Damned Monitor Shippers

I must have the worst luck when it comes to monitors, because for the
life of me I can't get one from someone who knows how to pack before
shipping.

First there was that moron(Steve Popson), from Raleigh, NC, who sent me
two F-ed up G-08 monitors. He lied about their condition, poorly packed
them, resulting in one's neck getting smashed, jerked me around, and
ultimately stopped answering e-mails. This cost me $300 so far($200 for
monitors + $60 shipping + one $40 yoke from Elektronforge). And I
haven't even gotten any replacement tubes for them yet.(I'll give those
away).

Then Brick Larson(Ebay I.D: dishconnection99) from La Crosse, Wisconsin
who jerked me around for the longest after he jacked up the shipping
price(to $80) for what was supposed to be a Wells Gardner monitor that
I won from him on Ebay, and then finally shipped a poorly packed
Electrohome monitor that has major Tapper burn-in instead.

Now I have another monitor shipped to me by a Stacey Molinelli(Ebay
I.D: partitall), from Winter Park, Florida, who like the above two
sellers conveyed that she knew how to pack and ship a monitor when I
asked. When it arrived, the thin piece of styrofoam that was supposed
to be the "packing material" had a hole in it right where the neck
poked through.(Luckily I asked her to remove the neck board). The pins
are bent, and the white piece that goes over them is broken, so I don't
know if this is salvageable.

The only other monitor I've had shipped to me is a another G-08 that is
still in the box, which is completely filled with peanuts. So I have to
get around to digging deep enough into the box to check it out.

Anyway, I was just wondering. Are my experiences normal, or am I just
extremely unlucky.

And does anyone with a Star Wars monitor(and knows how to pack one)
feel like selling it?(I have some project monitors for trade). :-)

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
56 answers Last reply
More about damned monitor shippers

    People don't know how to pack even when you explicitly tell them how to. I
    sold on eBay for years and spent tons of time correctly packing things and
    never had anything arrived damaged in away, including monitors (but never
    shipped bare arcade monitors). However, a large amount of what I have bought
    from that scam site has ended up being packed so poorly that even with
    insurance, the carrier has always refused to pay anything for the damage. I
    have noticed it continues to get worse while handling costs continue to
    rise. It's all about scamming people, that's all eBay (and PayPal) is good
    for anymore.

    <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    >I must have the worst luck when it comes to monitors, because for the
    > life of me I can't get one from someone who knows how to pack before
    > shipping.
    >
    > First there was that moron(Steve Popson), from Raleigh, NC, who sent me
    > two F-ed up G-08 monitors. He lied about their condition, poorly packed
    > them, resulting in one's neck getting smashed, jerked me around, and
    > ultimately stopped answering e-mails. This cost me $300 so far($200 for
    > monitors + $60 shipping + one $40 yoke from Elektronforge). And I
    > haven't even gotten any replacement tubes for them yet.(I'll give those
    > away).
    >
    > Then Brick Larson(Ebay I.D: dishconnection99) from La Crosse, Wisconsin
    > who jerked me around for the longest after he jacked up the shipping
    > price(to $80) for what was supposed to be a Wells Gardner monitor that
    > I won from him on Ebay, and then finally shipped a poorly packed
    > Electrohome monitor that has major Tapper burn-in instead.
    >
    > Now I have another monitor shipped to me by a Stacey Molinelli(Ebay
    > I.D: partitall), from Winter Park, Florida, who like the above two
    > sellers conveyed that she knew how to pack and ship a monitor when I
    > asked. When it arrived, the thin piece of styrofoam that was supposed
    > to be the "packing material" had a hole in it right where the neck
    > poked through.(Luckily I asked her to remove the neck board). The pins
    > are bent, and the white piece that goes over them is broken, so I don't
    > know if this is salvageable.
    >
    > The only other monitor I've had shipped to me is a another G-08 that is
    > still in the box, which is completely filled with peanuts. So I have to
    > get around to digging deep enough into the box to check it out.
    >
    > Anyway, I was just wondering. Are my experiences normal, or am I just
    > extremely unlucky.
    >
    > And does anyone with a Star Wars monitor(and knows how to pack one)
    > feel like selling it?(I have some project monitors for trade). :-)
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

    Well, I can tell you one thing.. Christopher Ketcham (ebay ID:
    stratocruiser377) knows how to pack a monitor. I got an old Motorola
    23" B/W monitor from him and it survived the long trip from AZ to MI.
    He used a big box from U-haul, put the monitor in face-down (that might
    be the key to this), and packed it with what looks like crumpled
    plastic bags. Kind of like what you would use for a small wastepaper
    basket. Ok so its kind of an unorthodox method, but the monitor made
    it here in great shape.

    And to top it off the guy only charged $25 for shipping, and sent it
    next day air! Unbelievable. Gotta give this guy his props.

    Honestly for what I paid for the monitor and shipping, I expected to
    get a beaten up box full of broken glass. I was thinking I might be
    able to use the chassis but throw the rest away. Boy was I wrong!

    And does anyone with a Star Wars monitor(and knows how to pack one)

    I expect that we are going to have brand new Color XY monitors ready in
    3 weeks. Proto should arrive to me next week or week after and we'll
    whip up the production models soon to follow. Price not set yet, but
    will have to be pricey.

