NTLDR is Missing

I receive the following error when booting up my Windows XP Home PC:

NTLDR is Missing

I then booted from the Windows XP CD and entered the Recovery Console.
Then I tried to copy the NTLDR file using the following command:
Copy D:\i386\NTLDR C:

I receive the following error:
The file could not be copied.

When I try to access the hard drive by typing DIR at the C prompt, I receive
the following:

Directory of C:\

An error occurred during directory enumeration.

I cannot access the hard drive.

What can I do to restart this computer?

Thank you,
2 answers Last reply
More about ntldr missing

    >I receive the following error when booting up my Windows XP Home PC:
    >
    > NTLDR is Missing
    >
    > I then booted from the Windows XP CD and entered the Recovery Console.
    > Then I tried to copy the NTLDR file using the following command:
    > Copy D:\i386\NTLDR C:
    >
    > I receive the following error:
    > The file could not be copied.
    >
    > When I try to access the hard drive by typing DIR at the C prompt, I
    > receive
    > the following:
    >
    > Directory of C:\
    >
    > An error occurred during directory enumeration.
    >
    > I cannot access the hard drive.
    >
    > What can I do to restart this computer?

    Run CHKDSK /R. If that doesn't help, and if it is not the case that you
    left a floppy in the diskette drive, you might have to do a Repair (boot
    using the Windows install CD and select the *2nd* repair option to do an
    in-place upgrade; the first Repair option puts you into Recovery Console
    mode). If you have applied SP-2 and your CD is SP-1, you'll need to
    create a slipstreamed Windows install CD that includes SP-2 (i.e., you
    don't want to use an SP-1 install CD in trying to repair an SP-2
    installation).

    ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
    For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.

    Thank you Vanguard. This worked great!!
    --
    Steve

    "Vanguard" wrote:

    > "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I receive the following error when booting up my Windows XP Home PC:
    > >
    > > NTLDR is Missing
    > >
    > > I then booted from the Windows XP CD and entered the Recovery Console.
    > > Then I tried to copy the NTLDR file using the following command:
    > > Copy D:\i386\NTLDR C:
    > >
    > > I receive the following error:
    > > The file could not be copied.
    > >
    > > When I try to access the hard drive by typing DIR at the C prompt, I
    > > receive
    > > the following:
    > >
    > > Directory of C:\
    > >
    > > An error occurred during directory enumeration.
    > >
    > > I cannot access the hard drive.
    > >
    > > What can I do to restart this computer?
    >

    > Run CHKDSK /R. If that doesn't help, and if it is not the case that you
    > left a floppy in the diskette drive, you might have to do a Repair (boot
    > using the Windows install CD and select the *2nd* repair option to do an
    > in-place upgrade; the first Repair option puts you into Recovery Console
    > mode). If you have applied SP-2 and your CD is SP-1, you'll need to
    > create a slipstreamed Windows install CD that includes SP-2 (i.e., you
    > don't want to use an SP-1 install CD in trying to repair an SP-2
    > installation).

    > ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
    > For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.

Windows XP Ntldr Hard Drives