Random Crash then restart

seubjoh

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Hey guys,

So I just finished putting together a new system and for some reason after about 5 minutes in windows the entire thing just shuts down. Fans, lights, everything just turns off but then about 5 seconds later it just restarts itself and reboots. For a while this happened because I had stopped the fan on my power supply (oops) and it was overheating. I have a hardware monitor up now though and everything seems to be at the right temperature. So what gives?

Thanks!

Specs:
i7 930 2.8ghz w/ stock cooler
6gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 Ram
Asus P6X58D-E MB
WD 750Gb hd
2x 8800gt sli (until new card comes in)
Antec Skeleton Case
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
1000w power supply

This is sounding like a hardware problem - not a windows 7 issue.

I think you want to first test your memory. MemTest x86 http://www.memtest86.com/ look under Free Downloads.

You can also try testing with just 1 video card and 1 stick of RAM at a time.

seubjoh

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Ultra X3 1000w. I bought it 3 years ago and its worked great. I had taken it apart to dust it because it had a huge collection of dust bunnies. I guess I hit it with the air compressor too hard. I'm going to go get a new one from Fry's tomorrow to see if that fixes it, any suggestions of what to get?

Thanks

seubjoh

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
I bought a corsair 1000w which will come in tomorrow. I installed the 480gtx when I got it just to test the computer, which would boot windows but couldnt display it on the screen ( i could hear it loading on the speakers) which makes me further believe its a power supply problem. Hopefully after install itll fix everything, ill let you guys know. Thanks for the help!