Random Crash then restart

Hey guys,

So I just finished putting together a new system and for some reason after about 5 minutes in windows the entire thing just shuts down. Fans, lights, everything just turns off but then about 5 seconds later it just restarts itself and reboots. For a while this happened because I had stopped the fan on my power supply (oops) and it was overheating. I have a hardware monitor up now though and everything seems to be at the right temperature. So what gives?

Thanks!

Specs:
i7 930 2.8ghz w/ stock cooler
6gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 Ram
Asus P6X58D-E MB
WD 750Gb hd
2x 8800gt sli (until new card comes in)
Antec Skeleton Case
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
1000w power supply
5 answers Last reply
More about random crash restart
  1. This is sounding like a hardware problem - not a windows 7 issue.

I think you want to first test your memory. MemTest x86 http://www.memtest86.com/ look under Free Downloads.

You can also try testing with just 1 video card and 1 stick of RAM at a time.
  2. Sounds like a psu problem. what brand are you using? and how could you stop the fan on the psu in the first place?
  3. Ultra X3 1000w. I bought it 3 years ago and its worked great. I had taken it apart to dust it because it had a huge collection of dust bunnies. I guess I hit it with the air compressor too hard. I'm going to go get a new one from Fry's tomorrow to see if that fixes it, any suggestions of what to get?

Thanks
  4. Antec EarthWatts 650W or Corsair 650TX 650W for up to 2x HD 5770s or 2x HD 5850s
    or Corsair CMPSU-750TX for 2x HD 5870s.
    Corsair 850TX for 2x GTX 465s or 2x GTX 470s
  5. I bought a corsair 1000w which will come in tomorrow. I installed the 480gtx when I got it just to test the computer, which would boot windows but couldnt display it on the screen ( i could hear it loading on the speakers) which makes me further believe its a power supply problem. Hopefully after install itll fix everything, ill let you guys know. Thanks for the help!
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7