICs would be cool.
>> >
>> > Anyone have any web space to host the pics?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Matt
>> >
>> > M and M Electronics
>> > 6661 Stanford Ranch Road
>> > Suite F PMB 105
>> > Rocklin, Ca 95677
>> > 916-275-5871

Wish I could find the info I used to have on the WG 6400 but I'm sure it's still
on the web somewhere. I am almost certain it requires a different input
voltage. Much like the color vectors (6100, Amplifone) use a different voltage
than the B&W vectors. Accomplished through a different transformer in the
"brick" or at least by tapping different windings on it.

I'd sure search like hell on this topic before just blindly plugging a rare
monitor like a WG 6400 into a brick intended for a 6100. Just my opinion : )

Richard