    Dave

    I have some WG6100's for $350+ shipping. I'd recommend insuring it.....

    <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    >I must have the worst luck when it comes to monitors, because for the
    > life of me I can't get one from someone who knows how to pack before
    > shipping.
    >
    > First there was that moron(Steve Popson), from Raleigh, NC, who sent me
    > two F-ed up G-08 monitors. He lied about their condition, poorly packed
    > them, resulting in one's neck getting smashed, jerked me around, and
    > ultimately stopped answering e-mails. This cost me $300 so far($200 for
    > monitors + $60 shipping + one $40 yoke from Elektronforge). And I
    > haven't even gotten any replacement tubes for them yet.(I'll give those
    > away).
    >
    > Then Brick Larson(Ebay I.D: dishconnection99) from La Crosse, Wisconsin
    > who jerked me around for the longest after he jacked up the shipping
    > price(to $80) for what was supposed to be a Wells Gardner monitor that
    > I won from him on Ebay, and then finally shipped a poorly packed
    > Electrohome monitor that has major Tapper burn-in instead.
    >
    > Now I have another monitor shipped to me by a Stacey Molinelli(Ebay
    > I.D: partitall), from Winter Park, Florida, who like the above two
    > sellers conveyed that she knew how to pack and ship a monitor when I
    > asked. When it arrived, the thin piece of styrofoam that was supposed
    > to be the "packing material" had a hole in it right where the neck
    > poked through.(Luckily I asked her to remove the neck board). The pins
    > are bent, and the white piece that goes over them is broken, so I don't
    > know if this is salvageable.
    >
    > The only other monitor I've had shipped to me is a another G-08 that is
    > still in the box, which is completely filled with peanuts. So I have to
    > get around to digging deep enough into the box to check it out.
    >
    > Anyway, I was just wondering. Are my experiences normal, or am I just
    > extremely unlucky.
    >
    > And does anyone with a Star Wars monitor(and knows how to pack one)
    > feel like selling it?(I have some project monitors for trade). :-)
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

    Insurance means nothing if it's not packed well. (Not saying you don't but
    most don't). Carriers will refuse, especially on claims over $100, if it's
    not correctly packed.

    "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
    >I have some WG6100's for $350+ shipping. I'd recommend insuring it.....
    >

    > <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    >>I must have the worst luck when it comes to monitors, because for the
    >> life of me I can't get one from someone who knows how to pack before
    >> shipping.
    >>
    >> First there was that moron(Steve Popson), from Raleigh, NC, who sent me
    >> two F-ed up G-08 monitors. He lied about their condition, poorly packed
    >> them, resulting in one's neck getting smashed, jerked me around, and
    >> ultimately stopped answering e-mails. This cost me $300 so far($200 for
    >> monitors + $60 shipping + one $40 yoke from Elektronforge). And I
    >> haven't even gotten any replacement tubes for them yet.(I'll give those
    >> away).
    >>
    >> Then Brick Larson(Ebay I.D: dishconnection99) from La Crosse, Wisconsin
    >> who jerked me around for the longest after he jacked up the shipping
    >> price(to $80) for what was supposed to be a Wells Gardner monitor that
    >> I won from him on Ebay, and then finally shipped a poorly packed
    >> Electrohome monitor that has major Tapper burn-in instead.
    >>
    >> Now I have another monitor shipped to me by a Stacey Molinelli(Ebay
    >> I.D: partitall), from Winter Park, Florida, who like the above two
    >> sellers conveyed that she knew how to pack and ship a monitor when I
    >> asked. When it arrived, the thin piece of styrofoam that was supposed
    >> to be the "packing material" had a hole in it right where the neck
    >> poked through.(Luckily I asked her to remove the neck board). The pins
    >> are bent, and the white piece that goes over them is broken, so I don't
    >> know if this is salvageable.
    >>
    >> The only other monitor I've had shipped to me is a another G-08 that is
    >> still in the box, which is completely filled with peanuts. So I have to
    >> get around to digging deep enough into the box to check it out.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I was just wondering. Are my experiences normal, or am I just
    >> extremely unlucky.
    >>
    >> And does anyone with a Star Wars monitor(and knows how to pack one)
    >> feel like selling it?(I have some project monitors for trade). :-)
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Darren Harris
    >> Staten Island, New York.

    Y'know, what we really need is a non-commercial version of the
    Instapak self-molding foam cushioning packs:

    http://www.uline.com/Group_137.asp

    I had a bunch of Micros POS terminals shipped to my bar/restaurant
    that were packed in this, and it's great stuff! Problem is, you
    have to buy a glorified hotplate to heat the bags to the correct
    temperature so that they activate correctly, and said hotplate will
    set you back over $200 with shipping, which pretty much casts out
    the casual shipper.

    There must be bigger versions of the bags than are shown on the
    Uline website - the boxes that these terminal came in were probably
    18" X 24" X 24".

    Anybody got any inside poop on this system that would make it
    useful for now-and-again monitor sellers?

