I currently have an issue on a couple of XP Pro workstations. Whenever I
make any changes to the network situation on the machines the SVCHOST
process goes into a 100% loop. I have searched the web for a solution to
this but have found nothing that is any help. Everyone seems to blame
spyware or a virus for the problem but I am almost certain that it isn't.

I continually use VPN's throughout the day and whenever I connect or
disconnect one I have to wait about 5 minutes until the PC is useable which
is becoming increasingly frustrating. All machines are XP SP2 and have all
the updates installed.

I have tried everything I can think of and am now in need of assistance so
if anyone can help I would be forever grateful.

Simon Whittington

Try to define what is running.

Description of Svchost.exe: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q250/3/20.ASP Default Processes in Windows 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q263/2/01.ASP

For a list of running tasks, open a command prompt, and type:
netstat -ano
then:
tasklist /svc
(compare the PID of the tasks)

task manager and services.msc can show you what services might be involved.

--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509