avi from webpage plays sound no video

Hi y'all,

Back again with another one that has me stumped. Okay, when looking at a
webpage with an embedded avi, the avi d/l's, then only sound plays. When I
attempt to view the file in the temp internet files folder, it only plays
sound, and properties (in media player) says audio file. When I copy the
same file to another folder (somewhere outside temp int folder) and play the
file, it plays the audio and video like it should (and properties in media
player says audio video).

What gives? I've checked in the browser settings and its set to play videos
on webpages, and I've tried checking play by extension (as opposed to
content) as well. The media player is only 9 (yes, I'll upgrade), but I
know that's not the problem because I've looked at the same site with a
different computer (but not xp) and it works fine. Any help?

Thanks.

Robert
5 answers Last reply
More about webpage plays sound video

    Upgraded to media player 10 and still doesn't work.

    "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi y'all,
    >
    > Back again with another one that has me stumped. Okay, when looking at a
    > webpage with an embedded avi, the avi d/l's, then only sound plays. When
    > attempt to view the file in the temp internet files folder, it only plays
    > sound, and properties (in media player) says audio file. When I copy the
    > same file to another folder (somewhere outside temp int folder) and play
    > the
    > file, it plays the audio and video like it should (and properties in media
    > player says audio video).
    >
    > What gives? I've checked in the browser settings and its set to play
    > videos
    > on webpages, and I've tried checking play by extension (as opposed to
    > content) as well. The media player is only 9 (yes, I'll upgrade), but I
    > know that's not the problem because I've looked at the same site with a
    > different computer (but not xp) and it works fine. Any help?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Robert

    You probably need the DivX codec...

    www.divx.com

    Bobby

    "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo_dot_calm> wrote in message
    > Upgraded to media player 10 and still doesn't work.
    >

    > "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi y'all,
    >>
    >> Back again with another one that has me stumped. Okay, when looking at a
    >> webpage with an embedded avi, the avi d/l's, then only sound plays. When
    >> attempt to view the file in the temp internet files folder, it only plays
    >> sound, and properties (in media player) says audio file. When I copy the
    >> same file to another folder (somewhere outside temp int folder) and play
    >> the
    >> file, it plays the audio and video like it should (and properties in
    >> media
    >> player says audio video).
    >>
    >> What gives? I've checked in the browser settings and its set to play
    >> videos
    >> on webpages, and I've tried checking play by extension (as opposed to
    >> content) as well. The media player is only 9 (yes, I'll upgrade), but I
    >> know that's not the problem because I've looked at the same site with a
    >> different computer (but not xp) and it works fine. Any help?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Robert

    Shouldn't need DivX codec, or any codec for that matter, as the avi file
    will play as long as it is moved out of the temporary internet file. Thanks
    for answering, though.=) Anybody else have an idea?

    "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
    > You probably need the DivX codec...
    >
    > www.divx.com
    >
    > Bobby
    >
    > "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo_dot_calm> wrote in message
    >> Upgraded to media player 10 and still doesn't work.
    >>

    >> "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi y'all,
    >>>
    >>> Back again with another one that has me stumped. Okay, when looking at
    >>> webpage with an embedded avi, the avi d/l's, then only sound plays.
    >>> When I
    >>> attempt to view the file in the temp internet files folder, it only
    >>> plays
    >>> sound, and properties (in media player) says audio file. When I copy
    >>> the
    >>> same file to another folder (somewhere outside temp int folder) and play
    >>> the
    >>> file, it plays the audio and video like it should (and properties in
    >>> media
    >>> player says audio video).
    >>>
    >>> What gives? I've checked in the browser settings and its set to play
    >>> videos
    >>> on webpages, and I've tried checking play by extension (as opposed to
    >>> content) as well. The media player is only 9 (yes, I'll upgrade), but I
    >>> know that's not the problem because I've looked at the same site with a
    >>> different computer (but not xp) and it works fine. Any help?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Robert

    I have now verified this is related to winXP. I've tried several computers
    and the XP computers have the same issue, yet win2K comps are ok. Again, I
    do not think this is a codec (unless the codec cannot be called by the
    browser?) issue as the file plays when moved outside the temporary internet
    folder.

    Anybody have any ideas?

    Thanks.

    Robert

    > Shouldn't need DivX codec, or any codec for that matter, as the avi file
    > will play as long as it is moved out of the temporary internet file.
    Thanks
    > for answering, though.=) Anybody else have an idea?
    >

    > "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
    > > You probably need the DivX codec...
    > >
    > > www.divx.com
    > >
    > > Bobby
    > >
    > > "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo_dot_calm> wrote in message
    > >> Upgraded to media player 10 and still doesn't work.
    > >>

    > >> "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message

  5. Divex download worked for me! Thanks great thread! :bounce: awesome, thanks..... :pt1cable:

Audio AVI Windows XP