    S.W.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Not to sound like a jerk but quit being a cheap skate and buy a new
    monitor! Betson has 19" for $139.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I ordered a 25" on ebay from user arcade-parts... excellent packing. It
    was bolted face down by the frame onto a small wooden pallet that
    surrounded the glass but only touched the outer frame, with two boxes
    to ship it in. Shipping was $45 from FL to NJ by FedEx.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Dear Darren, Rember me? I was also one of the people that bought from
    dishconnection99. Although my monitor made it (and is working perfectly) I
    can with out a doubt tell you that I personally felt like I took it in the
    ass also on that $80.00 shipping. Let me think .... OH yes 35.00 shipping
    and 45.00 for the shipping company. (and by the way there WAS NO Fu$%ing
    shipping company)
    sent from his addy with UPS ground. My monitor was packed with a few layers
    of 1" styrofoam and came with a bent frame but he did pack it face down so
    that might have helped.
    Did you ever get things right with them?
    <micrologix1500@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Well, I can tell you one thing.. Christopher Ketcham (ebay ID:
    > stratocruiser377) knows how to pack a monitor. I got an old Motorola
    > 23" B/W monitor from him and it survived the long trip from AZ to MI.
    > He used a big box from U-haul, put the monitor in face-down (that might
    > be the key to this), and packed it with what looks like crumpled
    > plastic bags. Kind of like what you would use for a small wastepaper
    > basket. Ok so its kind of an unorthodox method, but the monitor made
    > it here in great shape.
    >
    > And to top it off the guy only charged $25 for shipping, and sent it
    > next day air! Unbelievable. Gotta give this guy his props.
    >
    > Honestly for what I paid for the monitor and shipping, I expected to
    > get a beaten up box full of broken glass. I was thinking I might be
    > able to use the chassis but throw the rest away. Boy was I wrong!

  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    He's looking for a vector (X-Y) monitor - these are no longer made. Chuk's
    price ($350) is actually pretty good.

    "Gary Vitagliano" <v-dog@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > Not to sound like a jerk but quit being a cheap skate and buy a new
    > monitor! Betson has 19" for $139.

  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Someone repro'd color XY yokes?

    --
    -Steve P.

    All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus

    "Electronic Amusements" <Electronicamuse@aol.com> wrote in message
    > And does anyone with a Star Wars monitor(and knows how to pack one)
    >
    > I expect that we are going to have brand new Color XY monitors ready in
    > 3 weeks. Proto should arrive to me next week or week after and we'll
    > whip up the production models soon to follow. Price not set yet, but
    > will have to be pricey.
    >

    > Dave

  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I've shipped both a G08 and WG61xx, but insisted on the
    buyer paying for MailBoxes, Etc. (now the UPS Store)
    to pack them. I really stressed how fragile and easily
    breakable both monitors were when I took them in for
    packing and shipping and both buyers e-mailed later
    saying what a great job they did packing. It was
    expensive ($80ish to both pack and ship), but both
    arrived perfectly intact! Sometimes, it takes paying
    someone whom packs for a living, stressing how fragile
    they are and then insuring them heavily.

    I had someone ship me a heavily Sony laserdisc player
    once in a oversized box with only a little bit of
    newspaper. It's no wonder the player was damaged!

    E-mail me about what monitors you need and have to
    trade and I'll see what I can do to help.

    Scott C.

    Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    > I must have the worst luck when it comes to monitors, because for the
    > life of me I can't get one from someone who knows how to pack before
    > shipping.
    >
    > First there was that moron(Steve Popson), from Raleigh, NC, who sent me
    > two F-ed up G-08 monitors. He lied about their condition, poorly packed
    > them, resulting in one's neck getting smashed, jerked me around, and
    > ultimately stopped answering e-mails. This cost me $300 so far($200 for
    > monitors + $60 shipping + one $40 yoke from Elektronforge). And I
    > haven't even gotten any replacement tubes for them yet.(I'll give those
    > away).
    >
    > Then Brick Larson(Ebay I.D: dishconnection99) from La Crosse, Wisconsin
    > who jerked me around for the longest after he jacked up the shipping
    > price(to $80) for what was supposed to be a Wells Gardner monitor that
    > I won from him on Ebay, and then finally shipped a poorly packed
    > Electrohome monitor that has major Tapper burn-in instead.
    >
    > Now I have another monitor shipped to me by a Stacey Molinelli(Ebay
    > I.D: partitall), from Winter Park, Florida, who like the above two
    > sellers conveyed that she knew how to pack and ship a monitor when I
    > asked. When it arrived, the thin piece of styrofoam that was supposed
    > to be the "packing material" had a hole in it right where the neck
    > poked through.(Luckily I asked her to remove the neck board). The pins
    > are bent, and the white piece that goes over them is broken, so I don't
    > know if this is salvageable.
    >
    > The only other monitor I've had shipped to me is a another G-08 that is
    > still in the box, which is completely filled with peanuts. So I have to
    > get around to digging deep enough into the box to check it out.
    >
    > Anyway, I was just wondering. Are my experiences normal, or am I just
    > extremely unlucky.
    >
    > And does anyone with a Star Wars monitor(and knows how to pack one)
    > feel like selling it?(I have some project monitors for trade). :-)
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    anonebayseller wrote:
    > Insurance means nothing if it's not packed well. (Not saying you don't but
    > most don't). Carriers will refuse, especially on claims over $100, if it's
    > not correctly packed.

    Very, very true.

