Windows XP shuts down USB ports while booting.. Possible t..

May 11, 2005 2:21:22 AM

Hello all.

I am posting this in the hope that SOMEONE out there can help me.

I recently received a computer from a client who couldn't start up their
PC, and I did a registry recovery after getting the stop: C0000218
{registry failed to load} (or close-to) error message on boot-up which
indicated a faulty registry in some way.

After putting the new (or rather old) registry in place, it booted into
windows just fine! The only problem was that the USB ports weren't working.
My powers of deduction kicked in when the USB keyboard/mouse wouldn't work!
The only problem is the PC has NO PS/2 ports, and only USB, so I need
USB to work!

If I get into the recovery console I can type just fine, and the light
on the front of this wireless keyboard flashes when I type.. But if I
let Windows boot-up, as soon as the loading screen comes up the flashing
stops, and USB seems to go down.

Is there someway I can get a device manager to work in the recovery console?
How about installing various hardware or kicking off a hardware-driver scan?
Is there someway I can get to a command prompt instead as it's much more
powerful! - The only problem is it can't be in safe mode as that's just
windows in safe mode - which also shuts down the USB drivers/whatever.

I'm trying to paddle upstream, in the rain, with my paddle being turned
off every time I boot into windows - and with no USB support I can't
type or use a mouse.

Thank you for any help you can give!

--
Tr0n²
May 11, 2005 3:56:09 AM

Did you follow this procedure when do a Registry Repair.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm

"Tr0n²" <old486whizz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 5r8kg$3rv$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Hello all.
>
> I am posting this in the hope that SOMEONE out there can help me.
>
> I recently received a computer from a client who couldn't start up their
> PC, and I did a registry recovery after getting the stop: C0000218
> {registry failed to load} (or close-to) error message on boot-up which
> indicated a faulty registry in some way.
>
> After putting the new (or rather old) registry in place, it booted into
> windows just fine! The only problem was that the USB ports weren't
> working.
> My powers of deduction kicked in when the USB keyboard/mouse wouldn't
> work!
> The only problem is the PC has NO PS/2 ports, and only USB, so I need USB
> to work!
>
> If I get into the recovery console I can type just fine, and the light on
> the front of this wireless keyboard flashes when I type.. But if I let
> Windows boot-up, as soon as the loading screen comes up the flashing
> stops, and USB seems to go down.
>
> Is there someway I can get a device manager to work in the recovery
> console?
> How about installing various hardware or kicking off a hardware-driver
> scan?
> Is there someway I can get to a command prompt instead as it's much more
> powerful! - The only problem is it can't be in safe mode as that's just
> windows in safe mode - which also shuts down the USB drivers/whatever.
>
> I'm trying to paddle upstream, in the rain, with my paddle being turned
> off every time I boot into windows - and with no USB support I can't type
> or use a mouse.
>
> Thank you for any help you can give!
>
> --
> Tr0n²
May 11, 2005 11:34:04 PM

Rich Barry wrote:
> Did you follow this procedure when do a Registry Repair.
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm

To be honest, this article didn't help.
It merely gave me a reason to restore the original registry files again.

I deleted the files I copied from c:\windows\recovery (all 5 of them)
and copied the originals back. Restarted expecting to have the BSOD
appear - but it actually started up and went through a hardware
recognition of the USB keyboard&mouse.

It also complained about the registry in a message box, and saying it
had recovered from a previous version.

I ran a few hardware tests using Microscope 2000 and couldn't find
anything wrong, so I'm baffled at why the registry was corrupt in the
first place, but even more by the fact moving the registry about seemed
to fix it!

Many thanks for the link that sparked me off though!
The customer was very pleased :)  .

--
Tr0n²