cdrom.sys corrupted error 39

Status
Not open for further replies.

OS: XP SP2

PROBLEM: CDROM's disappeared from Windows Explorer

Both CD-DVD and CD-RW show up in Device Manager with yellow tags.
TROUBLESHOOT: cdrom.sys corrupted error 39

Unsuccessful Attempts Troubleshooting:
Uninstalled Devices, CD ROMs and IDE Controller from Device Manager

I tried deleting cdrom.sys from system32, but the corrupted file pops back
in like a virus.

Scandisk doesn't detect anything wrong with cdrom.sys

I tried Update Driver and the ^*&&*^*^% Microsoft OS says it can't find a
better driver than the corrupted one on the OS already. There is no facility
in the Update to force an update and re-install a clean driver. The Update
Driver search option should be able to point to
http://www.microsoft.com/xp/SP2/drivers on-line, (since the CD roms are
incapacitated.)

CAUSE OF PROBLEM: Last thing before loosing the CD Rom's , I unplugged a USB
port by accident before shutting it down.

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, ­Code 32,
Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Wi­ndows XP

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
[Start > Run and type: REGEDIT , and hit enter]

2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value,
if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need
to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. Restart your computer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Power Mac" wrote:

| OS: XP SP2
|
| PROBLEM: CDROM's disappeared from Windows Explorer
|
| Both CD-DVD and CD-RW show up in Device Manager with yellow tags.
| TROUBLESHOOT: cdrom.sys corrupted error 39
|
| Unsuccessful Attempts Troubleshooting:
| Uninstalled Devices, CD ROMs and IDE Controller from Device Manager
|
| I tried deleting cdrom.sys from system32, but the corrupted file pops back
| in like a virus.
|
| Scandisk doesn't detect anything wrong with cdrom.sys
|
| I tried Update Driver and the ^*&&*^*^% Microsoft OS says it can't find a
| better driver than the corrupted one on the OS already. There is no facility
| in the Update to force an update and re-install a clean driver. The Update
| Driver search option should be able to point to
| http://www.microsoft.com/xp/SP2/drivers on-line, (since the CD roms are
| incapacitated.)
|
| CAUSE OF PROBLEM: Last thing before loosing the CD Rom's , I unplugged a USB
| port by accident before shutting it down.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-0, 05/09/2005
Tested on: 5/10/2005 10:40:34 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q270008/

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Power Mac" <nospam@mackville.com> wrote in message
> OS: XP SP2
>
> PROBLEM: CDROM's disappeared from Windows Explorer
>
> Both CD-DVD and CD-RW show up in Device Manager with yellow tags.
> TROUBLESHOOT: cdrom.sys corrupted error 39
>
> Unsuccessful Attempts Troubleshooting:
> Uninstalled Devices, CD ROMs and IDE Controller from Device Manager
>
> I tried deleting cdrom.sys from system32, but the corrupted file pops back
> in like a virus.
>
> Scandisk doesn't detect anything wrong with cdrom.sys
>
> I tried Update Driver and the ^*&&*^*^% Microsoft OS says it can't find a
> better driver than the corrupted one on the OS already. There is no
> facility in the Update to force an update and re-install a clean driver.
> The Update Driver search option should be able to point to
> http://www.microsoft.com/xp/SP2/drivers on-line, (since the CD roms are
> incapacitated.)
>
> CAUSE OF PROBLEM: Last thing before loosing the CD Rom's , I unplugged a
> USB port by accident before shutting it down.

Carey,

Feedback: That is magical, now someone figure out how to make the fix
transparent to the user. I feel the configuration woos of the DOS days are
lingering in the OS. Someone is smarter than this, or not? I would be
obliged to expound. Put the lime in the coconut and then you'll feel better.
Put the KB in the OS and then we'll feel better.

Thankyou and much appreciated,
Power Mack

> CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, ­Code 32,
> Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Wi­ndows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060
>
> To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
>
> 1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
> [Start > Run and type: REGEDIT , and hit enter]
>
> 2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
>
> 3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
>
> 4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
>
> 5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
>
> 6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and
> the Lowerfilters value,
> if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD
> recording software, you may need
> to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the
> software vendor for assistance.
>
> 7. Restart your computer.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Power Mac" wrote:
>
> | OS: XP SP2
> |
> | PROBLEM: CDROM's disappeared from Windows Explorer
> |
> | Both CD-DVD and CD-RW show up in Device Manager with yellow tags.
> | TROUBLESHOOT: cdrom.sys corrupted error 39
> |
> | Unsuccessful Attempts Troubleshooting:
> | Uninstalled Devices, CD ROMs and IDE Controller from Device Manager
> |
> | I tried deleting cdrom.sys from system32, but the corrupted file pops
> back
> | in like a virus.
> |
> | Scandisk doesn't detect anything wrong with cdrom.sys
> |
> | I tried Update Driver and the ^*&&*^*^% Microsoft OS says it can't find
> | better driver than the corrupted one on the OS already. There is no
> facility
> | in the Update to force an update and re-install a clean driver. The
> Update
> | Driver search option should be able to point to
> | http://www.microsoft.com/xp/SP2/drivers on-line, (since the CD roms are
> | incapacitated.)
> |
> | CAUSE OF PROBLEM: Last thing before loosing the CD Rom's , I unplugged a
> USB
> | port by accident before shutting it down.
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0519-0, 05/09/2005
> Tested on: 5/10/2005 10:40:34 AM

jr1999

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Tom's Hardware:
Thanks for your help!
This same error 39 showed on my brand new Toshiba Satellite.
But I followed your steps described here and I got my optical CD Rom up and working again.
I really do know how this occured but I am glad this site was around.
Your are now part of my favorites.
Again Thanks and God bless yah!

JD / Central America

Once the drivers, simply follow these steps:
Control Panel/Add Hardware
The Add Hardware wizard opens
Click Next
Scroll down the list and select "Add a new hardware device" then click "Next"
Then "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list"
Browse the tree to the location of the driver or by default to c:\windows\inf

Abdulkayoom

I just had a user with a Win7 laptop come in with a non working DVD Ram drive. Error message in device manager was 'Cannot start driver' & it wouldn't let me re-install, installation always failed.

I tried Carey's solution above and it worked a treat.

Thanks for that.

b1naryatr0phy

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Thanx Carey, fix worked perfectly for me :D

In my case (I've got Win7x64) I had just installed a bluetooth dongle, along with its software, prior to losing functionality of both my physical and virtual drives.

@Power Mack: to me this appears to be a problem caused by third party software. I'm not a huge Microsoft fan but perhaps you should direct your opinions towards the n00b software vendor coders and not the Microsoft coders ;)