    I used to be a WAN analyst for Corning, Inc. and I shipped two Cisco
    3640 routers down to one of their fiber places in the Carolinas. Fed Ex
    mangled those things in shipping, and then told me it was the way I
    packed them. I went round and round with them trying to explain that
    they way I'd packed them it would've taken a significant impact to have
    caused the damage they suffered. Many pleas and appeals ended up in
    nothing but frustration because Fed Ex refused to accept any
    responsibility for them.

    It's no exaggeration to say if you want to make sure something gets
    there --AND-- passes their insurance test if it doesn't get there in one
    piece, pack it like you're shipping an infant. They want something like
    six inches to a foot of packing material around each item (and then will
    charge you an arm an a leg to ship it when it's too big), and all kinds
    of other things. Failure to do any of this negates the insurance. No
    kidding.

    --
    Dave Bush <statman.onay.pamsay@twcny.rr.com>

    Remove the pig Latin to reply.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Scott Watson <baudtender1*DELETETHIS*@comcast.net> wrote:

    : Anybody got any inside poop on this system that would make it
    : useful for now-and-again monitor sellers?

    Go to your local distributor.

    Get a monitor box from a monitof they've already sold/installed.

    Pack your monitor in it.

    Ship it.

    --
    Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

    I bought a 13" off of e-bay... it came in a box with NO, I repeat NO packing
    material at all... the box was actually to small so the neck board was
    bending the box in the back. The good lord was looking over me as it
    actually arrived and worked (tube had quite a bit of burn though... it was
    listed as being very little burn, can't see when on... yeah... right...).
    The f**er actually demanded that I pay for insurance on the shipping... then
    it arrives with NO insurance... what a prick...

    steve

    <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    >I must have the worst luck when it comes to monitors, because for the
    > life of me I can't get one from someone who knows how to pack before
    > shipping.
    >
    > First there was that moron(Steve Popson), from Raleigh, NC, who sent me
    > two F-ed up G-08 monitors. He lied about their condition, poorly packed
    > them, resulting in one's neck getting smashed, jerked me around, and
    > ultimately stopped answering e-mails. This cost me $300 so far($200 for
    > monitors + $60 shipping + one $40 yoke from Elektronforge). And I
    > haven't even gotten any replacement tubes for them yet.(I'll give those
    > away).
    >
    > Then Brick Larson(Ebay I.D: dishconnection99) from La Crosse, Wisconsin
    > who jerked me around for the longest after he jacked up the shipping
    > price(to $80) for what was supposed to be a Wells Gardner monitor that
    > I won from him on Ebay, and then finally shipped a poorly packed
    > Electrohome monitor that has major Tapper burn-in instead.
    >
    > Now I have another monitor shipped to me by a Stacey Molinelli(Ebay
    > I.D: partitall), from Winter Park, Florida, who like the above two
    > sellers conveyed that she knew how to pack and ship a monitor when I
    > asked. When it arrived, the thin piece of styrofoam that was supposed
    > to be the "packing material" had a hole in it right where the neck
    > poked through.(Luckily I asked her to remove the neck board). The pins
    > are bent, and the white piece that goes over them is broken, so I don't
    > know if this is salvageable.
    >
    > The only other monitor I've had shipped to me is a another G-08 that is
    > still in the box, which is completely filled with peanuts. So I have to
    > get around to digging deep enough into the box to check it out.
    >
    > Anyway, I was just wondering. Are my experiences normal, or am I just
    > extremely unlucky.
    >
    > And does anyone with a Star Wars monitor(and knows how to pack one)
    > feel like selling it?(I have some project monitors for trade). :-)
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Yup, easiest way to do it. I shipped a 19" monitor in a monitor box (took 3
    minutes to pack it) through fed ex ground for I think 8 dollars about 350
    miles... would probably be more farther, but I couldn't believe how cheap it
    was.

    Ron

    "Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote in message
    > Scott Watson <baudtender1*DELETETHIS*@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > : Anybody got any inside poop on this system that would make it
    > : useful for now-and-again monitor sellers?
    >

    > Go to your local distributor.
    >
    > Get a monitor box from a monitof they've already sold/installed.
    >
    > Pack your monitor in it.
    >
    > Ship it.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    > 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
    > Cambridge, MA 02139
    > (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Gary Vitagliano wrote:
    > Not to sound like a jerk...

    Too late...

    > ...but quit being a cheap skate and buy a new
    > monitor! Betson has 19" for $139.

    Well excuse me for wanting to replace an original monitor with an
    identical one.

    I know you've made money selling "original" repro parts to collectors.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    anonebayseller wrote:
    > People don't know how to pack even when you explicitly tell them how
    to...

    <snip>

    That's exactly what I'm saying.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Darren and Shelly Anderson wrote:
    > Dear Darren, Rember me? I was also one of the people that bought from
    > dishconnection99. Although my monitor made it (and is working
    perfectly) I
    > can with out a doubt tell you that I personally felt like I took it
    in the
    > ass also on that $80.00 shipping. Let me think .... OH yes 35.00
    shipping
    > and 45.00 for the shipping company. (and by the way there WAS NO
    Fu$%ing
    > shipping company)
    > sent from his addy with UPS ground. My monitor was packed with a few
    layers
    > of 1" styrofoam and came with a bent frame but he did pack it face
    down so
    > that might have helped.
    > Did you ever get things right with them?

    I'm assuming that you monitor works, correct? Didn't he send you a
    different monitor than what you had won? He did to me and the other
    buyer.

