Jr Pacman Hi Score Save - Could someone take this on?

I came across Jr. Pacman and am wondering if anyone has a hi score save
kit for this. I'd love to save scores on this game as it's soooo
difficult. Thanks in advance.

John

D Widel wrote:
> "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >

> > I came across Jr. Pacman and am wondering if anyone has a hi score
save
> > kit for this. I'd love to save scores on this game as it's soooo
> > difficult. Thanks in advance.
> >
> > John
>

> I could do it pretty easily. The top 10 code from the 96 in 1 should
run
> almost as is and I have a board that will work already. I'm sure I
could
> get regular pacman running w/o any real problems as a bonus, but is
there
> any demand?

You'd probably have to add another digit to the high score, so it won't
turn over at 1,000,000.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

"Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I came across Jr. Pacman and am wondering if anyone has a hi score save
> kit for this. I'd love to save scores on this game as it's soooo
> difficult. Thanks in advance.
>
> John

I could do it pretty easily. The top 10 code from the 96 in 1 should run
almost as is and I have a board that will work already. I'm sure I could
get regular pacman running w/o any real problems as a bonus, but is there
any demand?

Dave

---

Put me down for one Dave. Would you be able to get Pac & Ms Pac on
there??

Robert

If you get pac / ms pac on there, life would be fantastic!

John

The thing I really like about this idea is the simplicity. Dave's
96-in-1 is great, but if you just want to keep it simple w/ the
originals, this is a cool way to go. Hope Dave can make it happen.

Robert

D Widel wrote:
> So, I need feedback on options 1,2 or 3. Do you prefer any, or hate
any?

> Thanks,
> Dave
>

> ---

Dave,
I opt for option number one with just the traditional hi score save for
the jr. pac. If I ever need to play it, at least the scores are saved.
That's all I would love to have.

John

Based on the info you have given us, I would opt for #1 as well. No
need for slow/fast selection as I can't stand playing any pac man game
slow speed. On a side note Dave: do you think Jr Pac will ever be
able to run in a multi pac kit w/o any graphics issues?

Thanks for all your work,
Robert

I vote for option #2. If I can run Pac, MsPac and Jr. Pac on a single
board, that's all I need. I really don't need 96 variations of
different graphics.

Thanks for your work!!
Han

D Widel wrote:
> "Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in
message

> > "D Widel" <pacman@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
> > > So, I need feedback on options 1,2 or 3. Do you prefer any, or
hate
> any?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Dave
> >
> > I have a 96-in-1 kit that I have not installed yet, but would much
rather
> > have a board with a kit to play Jr. Pac, reg. Pac and Ms. Pac. The
> question
> > is, will they be identical to the originals, or would there be
"issues?"
> > Also, I take it that I would have to run this off of a Jr. Pac
board. Is
> > that correct? How common are those? How easy are they to hack
into a
> reg.
> > Pac or Ms. Pac cabinet?
>

> There would definitely be issues. Mostly I think just minor like
text being
> printed in the wrong color. Each game would have to be individually
ported
> so there wouldn't be many games running on it.
>
> Dave
>

> ---

Dave,
I'd say just do the hi score save kit for Jr. Pacman. I think this
would be awsome and most people would be happy with it. Just my
opinion.

John

Would it be possible to emulate Super Pac on a Jr. Pac pcb closer than
it already is on the 96-in-1?

Baraka wrote:
> D Widel wrote:
> > "Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in
> message
> > >
> > > "D Widel" <pacman@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
> hate
> > any?

> > > I have a 96-in-1 kit that I have not installed yet, but would
much
> rather
> > > have a board with a kit to play Jr. Pac, reg. Pac and Ms. Pac.
The
> > question
> > > is, will they be identical to the originals, or would there be
> "issues?"
> > > Also, I take it that I would have to run this off of a Jr. Pac
> board. Is
> > > that correct? How common are those? How easy are they to hack
> into a
> > reg.
> > > Pac or Ms. Pac cabinet?
> >

> > There would definitely be issues. Mostly I think just minor like
> text being
> > printed in the wrong color. Each game would have to be
individually
> ported
> > so there wouldn't be many games running on it.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> > ---
>
> Dave,
> I'd say just do the hi score save kit for Jr. Pacman. I think this
> would be awsome and most people would be happy with it. Just my
> opinion.
>
> John

I'd also be interested in the kit.

