Driver for Inspiron 4000/Windows 2000 87 Key Keyboard

I just bought Windows 2000 for a laptop that could have come with
either Windows 2000 or ME. How do I get the Dell driver for the
keyboard, which is listed as:
3C048 KEYBOARD, 87, US/ENG, C600/I4K, R2

Under downloads, input devices, the only keyboard driver Dell lists is
for an external USB keyboard.

The owners manual says nothing about the keyboard during the Windows
2000 install, and Windows 2000 wants to install the 102 key keyboard
for my 87 key keyboard.

With the default 102 key keyboard driver, the numlock does nothing
useful. There is also a battery icon on F3, and much more that does
nothing.

The XP upgrade instruction say to go to your drivers disk. My Windows
2000 directory on the drivers disk has 3COM_LAN, ACESSSD (the sleeping
E key), AUDIO, CMD_IDE (IDE driver), MINIPCI, SPEEDSTP (Intel SpeedStep
power management), Synaptics TOUCHPAD, and VIDEO (ATI graphics). The
keyboard is conspicuously absent.
3 answers Last reply
More about driver inspiron 4000 windows 2000 keyboard

    klugja@hotmail.com wrote in news:1109493337.085785.104440
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > The owners manual says nothing about the keyboard during the Windows
    > 2000 install, and Windows 2000 wants to install the 102 key keyboard
    > for my 87 key keyboard.
    >
    > With the default 102 key keyboard driver, the numlock does nothing
    > useful. There is also a battery icon on F3, and much more that does
    > nothing.

    I've never had to install any special kb driver.

    I'm currently using XP Pro on a CPx and a C640, which is the same
    kayboard that you mention. XP calls it "Standard 101/102 Key", but it
    does everything it's supposed to: Numlock turns the 789-UIO-JKL keys
    into a numeric keypad; Fn+(Arrow Keys) adjusts the contrast and
    brightness; Fn+End mutes/unmutes the speaker; Fn+Page up/Page Down
    adjusts the volume; Fn+Esc suspends; Fn+F8 switches between LCD and
    external monitor; etc.,

    Fn+F3 (with the battery icon) doesn't appear to do anything, but I'm not
    sure what it's SUPPOSED to do.

    - FM -

    no keyboard driver is needed for the inspiron 4000 under windows me or 2000.
    there is a utility available for download that enables the dell 'e' button
    that appears above the keyboard. the keys that you mention that are not
    working function in tandem with the blue 'fn' key.

    Fred Mau wrote:

    > does everything it's supposed to: Numlock turns the 789-UIO-JKL keys
    It appears that my numlock will work if I first set the Numlock, then
    hold the FN button down. If I lift up on the FN button, the keys go
    back to normal. The Dell documentation states the opposite. FN-F7
    (font) is a mystery, as is the battery icon (FN-F3). FN-F5 seems like
    it should be reverse video, which does nothing to the LCD.

Dell Windows 2000 Keyboards Computers