    I haven't even tried figuring out how to put that G-07 into my
    Ms.Pac-man cabinet, since the Tapper burn-in is extreme.

    But the other guy got screwed more than we did.

    I was thinking of learning tube replacement. Perhaps I can get someone
    who has done this to help me through any sticking points in exchange
    for the monitor when finished.

    I just have to figure out if the WG4900 is usable, since that plastic
    piece that fits over the pins at the nect is broken.

    I think I'll end up giving away three out of the four G-08s I have,
    since my priority now is a monitor that I can use for Star Wars(as well
    as all of the other parts outside of an actual cabinet).

    I may have to put all this on the back burner, because I *finally*
    outbid Dick Millikan(for a Galaga boardset). :-)

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Darren and Shelly Anderson wrote:
    > Dear Darren, Rember me? I was also one of the people that bought from
    > dishconnection99. Although my monitor made it (and is working
    perfectly) I
    > can with out a doubt tell you that I personally felt like I took it
    in the
    > ass also on that $80.00 shipping. Let me think .... OH yes 35.00
    shipping
    > and 45.00 for the shipping company. (and by the way there WAS NO
    Fu$%ing
    > shipping company)
    > sent from his addy with UPS ground. My monitor was packed with a few
    layers
    > of 1" styrofoam and came with a bent frame but he did pack it face
    down so
    > that might have helped.
    > Did you ever get things right with them?

    I'm assuming that you monitor works, correct? Didn't he send you a
    different monitor than what you had won? He did to me and the other
    buyer.

    I haven't even tried figuring out how to put that G-07 into my
    Ms.Pac-man cabinet, since the Tapper burn-in is extreme.

    But the other guy got screwed more than we did.

    I was thinking of learning tube replacement. Perhaps I can get someone
    who has done this to help me through any sticking points in exchange
    for the monitor when finished.

    I just have to figure out if the WG4900 is usable, since that plastic
    piece that fits over the pins at the neck is broken.

    I think I'll end up giving away three out of the four G-08s I have,
    since my priority now is a monitor that I can use for Star Wars(as well
    as all of the other parts outside of an actual cabinet).

    I may have to put all this on the back burner, because I *finally*
    outbid Dick Millikan(for a Galaga boardset). :-)

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Electronic Amusements wrote:
    > And does anyone with a Star Wars monitor(and knows how to pack one)
    >
    > I expect that we are going to have brand new Color XY monitors ready
    in
    > 3 weeks. Proto should arrive to me next week or week after and we'll
    > whip up the production models soon to follow. Price not set yet, but
    > will have to be pricey.

    The last time someone posted something like this it was April Fools. So
    I was hoping that you could elaborate. :-)

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Naw I got just what I bid on A Neotech 25" monitor.
    I am using it in my MAME machine.
    Works great for that.

    > Darren and Shelly Anderson wrote:
    > > Dear Darren, Rember me? I was also one of the people that bought from
    > > dishconnection99. Although my monitor made it (and is working
    > perfectly) I
    > > can with out a doubt tell you that I personally felt like I took it
    > in the
    > > ass also on that $80.00 shipping. Let me think .... OH yes 35.00
    > shipping
    > > and 45.00 for the shipping company. (and by the way there WAS NO
    > Fu$%ing
    > > shipping company)
    > > sent from his addy with UPS ground. My monitor was packed with a few
    > layers
    > > of 1" styrofoam and came with a bent frame but he did pack it face
    > down so
    > > that might have helped.
    > > Did you ever get things right with them?
    >
    > I'm assuming that you monitor works, correct? Didn't he send you a
    > different monitor than what you had won? He did to me and the other
    > buyer.
    >
    > I haven't even tried figuring out how to put that G-07 into my
    > Ms.Pac-man cabinet, since the Tapper burn-in is extreme.
    >
    > But the other guy got screwed more than we did.
    >
    > I was thinking of learning tube replacement. Perhaps I can get someone
    > who has done this to help me through any sticking points in exchange
    > for the monitor when finished.
    >
    > I just have to figure out if the WG4900 is usable, since that plastic
    > piece that fits over the pins at the neck is broken.
    >
    > I think I'll end up giving away three out of the four G-08s I have,
    > since my priority now is a monitor that I can use for Star Wars(as well
    > as all of the other parts outside of an actual cabinet).
    >
    > I may have to put all this on the back burner, because I *finally*
    > outbid Dick Millikan(for a Galaga boardset). :-)
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Mark C. Spaeth wrote:
    > Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    >
    > : I may have to put all this on the back burner, because I *finally*
    > : outbid Dick Millikan(for a Galaga boardset). :-)
    >
    > Dick only bids on dead boards.
    >
    > If you weren't so cheap you could just get a working set and not have
    > worry about outbidding Dick :)

    Dick doesn't only bid on dea boards.

    Dumb-ass.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Isalnd, New York.
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Mark C. Spaeth wrote:
    > Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    >
    > : I may have to put all this on the back burner, because I *finally*
    > : outbid Dick Millikan(for a Galaga boardset). :-)
    >
    > Dick only bids on dead boards.
    >
    > If you weren't so cheap you could just get a working set and not have
    > worry about outbidding Dick :)

    Dick does *not* only bid on dead boards.

