stop error 0x1000000A

hi there
my friend just helped me put together a new computer on OS xp service
pack 2 and from the beginning i have been getting the blue screen of
death stop error:

0x1000000a (0x412ebcb4, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804e85bc)

i have searched through the net and found 1 similar problem on this
forum which is the link
http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=68339

this persons problem lies in his graphics card drivers files.
so i guess i probably have the same sorta problem,the grphics card i
got is NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro (yes i know its a bit old...because
the ati radeon 9800 pro didnt work for some reason so this graphics
card is a temporary sub).I have updated my drivers to 71.89 (latest)
for xp/2000 and the problem hasnt resolved.

any help will be much appreciated thanks
wai

--
shau
shau's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=6220

shau wrote:
> hi there
> my friend just helped me put together a new computer on OS xp service
> pack 2 and from the beginning i have been getting the blue screen of
> death stop error:
>
> 0x1000000a (0x412ebcb4, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804e85bc)
>
> i have searched through the net and found 1 similar problem on this
> forum which is the link
> http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=68339
>
> this persons problem lies in his graphics card drivers files.
> so i guess i probably have the same sorta problem,the grphics card i
> got is NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro (yes i know its a bit old...because
> the ati radeon 9800 pro didnt work for some reason so this graphics
> card is a temporary sub).I have updated my drivers to 71.89 (latest)
> for xp/2000 and the problem hasnt resolved.
>
> any help will be much appreciated thanks
> wai

Use XP's Event Viewer to see if it has some entries related to your probem ---perhaps by date & time.
Start button/ Run / type
eventvwr.msc<enter> --
or Go to Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance/Administrative Tools >Event Viewer.
Review the sections and look for Errors or Warnings that match the time the event occurred.
Double click the line that is at issue---the information may give a clue.

Take a look at David Candy's suggestions here
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain/browse_thread/thread/bcf11e00906add92/81a7ffbd2b7f8e3a?q=0x1000000a&rnum=5&hl=en#81a7ffbd2b7f8e3a

Before this particular error showed up, had anyone made hardware changes, or updated or changed programs, or changed drivers?
That's to say, can you recall a significant change prior to this?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Hi Shau,

To determine what driver is causing the problem I need you to enable driver
verifier.
Steps:
1) Windows Key + R
2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select
the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose
'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but
will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash
the blue screen will hopefully say something like
"DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". If this occurs please send the
corresponding minidump (by default it is at c:\windows\Minidump ) my way.
If you have any questions or I didn't explain something well enough don't
hesitate to e-mail me (remove "online") back. Good Luck,

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft
-----

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

"shau" <shau.1oucfn@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> hi there
> my friend just helped me put together a new computer on OS xp service
> pack 2 and from the beginning i have been getting the blue screen of
> death stop error:
>
> 0x1000000a (0x412ebcb4, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804e85bc)
>
> i have searched through the net and found 1 similar problem on this
> forum which is the link
> http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=68339
>
> this persons problem lies in his graphics card drivers files.
> so i guess i probably have the same sorta problem,the grphics card i
> got is NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro (yes i know its a bit old...because
> the ati radeon 9800 pro didnt work for some reason so this graphics
> card is a temporary sub).I have updated my drivers to 71.89 (latest)
> for xp/2000 and the problem hasnt resolved.
>
> any help will be much appreciated thanks
> wai
>

> --
> shau
> shau's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=6220
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=94865
> Visit - http://forums.techarena.in/archive/index.php/

thx for your reply

i have checked on event viewer and just before the save dump(of the
error)i get 2 information-"Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 5.01. 2600 Service
Pack 2 Multiprocessor Free" and "he Event log service was started"... i
dont think this may have anything to do with it? At the moment im
following the advice you gave me from your link, using verifier, i will
reply when i get the blue screen with the error message again

thanks

--
shau
shau's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=6220
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=94865
Visit - http://forums.techarena.in/archive/index.php/

thx for your reply
i will reply again asap , sorry i was just a bit busy and now it is a
bit hard for me to crash the pc when i want it to crash...ussually it
crashes once a day,ill leave my computer overnight till it crashes as
thats the only time i can leave verifier on because when i turn my
computer on with verifier my computer cant connect to my lan network so
i hope it crashes at nite.

thx again
wai

--