Jess

Widel" <pacman@mailblocks.com> wrote in news:HBzge.74984$c24.56220
@attbi_s72:

<rcecil@chartercom.com> wrote in message
> Put me down for one Dave. Would you be able to get Pac & Ms Pac on
> there??

I looked into it a long time ago. Iirc the only problems w/ adding the
earlier games was some text colors aren't physically possible. I.e. the
"ready" would be the wrong color. Stuff like the tunnel slow downs will
have to be rewritten which is a little more awkward on ms pac since there's
more screens but not impossible.

There are 3 ways to do this.

1. I use the universal HS board. That would allow a top 10 list only,
maybe a fast/slow option. Probably something like the Make Trax kit where
you hold both buttons and up to go fast or down for slow. ~$35

2. I use a board that can bank program roms like the original pacman HSS I
did. It does everything 1 does plus I can hack a couple of other games to
run, pacman etc. They would use the Jr graphics chips so the text would be
the jr 3d and the characters would be Jr. I'd probably have to cut the
intermissions, and the attract mode would look terrible, but it should play
and sound like the original. ~$65

3. I use 2. and add graphics banking, It basically turns into a multipac.
Pac, and Ms pac could probably be played with occasional color issues, and
possibly there might be some slight differences in the ghost AI, depending
on if I can get the "slides" coded right. And now that I think about it
Alien armada would run with very minor changes. ~$130

Options 2 & 3 would require more than just a couple of people interested
obviously, but 1 is not a lot of work as I can reuse the code from the
pacman kit.

Dave

---

> Based on the info you have given us, I would opt for #1 as well. No
> need for slow/fast selection as I can't stand playing any pac man game
> slow speed. On a side note Dave: do you think Jr Pac will ever be
> able to run in a multi pac kit w/o any graphics issues?

Sure it's possible, but I'm sure it won't happen. There's not a whole lot
of customers for this sort of thing to begin with and then you subtract the
ones that have bought emulation boards and there's not much left. I think
the only chance for something like that, that doesn't involve mame is for
FPGArcade.

Dave
..

---

"D Widel" <pacman@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
> So, I need feedback on options 1,2 or 3. Do you prefer any, or hate any?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

I have a 96-in-1 kit that I have not installed yet, but would much rather
have a board with a kit to play Jr. Pac, reg. Pac and Ms. Pac. The question
is, will they be identical to the originals, or would there be "issues?"
Also, I take it that I would have to run this off of a Jr. Pac board. Is
that correct? How common are those? How easy are they to hack into a reg.
Pac or Ms. Pac cabinet?

Thanks, Dane.

<pcasey@bfusa.com> wrote in message
> Would it be possible to emulate Super Pac on a Jr. Pac pcb closer than
> it already is on the 96-in-1?

No, it would be much worse because of the lack of color resolution. None of
the advantages of the Jr board would help.

---

Option #1 would be perfect.

Jess

Widel" <pacman@mailblocks.com> wrote in news:dnKge.75928$WI3.23057
@attbi_s71:

> <rcecil@chartercom.com> wrote in message
>> Put me down for one Dave. Would you be able to get Pac & Ms Pac on
>> there??
>

> I looked into it a long time ago. Iirc the only problems w/ adding
the
> earlier games was some text colors aren't physically possible. I.e.
the
> "ready" would be the wrong color. Stuff like the tunnel slow downs
will
> have to be rewritten which is a little more awkward on ms pac since
there's
> more screens but not impossible.
>
> There are 3 ways to do this.
>
> 1. I use the universal HS board. That would allow a top 10 list
only,
> maybe a fast/slow option. Probably something like the Make Trax kit
where
> you hold both buttons and up to go fast or down for slow. ~$35
>
> 2. I use a board that can bank program roms like the original pacman
HSS I
> did. It does everything 1 does plus I can hack a couple of other
games to
> run, pacman etc. They would use the Jr graphics chips so the text
would be
> the jr 3d and the characters would be Jr. I'd probably have to cut
the
> intermissions, and the attract mode would look terrible, but it
should play
> and sound like the original. ~$65
>
> 3. I use 2. and add graphics banking, It basically turns into a
multipac.
> Pac, and Ms pac could probably be played with occasional color
issues, and
> possibly there might be some slight differences in the ghost AI,
depending
> on if I can get the "slides" coded right. And now that I think
about it
> Alien armada would run with very minor changes. ~$130
>
> Options 2 & 3 would require more than just a couple of people
interested
> obviously, but 1 is not a lot of work as I can reuse the code from
the
> pacman kit.
>

> Dave
>

> ---

I would take one.