    Dumb-ass.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Rob Carroll wrote:
    > > Ask your butt-buddy Spaeth.(Or is Gary filling in now?).
    >
    > Oh, I get it now. You're lonely and jealous. :^(
    >
    > I hate to see you in pain, Darren.... so much pain. *sniff* So
    much.....

    > It will be alright. Even though you're all the way over there on
    Staten
    > Island, Mark, Gary and I will induct you as an honorary member of the
    Secret
    > Order of the Soldering Iron. Henceforth you shall be known as
    Soldering
    > Brother Boo-Hoo the Persecuted. Welcome to our secret club.
    >
    > See? We're brothers now. Stop the hate. Let out the love. C'mere,
    you...
    > give me a hug you big silly.
    >
    > Sincerely your lifelong brother and confidante,
    > Rob "Me So Dumb" Carroll
    > Solderer, First Order, S.O.S.I.

    That's ok.

    I wouldn't want to intrude on your quality time with Mark. Besides, I
    believe that it's your turn to bend over.(Or did you flip a coin to
    decide who will top today?).

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Gary Vitagliano wrote:
    > Darren I've forgot more than you will ever know about vids. Im going
    > away for a week so if you want to continue this pissing match you'll
    > have to wait.

    You forgot more than I will ever know about vids? Is this a new subject
    to fight about?

    You see, there is a whole world outside of video games(which I know
    more about than you), and that statement was only a testament to your
    child-like mentality.

    (And you started this "pissing match").

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Piece of cake, cling wrap the montior so there is NO gaps, Get a box that is
    at least 6" larger all round the monitor. Place something in the box that's
    6" high. Place monitor on top. Get a few cans of expansion foam (space
    invader, foam fill, whatever else it's called) fill box with foam. Close
    lid and seal. When hard, turn the box over and fill the gap then seal the
    box. That's how they do museum stuff.....

    "Scott Watson" <baudtender1*DELETETHIS*@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Y'know, what we really need is a non-commercial version of the
    > Instapak self-molding foam cushioning packs:
    >
    > http://www.uline.com/Group_137.asp
    >
    > I had a bunch of Micros POS terminals shipped to my bar/restaurant
    > that were packed in this, and it's great stuff! Problem is, you
    > have to buy a glorified hotplate to heat the bags to the correct
    > temperature so that they activate correctly, and said hotplate will
    > set you back over $200 with shipping, which pretty much casts out
    > the casual shipper.
    >
    > There must be bigger versions of the bags than are shown on the
    > Uline website - the boxes that these terminal came in were probably
    > 18" X 24" X 24".
    >
    > Anybody got any inside poop on this system that would make it
    > useful for now-and-again monitor sellers?
    >
    > S.W.
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    A XY monitor with Tapper burn....Riiight.
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Gary Vitagliano wrote:
    > A XY monitor with Tapper burn....Riiight.

    I guess what we have here is a reading comprehension problem.

    You might want to try going over the original post again...

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Actually, I think there were 2 different stories going on there. One was
    the broken raster monitor he received. The other was that he was looking
    for an XY monitor for a star wars.

    >A XY monitor with Tapper burn....Riiight.

  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    > I was thinking of learning tube replacement. Perhaps I can get someone
    > who has done this to help me through any sticking points in exchange
    > for the monitor when finished.

    Ahhh, yes, the mysterious oriental art of ... "tube replacement".... between
    that, and the majick craft of "soldering", once you've mastered that, and
    you'd almost qualify as a newb... not bad for somebody that's been
    collecting for at least 5 years.

    Maybe less time questioning everybody's "reading comprehension" skills, and
    getting all defensive where no offense was implied (referring to Gary's post
    and your immediate outlashes)....

    Just a thought.

    Rob
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    How exactly was this called for?

    > Gary Vitagliano wrote:
    >> Not to sound like a jerk...
    >
    > Too late...

  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Its o.k. Rob I was going to offer him one of my five spare 6100's but
    "F" him now. I think ill go sell repro parts now.
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Darren I've forgot more than you will ever know about vids. Im going
    away for a week so if you want to continue this pissing match you'll
    have to wait.
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Hmm. All this talk of giving away 6100's and G08's. I have both a
    Star Wars upright project and a Star Trek. Not to mention a Space
    Duel - all needing monitors...

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:19:13 -0400, v-dog@webtv.net (Gary Vitagliano)
    wrote:

    >Its o.k. Rob I was going to offer him one of my five spare 6100's but
    >"F" him now. I think ill go sell repro parts now.

    Kineplex Systems of Lima, Ohio
    http://www.kineplex.com
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Ok.. here's the deal... I've *never* received anything that was damaged in
    shipping via UPS... I've had things that were packaged extremely poorly but
    still nothing. It's gotten me to thinking... Not that I do it on purpose,
    but every time I see the UPS guy go buy (it's always the same guy on my
    route) I wave to him, he waves back... it's just me being friendly... the
    past couple of Christmas's I've given him a card with some cash in it...
    again just being friendly... gave the same to the trash man (can't do it to
    the PO guy any more... we don't have a regular (that and the fact that 1/2
    my neighbors get my mail on a regular basis... grr...). In any case, I may
    simply be imagining it, but it may also be that the guy knows that I collect
    breakable stuff (he's asked me about it on times when he's come and there's
    vids all over my driveway) and just takes better care of my packages because
    he likes me...

