Strange issues with Radeon9800 Pro

dark_dregg

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
I got a problem and im kinda pissed about it.
I just bought a new kick ass system wich is: AMD Athlon64 3400+, 2x512 TwinMos PC3200, 2x 80Gb SATA Western Digital HDD's, a SB Live! Digital 5.1 & a ATI Radeon 9800Pro. I also got a chassi with a 400W PSU.

Now to the issue:

When i play any game, suddenly i get really strange graphical glitches..
And we're not talking about just texture errors, but serious graphics errors wich results in that i need to reset my comp to get it back to normal. When i assembled the comp i got strange "Extra power connector not inserted" errors for the Radeon, but i fixed this by changeing power cords.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Are pluggin in a power splitter to that AGP card? If so then have a straight 4-pin connector directly from the PSU to that AGP card. Also try to take a dedicated string, PSU normally have 3-4 of them, to plug it only to the AGP card. Or it can simply be a weak PSU issue and you need to get a well branded one like Antec or Enermax. I got a similar config andhaving to use a 550 wat PSU.

Also you could flash the CMOS on the MOBO. Another thing is to try to unplug some peripherals/fans to see if it stops. Could also take that AGP card to a buddy that uses a similar config and see if the issue replicates. If so RMA it.

Mobile Barton 2500+ @ 2420mhz 11x220 1.7v
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro to XT(463/795)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your power supply may lack the quality required to output its rating reliably. In fact, it might not even output 1/2 it's rating reliably.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>