CXP clean install dual boot, restore 98SE

May 10, 2005 3:51:07 PM

I have one disk drive in my WIndows 98SE PC formatted as follows:

C: 7.66GB used / 20.9GB free
D: 1.36GB used / 8.15GB free

I want to perform a clean install (not upgrade) of Windows XP Home, yet
retain my Windows 98SE programs and data. I have a tape backup of the entire
C: and registry created with Microsoft Backup 4.10.1397. After I perform the
clean install, is it possible to restore from my tape backup to the new
Windows 98 partition?
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 4:04:20 AM

Mark, you can do a Dual Boot using the D: Check here for Instructions
http://www.theeldergeek.com/dual_and_multibooting_xp.ht...

"Mark McCauley" <REMOVEsmark@hawkpci.net> wrote in message
>I have one disk drive in my WIndows 98SE PC formatted as follows:
>
> C: 7.66GB used / 20.9GB free
> D: 1.36GB used / 8.15GB free
>
> I want to perform a clean install (not upgrade) of Windows XP Home, yet
> retain my Windows 98SE programs and data. I have a tape backup of the
> entire
> C: and registry created with Microsoft Backup 4.10.1397. After I perform
> the
> clean install, is it possible to restore from my tape backup to the new
> Windows 98 partition?

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 9:03:10 PM

Thanks.

"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Mark, you can do a Dual Boot using the D: Check here for Instructions
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/dual_and_multibooting_xp.ht...
>
> "Mark McCauley" <REMOVEsmark@hawkpci.net> wrote in message
> >I have one disk drive in my WIndows 98SE PC formatted as follows:
> >
> > C: 7.66GB used / 20.9GB free
> > D: 1.36GB used / 8.15GB free
> >
> > I want to perform a clean install (not upgrade) of Windows XP Home, yet
> > retain my Windows 98SE programs and data. I have a tape backup of the
> > entire
> > C: and registry created with Microsoft Backup 4.10.1397. After I perform
> > the
> > clean install, is it possible to restore from my tape backup to the new
> > Windows 98 partition?

May 23, 2005 12:43:29 AM

On Tue, 10 May 2005 11:51:07 -0500, "Mark McCauley"
<REMOVEsmark@hawkpci.net> wrote:

>I have one disk drive in my WIndows 98SE PC formatted as follows:
>
>C: 7.66GB used / 20.9GB free
>D: 1.36GB used / 8.15GB free
>
>I want to perform a clean install (not upgrade) of Windows XP Home, yet
>retain my Windows 98SE programs and data. I have a tape backup of the entire
>C: and registry created with Microsoft Backup 4.10.1397. After I perform the
>clean install, is it possible to restore from my tape backup to the new
>Windows 98 partition?

You don't have to erase Win98 and restore it, although a back up is a
great thing to have if something goes wrong. Of couse the XP will not
have any programs installed, as it would if you did a sucessful
upgrade.

HTH
Gollum

Dual-booting XP with Windows Me or 9x

To create a dual-boot system with Windows XP and Windows Me or 9x,
install the older version of Windows first, and then install Windows
XP. During the installation process, Windows XP creates a file named
Boot.ini in C:\, listing the bootable partitions and which partition
is the default. When the Setup Wizard displays the Setup Options
window, click the Advanced Options button and select the I Want to
Choose the Install Drive Letter and Partition During Setup check box.
This setting causes the Setup Wizard to display a list of your
partitions and enables you to choose the partition in which you want
to display Windows XP. You also have the option of deleting existing
partitions and creating new ones. The next section steps through the
installation process.

Once you have both versions of Windows installed in separate primary
DOS partitions, you can switch back and forth by using the boot menu
that Windows XP displays:

Please select the operating system to start:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Press ENTER to choose.

Seconds until highlighted choice will be started automatically: 30

note On a dual-boot system with Windows Me or 9x, you can't use an
NTFS partition for your data partition, since these versions of
Windows can't read it.
!