    -or- I could just be a lucky sob... but I doubt it (never happened before).

    steve

    <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    >I must have the worst luck when it comes to monitors, because for the
    > life of me I can't get one from someone who knows how to pack before
    > shipping.
    >
    > First there was that moron(Steve Popson), from Raleigh, NC, who sent me
    > two F-ed up G-08 monitors. He lied about their condition, poorly packed
    > them, resulting in one's neck getting smashed, jerked me around, and
    > ultimately stopped answering e-mails. This cost me $300 so far($200 for
    > monitors + $60 shipping + one $40 yoke from Elektronforge). And I
    > haven't even gotten any replacement tubes for them yet.(I'll give those
    > away).
    >
    > Then Brick Larson(Ebay I.D: dishconnection99) from La Crosse, Wisconsin
    > who jerked me around for the longest after he jacked up the shipping
    > price(to $80) for what was supposed to be a Wells Gardner monitor that
    > I won from him on Ebay, and then finally shipped a poorly packed
    > Electrohome monitor that has major Tapper burn-in instead.
    >
    > Now I have another monitor shipped to me by a Stacey Molinelli(Ebay
    > I.D: partitall), from Winter Park, Florida, who like the above two
    > sellers conveyed that she knew how to pack and ship a monitor when I
    > asked. When it arrived, the thin piece of styrofoam that was supposed
    > to be the "packing material" had a hole in it right where the neck
    > poked through.(Luckily I asked her to remove the neck board). The pins
    > are bent, and the white piece that goes over them is broken, so I don't
    > know if this is salvageable.
    >
    > The only other monitor I've had shipped to me is a another G-08 that is
    > still in the box, which is completely filled with peanuts. So I have to
    > get around to digging deep enough into the box to check it out.
    >
    > Anyway, I was just wondering. Are my experiences normal, or am I just
    > extremely unlucky.
    >
    > And does anyone with a Star Wars monitor(and knows how to pack one)
    > feel like selling it?(I have some project monitors for trade). :-)
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Rob Carroll <spy.hunter@verizon.net> wrote:

    : Oh, well... your loss. Gary, got a spare working 6100 deflection board I
    : can use till I repair one of mine? I got my Gravitar up again.

    I've got a couple... what's wrong with yours?

    --
    Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
    Cambridge, MA 02139
    (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Don't know... just lazy... I stole my working 6100 out of my then-defunct
    Grav to put in my Star Wars until I got around to finishing my
    Ampli-one-hundred bastardization...

    We'll see, maybe I'll get motivated and get to look at one of them this
    weekend.

    > Rob Carroll <spy.hunter@verizon.net> wrote:
    >
    > : Oh, well... your loss. Gary, got a spare working 6100 deflection board
    > : can use till I repair one of mine? I got my Gravitar up again.
    >
    > I've got a couple... what's wrong with yours?
    >
    > --
    > Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    > 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
    > Cambridge, MA 02139
    > (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    youre not lucky (well you may be but that isnt what is driving this
    situation) You treat people with courtesy and respect and get the same in
    return. I remember back in 1998/99 there were threads here about the
    Forward Air dock people being "monkeys" "apes" "low class morons" and all
    the rest. No wonder those people had problems with FA - that kind of
    attitude comes out in person whether or not the person intends for it to.

    I treated the FA personell (I never could spell that) much as you treat the
    UPS guy, and never - never - had an issue with them and they would go out of
    their way to help out - I can remember the driver for the company that FA
    used to pick up games from my dock helping me pallet and crate if he got
    there early and we werent ready for him.

    Smartest move anyone can make is to be friendly with the garbage man - our
    guy gets a nice bottle every Christmas, and I buy him and his crew coffee
    anytime I run across them in the local coffee shop. Pays off - a few years
    ago when I was in one of my fits of being disgusted that I couldnt even give
    things away, he parked next to my dock while we threw 5 complete dumpster
    loads of stuff out, emptying as soon as we filled it, dropping it back down
    for more.

    Just because someone has a job that we dont want to do doesnt make them less
    of a person, and a little recognition goes a long long way.
    --
    Art
    "Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> sellers conveyed that she knew how to pack and ship a monitor when I
    >> asked. When it arrived, the thin piece of styrofoam that was supposed
    >> to be the "packing material" had a hole in it right where the neck
    >> poked through.(Luckily I asked her to remove the neck board). The pins
    >> are bent, and the white piece that goes over them is broken, so I don't
    >> know if this is salvageable.
    >>
    >> The only other monitor I've had shipped to me is a another G-08 that is
    >> still in the box, which is completely filled with peanuts. So I have to
    >> get around to digging deep enough into the box to check it out.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I was just wondering. Are my experiences normal, or am I just
    >> extremely unlucky.
    >>
    >> And does anyone with a Star Wars monitor(and knows how to pack one)
    >> feel like selling it?(I have some project monitors for trade). :-)

  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Art,
    I couldn't have said that better myself. Well, except maybe by spelling
    'personnel' correctly. ;^)

