XP Pro, Corrupted User Profile Problem

While running a virus scan, my XP Pro/SP2 machine suddenly rebooted, then I
got the corrupt user profile message. But instead of logging me on to a new
account, the logon screen with only my damaged profile came up. Clicking on
it starts a logon process, which almost immediately aborts, and logs off
again (i.e., back to the Welcome screen). Is there any way to get out of this
loop so I can log on and fix the corrupted profile?

Thanks,
D.
1 answer Last reply
More about corrupted user profile problem

    Have you tried logging on with the built in Administrator
    account? You might want to try the following:
    Restart you computer.
    When the Windows Welcome screen appears hit Ctrl + Alt + Del
    twice.
    This should bring up the Logon to Windows dialog box.
    Log on as Administrator.
    You will have to create a new user account and copy your old
    profile (minus the corrupted files) into your new profile.
    Take a look at this article for the procedure:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

    Good luck
    --
    Nepatsfan
    "DYETT" <DYETT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > While running a virus scan, my XP Pro/SP2 machine suddenly
    > rebooted, then I
    > got the corrupt user profile message. But instead of logging me
    > on to a new
    > account, the logon screen with only my damaged profile came up.
    > Clicking on
    > it starts a logon process, which almost immediately aborts, and
    > logs off
    > again (i.e., back to the Welcome screen). Is there any way to
    > get out of this
    > loop so I can log on and fix the corrupted profile?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > D.

Support Microsoft Windows XP