reinstall without losing files

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm having some nasty problems with Windows XP and it looks like I will
have to reinstall. If I reinstall, will I lose the data in my user
accounts or is there a way save all of my files?

Danny wrote:
> I'm having some nasty problems with Windows XP and it looks like I will
> have to reinstall. If I reinstall, will I lose the data in my user
> accounts or is there a way save all of my files?

If you perform a repair installation, a.k.a. an in-place upgrade, your
current applications and data should remain intact.

That said, things can go wrong, in a small number of cases. If your
data is at all important to you, back it up before proceeding. One tool
that might help you preserve your data and settings would be the File
and Settings Transfer Wizard:

HOW TO Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard By Using the Windows
XP CD-ROM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306186

HOW TO Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard with a Wizard Disk in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306187

Of course, if you decide to perform a "clean" installation, everything
will be erased off at least the system partition, so you'll want to back
up your data before starting.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Hi Danny
If your computer came with xp pre installed on it then you can easily
restore it back to factory installement. This is probably the best way as you
do not lose any of your files - i did it about a month ago and i lost nothing
:) hopefully you have xp pre installed

The Aussie Girl wrote:
> If your computer came with xp pre installed on it then you can easily
> restore it back to factory installement. This is probably the best
> way as you do not lose any of your files - i did it about a month ago
> and i lost nothing :) hopefully you have xp pre installed

Careful Aussie Girl...
Not all "Restore" systems are the same. Some perform ONLY destructive
restores.

--
--
The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you

Im sorry Shenan if i gave unclear advice to someone, i assume that once
people have gotten into the restore mode and actually read where it explains
what exactly destructive restore is and what exactly factory restore is then
it would have been clear. And if you do only have one option im assuming that
after reading destructive restore you would understand that yes it does wipe
every file that you have.

sorry if ive mislead anyone, i will from now on keep my advice to myself.

I should tell my IT manager then Shenan as she told me that 99% of computers
come with both options and 100% of HP computers come with both options

thanks anyway :)

The Aussie Girl wrote:
> Im sorry Shenan if i gave unclear advice to someone, i assume that
> once people have gotten into the restore mode and actually read where
> it explains what exactly destructive restore is and what exactly
> factory restore is then it would have been clear. And if you do only
> have one option im assuming that after reading destructive restore
> you would understand that yes it does wipe every file that you have.
>
> sorry if ive mislead anyone, i will from now on keep my advice to
> myself.
>
> I should tell my IT manager then Shenan as she told me that 99% of
> computers come with both options and 100% of HP computers come with
> both options

A system sold the way it should be (in (at least) my opinion) should not
come with a "Restore Media set", as that assumes too much. Systems change
too much to rely on something so static as a restore medium - returning
everything to the "way it was" despite the fact that you could have gotten
before SP1 and now you have SP2 - both of which are significant changes. It
would be better if it just came with the Windows XP CD and install media for
all other applications that came with it.

The interesting things I have found giving advice in a worldwide forum..
- People will blindly follow advice sometimes. They will not read all the
descriptions that they should (reading instructions is something most people
claim to do, but do not.) and those lapses in judgement can cause a lot of
damage.
- There is NOTHING that can be said about 99% of any group of computers -
even those made by the same manufacturer. Compaq/HP is definitely one that
has changed in the last 2-5 years. They are sold in different ways in
different areas of the world even..

You are more than welcome to give your advice - I wasn't berating you - just
correcting you. I invite you to give more advice and answer more
questions - as it is differing opinions and perspectives that sometimes
clears out a problem.

--