    Rob

    "Art Mallet - Artfromny - formerly A218@aol.com" <artgames@nycap.rr.com>
    wrote in message news:_BSge.27219$ia6.2625@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> [...]
    >>> sellers conveyed that she knew how to pack and ship a monitor when I
    >>> asked. When it arrived, the thin piece of styrofoam that was supposed
    >>> to be the "packing material" had a hole in it right where the neck
    >>> poked through.(Luckily I asked her to remove the neck board). The pins
    >>> are bent, and the white piece that goes over them is broken, so I don't
    >>> know if this is salvageable.
    >>>
    >>> The only other monitor I've had shipped to me is a another G-08 that is
    >>> still in the box, which is completely filled with peanuts. So I have to
    >>> get around to digging deep enough into the box to check it out.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, I was just wondering. Are my experiences normal, or am I just
    >>> extremely unlucky.
    >>>
    >>> And does anyone with a Star Wars monitor(and knows how to pack one)
    >>> feel like selling it?(I have some project monitors for trade). :-)

  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

    : I may have to put all this on the back burner, because I *finally*
    : outbid Dick Millikan(for a Galaga boardset). :-)

    Dick only bids on dead boards.

    If you weren't so cheap you could just get a working set and not have to
    worry about outbidding Dick :)

    --
    Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
    Cambridge, MA 02139
    (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    > Ask your butt-buddy Spaeth.(Or is Gary filling in now?).

    Oh, I get it now. You're lonely and jealous. :^(

    I hate to see you in pain, Darren.... so much pain. *sniff* So much.....

    It will be alright. Even though you're all the way over there on Staten
    Island, Mark, Gary and I will induct you as an honorary member of the Secret
    Order of the Soldering Iron. Henceforth you shall be known as Soldering
    Brother Boo-Hoo the Persecuted. Welcome to our secret club.

    See? We're brothers now. Stop the hate. Let out the love. C'mere, you...
    give me a hug you big silly.

    Sincerely your lifelong brother and confidante,
    Rob "Me So Dumb" Carroll
    Solderer, First Order, S.O.S.I.
  43. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    :
    : Gary Vitagliano wrote:
    :> Darren I've forgot more than you will ever know about vids. Im going
    :> away for a week so if you want to continue this pissing match you'll
    :> have to wait.
    :
    : You forgot more than I will ever know about vids? Is this a new subject
    : to fight about?
    :
    : You see, there is a whole world outside of video games(which I know
    : more about than you), and that statement was only a testament to your
    : child-like mentality.

    Watch out, Gary... don't try to get in a debate with him on the fine
    points of being a security guard. He knows more about being a really
    big black guy than you ever will!

    ....but since this is a video game newsgroup, you two will have to take
    that debate elsewhere...

    --
    Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
    Cambridge, MA 02139
    (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
  44. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    lol... I thought Art DID spell it correctly... oh man... (my 2nd grader had
    "impromtu" on her spelling list today but copied it incorrectly off the
    board. So she askes me how to spell it... I end up sending her off to look
    it up in the dictionary (for HER benefit of course)... partial differential
    equations, I'm right there... spelling... ewwwwwwww.... )

    "Rob Carroll" <spy.hunter@verizon.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>> poorly but still nothing. It's gotten me to thinking... Not that I do
    >>> it on purpose, but every time I see the UPS guy go buy (it's always the
    >>> same guy on my route) I wave to him, he waves back... it's just me being
    >>> friendly... the past couple of Christmas's I've given him a card with
    >>> some cash in it... again just being friendly... gave the same to the
    >>> trash man (can't do it to the PO guy any more... we don't have a regular
    >>> (that and the fact that 1/2 my neighbors get my mail on a regular
    >>> basis... grr...). In any case, I may simply be imagining it, but it may
    >>> also be that the guy knows that I collect breakable stuff (he's asked me
    >>> about it on times when he's come and there's vids all over my driveway)
    >>> and just takes better care of my packages because he likes me...
    >>>
    >>> -or- I could just be a lucky sob... but I doubt it (never happened

  45. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Yeah, that was my bad. I thought it was funny, but people guessed it
    too quick. At least "hand wound yokes" got a laugh or two.
  46. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Man oh man have you guys lost it!

    How'd a series of posts about how some people just don't know how to
    pack things for shipping degrade into this pre-kindergarten flame-fest?

    Forget it. I don't want to know.

    It's clear who's got a sense of humor here (and I haven't forgotten to
    send that board to you Mark, I've just been too lazy to do it since I
    had surgery a few weeks ago), and who's comedically challenged.

    Would y'all just go have a beer, relax, and shake hands?
    --
    Dave Bush <statman.onay.pamsay@twcny.rr.com>

    Remove the pig Latin to reply.
  47. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Dave Bush <statman.onay.pamsay@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

    : Would y'all just go have a beer, relax, and shake hands?

    Nah... I tried that once... he wouldn't shake my hand :)

    I think that was brought up earlier in the thread... heh.

    --
    Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
    Cambridge, MA 02139
    (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
  48. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    What a surprise.Someone mentions giving something away.And out p'ops
    Zinfer. :(((((

    --

    THANKS.MARK,
    MARKLINE VENDING

    I forgot.Were those alcohiks anonimous buttons I sent you.???

    --

    THANKS.MARK,
    MARKLINE VENDING
    BUY/SELL/TRADE/VIDEO GAMES
    VENDING MACHINES,SLOTS,PINBALLS
    OVER 100+CLASSIC VIDEO GAMES IN STOCK,ETC.ETC.
    516-678-9671

Monitors Video Games