CXP clean install dual boot, restore 98SE

I have one disk drive in my WIndows 98SE PC formatted as follows:

C: 7.66GB used / 20.9GB free
D: 1.36GB used / 8.15GB free

I want to perform a clean install (not upgrade) of Windows XP Home, yet
retain my Windows 98SE programs and data. I have a tape backup of the entire
C: and registry created with Microsoft Backup 4.10.1397. After I perform the
clean install, is it possible to restore from my tape backup to the new
Windows 98 partition?
3 answers Last reply
More about clean install dual boot restore 98se

    Mark, you can do a Dual Boot using the D: Check here for Instructions
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/dual_and_multibooting_xp.htm

    "Mark McCauley" <REMOVEsmark@hawkpci.net> wrote in message
    >I have one disk drive in my WIndows 98SE PC formatted as follows:
    >
    > C: 7.66GB used / 20.9GB free
    > D: 1.36GB used / 8.15GB free
    >
    > I want to perform a clean install (not upgrade) of Windows XP Home, yet
    > retain my Windows 98SE programs and data. I have a tape backup of the
    > entire
    > C: and registry created with Microsoft Backup 4.10.1397. After I perform
    > the
    > clean install, is it possible to restore from my tape backup to the new
    > Windows 98 partition?

    Thanks.

    "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Mark, you can do a Dual Boot using the D: Check here for Instructions
    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/dual_and_multibooting_xp.htm
    >
    > "Mark McCauley" <REMOVEsmark@hawkpci.net> wrote in message
    > >I have one disk drive in my WIndows 98SE PC formatted as follows:
    > >
    > > C: 7.66GB used / 20.9GB free
    > > D: 1.36GB used / 8.15GB free
    > >
    > > I want to perform a clean install (not upgrade) of Windows XP Home, yet
    > > retain my Windows 98SE programs and data. I have a tape backup of the
    > > entire
    > > C: and registry created with Microsoft Backup 4.10.1397. After I perform
    > > the
    > > clean install, is it possible to restore from my tape backup to the new
    > > Windows 98 partition?

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 11:51:07 -0500, "Mark McCauley"
    <REMOVEsmark@hawkpci.net> wrote:

    >I have one disk drive in my WIndows 98SE PC formatted as follows:
    >
    >C: 7.66GB used / 20.9GB free
    >D: 1.36GB used / 8.15GB free
    >
    >I want to perform a clean install (not upgrade) of Windows XP Home, yet
    >retain my Windows 98SE programs and data. I have a tape backup of the entire
    >C: and registry created with Microsoft Backup 4.10.1397. After I perform the
    >clean install, is it possible to restore from my tape backup to the new
    >Windows 98 partition?

    You don't have to erase Win98 and restore it, although a back up is a
    great thing to have if something goes wrong. Of couse the XP will not
    have any programs installed, as it would if you did a sucessful
    upgrade.

    HTH
    Gollum

    Dual-booting XP with Windows Me or 9x

    To create a dual-boot system with Windows XP and Windows Me or 9x,
    install the older version of Windows first, and then install Windows
    XP. During the installation process, Windows XP creates a file named
    Boot.ini in C:\, listing the bootable partitions and which partition
    is the default. When the Setup Wizard displays the Setup Options
    window, click the Advanced Options button and select the I Want to
    Choose the Install Drive Letter and Partition During Setup check box.
    This setting causes the Setup Wizard to display a list of your
    partitions and enables you to choose the partition in which you want
    to display Windows XP. You also have the option of deleting existing
    partitions and creating new ones. The next section steps through the
    installation process.

    Once you have both versions of Windows installed in separate primary
    DOS partitions, you can switch back and forth by using the boot menu
    that Windows XP displays:

    Please select the operating system to start:
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Microsoft Windows

    Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

    Press ENTER to choose.

    Seconds until highlighted choice will be started automatically: 30

    note On a dual-boot system with Windows Me or 9x, you can't use an
    NTFS partition for your data partition, since these versions of
    Windows can't read it.

Clean Install Backup Microsoft Windows 98SE Windows XP