I prefer Option #1

thanks

David Haynes
dlh@bombjack.org

www.bombjack.org

On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:43:44 GMT, Jesso <jesso@verizonnospam.net> wrote:

>Option #1 would be perfect.
>
>Jess
>

> Widel" <pacman@mailblocks.com> wrote in news:dnKge.75928$WI3.23057
>@attbi_s71:
>

>> <rcecil@chartercom.com> wrote in message
>>> Put me down for one Dave. Would you be able to get Pac & Ms Pac on
>>> there??
>>

>> I looked into it a long time ago. Iirc the only problems w/ adding
>the
>> earlier games was some text colors aren't physically possible. I.e.
>the
>> "ready" would be the wrong color. Stuff like the tunnel slow downs
>will
>> have to be rewritten which is a little more awkward on ms pac since
>there's
>> more screens but not impossible.
>>
>> There are 3 ways to do this.
>>
>> 1. I use the universal HS board. That would allow a top 10 list
>only,
>> maybe a fast/slow option. Probably something like the Make Trax kit
>where
>> you hold both buttons and up to go fast or down for slow. ~$35
>>
>> 2. I use a board that can bank program roms like the original pacman
>HSS I
>> did. It does everything 1 does plus I can hack a couple of other
>games to
>> run, pacman etc. They would use the Jr graphics chips so the text
>would be
>> the jr 3d and the characters would be Jr. I'd probably have to cut
>the
>> intermissions, and the attract mode would look terrible, but it
>should play
>> and sound like the original. ~$65
>>
>> 3. I use 2. and add graphics banking, It basically turns into a
>multipac.
>> Pac, and Ms pac could probably be played with occasional color
>issues, and
>> possibly there might be some slight differences in the ghost AI,
>depending
>> on if I can get the "slides" coded right. And now that I think
>about it
>> Alien armada would run with very minor changes. ~$130
>>
>> Options 2 & 3 would require more than just a couple of people
>interested
>> obviously, but 1 is not a lot of work as I can reuse the code from
>the
>> pacman kit.
>>

>> Dave
>>

>> ---

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

super pac is a 6502 game, jr, pac and ms pac are z80;s

<pcasey@bfusa.com> wrote in message
> Would it be possible to emulate Super Pac on a Jr. Pac pcb closer than
> it already is on the 96-in-1?
>
> Baraka wrote:
> > D Widel wrote:
> > > "Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in
> > message

> > hate
> > > any?

> much
> > rather
> The
> > > question
> > "issues?"
> > board. Is
> > into a
> > > reg.
> > >

> > > There would definitely be issues. Mostly I think just minor like
> > text being
> > > printed in the wrong color. Each game would have to be
> individually
> > ported
> > > so there wouldn't be many games running on it.
> > >
> > > Dave
> > >

> > > ---
> >
> > Dave,
> > I'd say just do the hi score save kit for Jr. Pacman. I think this
> > would be awsome and most people would be happy with it. Just my
> > opinion.
> >
> > John

"VaxX" <geoff_gunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
..au...
> super pac is a 6502 game, jr, pac and ms pac are z80;s

I don't let little details like cpu type slow me down ;) The screensize is a
bigger problem. And it's 6809, not 6502.

Dave

---

"D Widel" <pacman@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
> So, I need feedback on options 1,2 or 3. Do you prefer any, or hate any?

OK, I'm not going to even count, between the emails and posts it's
overwhelmingly option 1. I just cut the code out of the old pacman hi
score kit I did years ago and tried it out in mame with good results. It
still needs a lot of little things like a way to clear the nvram, though.
It will work exactly like the top ten list from the 96in1. The differences
so far is I had to cut the sound effects, and the colors. As of right now
the text is all yellow. I may work on that though. Something interesting
though, I see no reason this won't work on the entire family of Pac games.
Pacman, and bootlegs of Ms Pac and Pac Plus, probably even Piranha.

Dave

---

Will it work in Pacland? (I don't have one yet, but that is on my list...)

Dane.

> Will it work in Pacland? (I don't have one yet, but that is on my
list...)

No, that's a newer hardware platform.

---