XP Pro, Corrupted User Profile Problem

May 10, 2005 3:08:04 PM

While running a virus scan, my XP Pro/SP2 machine suddenly rebooted, then I
got the corrupt user profile message. But instead of logging me on to a new
account, the logon screen with only my damaged profile came up. Clicking on
it starts a logon process, which almost immediately aborts, and logs off
again (i.e., back to the Welcome screen). Is there any way to get out of this
loop so I can log on and fix the corrupted profile?

Thanks,
D.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 8:04:26 PM

Have you tried logging on with the built in Administrator
account? You might want to try the following:
Restart you computer.
When the Windows Welcome screen appears hit Ctrl + Alt + Del
twice.
This should bring up the Logon to Windows dialog box.
Log on as Administrator.
You will have to create a new user account and copy your old
profile (minus the corrupted files) into your new profile.
Take a look at this article for the procedure:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Good luck
--
Nepatsfan