Error: "There are currently no logon servers available to ..

I have a PC with Win XP Pro at home, and I have a NetGear WGR614 802.11g
wireless router. I also have a laptop that I use at work (running Win2k
Pro) that I bring home once in a while, and I would like to be able to
connect the two so I can transfer files between the two. I got a NetGear
WG511 wireless card for the laptop, and when I put it in the laptop, I get
internet connectivity fine on the latpop. However, when I try to access the
Win XP PC, I get the \\computer is not accessible. There are currently no
logon servers available to service the logon request" error message. A
coworker of mine is able to connect this way without a problem, and he has
the identical setup. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong and how
to fix it so I can connect?

Thanks.

Steve
2 answers Last reply
More about error there logon servers

    However, when I try to access the
    > Win XP PC, I get the \\computer is not accessible. There are currently no
    > logon servers available to service the logon request" error message.

    Try this Micrsoft Knowledge base page:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;139410

    "scram" <scram@anon.com> wrote in message

    > However, when I try to access the
    > > Win XP PC, I get the \\computer is not accessible. There are currently
    no
    > > logon servers available to service the logon request" error message.
    >
    > Try this Micrsoft Knowledge base page:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;139410

    Also saw these suggestions:

    Resolutions:

    1) Check the DNS settings on both servers and clients, and correct any
    errors.

    2) It is better to load on protocol, TCP/IP only.

    3) If you have mixed network, setup WINS server or install NetBIOS over
    TCP/IP on W2K/XP instead of loading NetBEUI.

    4) Also make sure that Domain Controllers register their DOMAIN<1C> NetBIOS
    names with the WINS Server.

    5) The fix is to use hybrid node instead of p-node or m-node.

    6) If the network is configured to use for NetBIOS name resolution but the
    client hasn't been set manually, it could be set through a DHCP release
    option 46.

    7) Apply service pack.

Wireless Networking