avi from webpage plays sound no video

May 10, 2005 8:22:52 PM

Hi y'all,

Back again with another one that has me stumped. Okay, when looking at a
webpage with an embedded avi, the avi d/l's, then only sound plays. When I
attempt to view the file in the temp internet files folder, it only plays
sound, and properties (in media player) says audio file. When I copy the
same file to another folder (somewhere outside temp int folder) and play the
file, it plays the audio and video like it should (and properties in media
player says audio video).

What gives? I've checked in the browser settings and its set to play videos
on webpages, and I've tried checking play by extension (as opposed to
content) as well. The media player is only 9 (yes, I'll upgrade), but I
know that's not the problem because I've looked at the same site with a
different computer (but not xp) and it works fine. Any help?

Thanks.

Robert

More about : avi webpage plays sound video

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 11:48:44 PM

Upgraded to media player 10 and still doesn't work.

"Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi y'all,
>
> Back again with another one that has me stumped. Okay, when looking at a
> webpage with an embedded avi, the avi d/l's, then only sound plays. When
> attempt to view the file in the temp internet files folder, it only plays
> sound, and properties (in media player) says audio file. When I copy the
> same file to another folder (somewhere outside temp int folder) and play
> the
> file, it plays the audio and video like it should (and properties in media
> player says audio video).
>
> What gives? I've checked in the browser settings and its set to play
> videos
> on webpages, and I've tried checking play by extension (as opposed to
> content) as well. The media player is only 9 (yes, I'll upgrade), but I
> know that's not the problem because I've looked at the same site with a
> different computer (but not xp) and it works fine. Any help?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Robert

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 11:48:45 PM

You probably need the DivX codec...

www.divx.com

Bobby

"Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo_dot_calm> wrote in message
> Upgraded to media player 10 and still doesn't work.
>

> "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi y'all,
>>
>> Back again with another one that has me stumped. Okay, when looking at a
>> webpage with an embedded avi, the avi d/l's, then only sound plays. When
>> attempt to view the file in the temp internet files folder, it only plays
>> sound, and properties (in media player) says audio file. When I copy the
>> same file to another folder (somewhere outside temp int folder) and play
>> the
>> file, it plays the audio and video like it should (and properties in
>> media
>> player says audio video).
>>
>> What gives? I've checked in the browser settings and its set to play
>> videos
>> on webpages, and I've tried checking play by extension (as opposed to
>> content) as well. The media player is only 9 (yes, I'll upgrade), but I
>> know that's not the problem because I've looked at the same site with a
>> different computer (but not xp) and it works fine. Any help?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Robert

May 11, 2005 1:28:29 AM

Shouldn't need DivX codec, or any codec for that matter, as the avi file
will play as long as it is moved out of the temporary internet file. Thanks
for answering, though.=) Anybody else have an idea?

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> You probably need the DivX codec...
>
> www.divx.com
>
> Bobby
>
> "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo_dot_calm> wrote in message
>> Upgraded to media player 10 and still doesn't work.
>>

>> "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi y'all,
>>>
>>> Back again with another one that has me stumped. Okay, when looking at
>>> webpage with an embedded avi, the avi d/l's, then only sound plays.
>>> When I
>>> attempt to view the file in the temp internet files folder, it only
>>> plays
>>> sound, and properties (in media player) says audio file. When I copy
>>> the
>>> same file to another folder (somewhere outside temp int folder) and play
>>> the
>>> file, it plays the audio and video like it should (and properties in
>>> media
>>> player says audio video).
>>>
>>> What gives? I've checked in the browser settings and its set to play
>>> videos
>>> on webpages, and I've tried checking play by extension (as opposed to
>>> content) as well. The media player is only 9 (yes, I'll upgrade), but I
>>> know that's not the problem because I've looked at the same site with a
>>> different computer (but not xp) and it works fine. Any help?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Robert

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 7:44:09 PM

I have now verified this is related to winXP. I've tried several computers
and the XP computers have the same issue, yet win2K comps are ok. Again, I
do not think this is a codec (unless the codec cannot be called by the
browser?) issue as the file plays when moved outside the temporary internet
folder.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

Robert

> Shouldn't need DivX codec, or any codec for that matter, as the avi file
> will play as long as it is moved out of the temporary internet file.
Thanks
> for answering, though.=) Anybody else have an idea?
>

> "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> > You probably need the DivX codec...
> >
> > www.divx.com
> >
> > Bobby
> >
> > "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo_dot_calm> wrote in message
> >> Upgraded to media player 10 and still doesn't work.
> >>

> >> "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
December 28, 2008 1:47:44 PM

Divex download worked for me! Thanks great thread! :bounce:  awesome, thanks..... :pt1cable:
!