You hear the pinball guys talking about this in regard to backglasses
all the time. I was wondering if anyone will admit to or describe a
situation where you might clearcoat the sideart. Not the stickers. more like
a pac man, or a crystal castles. where it is screened on the side, or
painted.

I have a really sweet crystal castles with perfect sideart. and I can't
help but wonder about preservation methods. Like clean it up once and for
all, hit it with some krylon UV clear. stupid idea? google seemed to produce
only pinball related discussions.

- Bentley Bear (Patrick Mettes)

You don't plan on rolling pinballs around on the artwork are you???

The only thing you need to worry about is keeping it dry and away from tons
of UV.

You have nothing to gain and tons to loose if you clear the cabinet.

just my .02

--
Mickster

Visit my website and see my arcade!!

http://mickster.freeservers.com

"Bentley Bear" <pmettes@comcast.net> wrote in message
> You hear the pinball guys talking about this in regard to backglasses
> all the time. I was wondering if anyone will admit to or describe a
> situation where you might clearcoat the sideart. Not the stickers. more
> like a pac man, or a crystal castles. where it is screened on the side, or
> painted.
>
> I have a really sweet crystal castles with perfect sideart. and I can't
> help but wonder about preservation methods. Like clean it up once and for
> all, hit it with some krylon UV clear. stupid idea? google seemed to
> produce only pinball related discussions.
>
> - Bentley Bear (Patrick Mettes)

The sideart on Atari cabs is so damn tough it's rare IMO to see one that's
damaged. Heck you can even clean them with Dow Scrubbing Bubbles - makes them
look REALLY sharp. Don't try this with other games though. Something as
relatively mild as Windex will instantly remove art from Bally/Midway stickers
such as Tron, Wizard of Wor, etc.

Clearcoating cabs seems like not such a great idea. A very few cabinets were
clearcoated in some way from the factory. Ever see the clear peeling and
flaking off a Gyruss? Looks like ass.. Also consider that clearcoat tends to
be somewhat brittle. You spray a cab up like a car, move it around a few times,
chip the clearcoat, and it will peel. Unless you use a lot of 'flex agent' in
it (like used on plastic car bumpers) and then it never really cures hard.

Pretty much like Mickey said - keep them in the best reasonable environment you
can. Extremes of cold, dry, or humid are all bad news for games both vid and
pin.

Richard

Bentley Bear wrote:

> ok thanks guys, thats what i wanted, to hear the opinion of others. I will
> not spray any clear. Thanks!

Just an idea(I have never tried this myself):

You could get a large sheet of acrylic for each side, find some way to
attach them without modifying the cabinet(I can't remember, offhand,
whether this game has carriage bolts on the sides. If so, those could
be used.), then trim them to size.

-Andy C

--
Don't forget to remove the "Vegetable" from my email address to write me
directly!

I don't think that the pinheads clear coat the playfields (from what I've
read).

In a lot of cases where they clear coat the cabinets, it's after they
repaint the whole thing, not original artwork. Also, I've read that a clear
coat on backglass will stop additional flaking. I've been wondering about
glass bezels?

"Dave M" <q_bert@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I don't think that the pinheads clear coat the playfields (from what I've
> read).

Most of the time, they are talking about clearing the playfields. Anal
collectors start to freak out that there will be ball wear even in home use.
Also some collectors want that extra shiny wet look all the time.

> In a lot of cases where they clear coat the cabinets, it's after they
> repaint the whole thing, not original artwork. Also, I've read that a
> clear
> coat on backglass will stop additional flaking. I've been wondering about
> glass bezels?
>

> Mickey Johnson <mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote in message
>> You don't plan on rolling pinballs around on the artwork are you???
>>
>> The only thing you need to worry about is keeping it dry and away from
> tons
>> of UV.
>>
>> You have nothing to gain and tons to loose if you clear the cabinet.
>>
>> just my .02
>>
>> --
>> Mickster
>>
>> Visit my website and see my arcade!!
>>
>> http://mickster.freeservers.com
>>
>> "Bentley Bear" <pmettes@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > You hear the pinball guys talking about this in regard to
>> > backglasses
>> > all the time. I was wondering if anyone will admit to or describe a
>> > situation where you might clearcoat the sideart. Not the stickers. more
>> > like a pac man, or a crystal castles. where it is screened on the side,
> or
>> > painted.
>> >
>> > I have a really sweet crystal castles with perfect sideart. and I
> can't
>> > help but wonder about preservation methods. Like clean it up once and
> for
>> > all, hit it with some krylon UV clear. stupid idea? google seemed to
>> > produce only pinball related discussions.
>> >
>> > - Bentley Bear (Patrick Mettes)

guinness

>>I don't think that the pinheads clear coat the playfields (from what I've
read).

HUH? Playfields are exactly whats getting coated!!!

tim (NH)

"Dave M" <q_bert@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I don't think that the pinheads clear coat the playfields (from what I've
> read).
>
> In a lot of cases where they clear coat the cabinets, it's after they
> repaint the whole thing, not original artwork. Also, I've read that a
> clear
> coat on backglass will stop additional flaking. I've been wondering about
> glass bezels?
>

> Mickey Johnson <mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote in message
>> You don't plan on rolling pinballs around on the artwork are you???
>>
>> The only thing you need to worry about is keeping it dry and away from
> tons
>> of UV.
>>
>> You have nothing to gain and tons to loose if you clear the cabinet.
>>
>> just my .02
>>
>> --
>> Mickster
>>
>> Visit my website and see my arcade!!
>>
>> http://mickster.freeservers.com
>>
>> "Bentley Bear" <pmettes@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > You hear the pinball guys talking about this in regard to
>> > backglasses
>> > all the time. I was wondering if anyone will admit to or describe a
>> > situation where you might clearcoat the sideart. Not the stickers. more
>> > like a pac man, or a crystal castles. where it is screened on the side,
> or
>> > painted.
>> >
>> > I have a really sweet crystal castles with perfect sideart. and I
> can't
>> > help but wonder about preservation methods. Like clean it up once and
> for
>> > all, hit it with some krylon UV clear. stupid idea? google seemed to
>> > produce only pinball related discussions.
>> >
>> > - Bentley Bear (Patrick Mettes)

I would be cautious because some "clear" coats will yellow over time.
Might make the white areas look dingy or yellowish. YUK.

On Thu, 12 May 2005 08:31:16 -0500, "Mickey Johnson" <mickster@derbyworks.net>
wrote:
>"Dave M" <q_bert@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>I don't think that the pinheads clear coat the playfields (from what I've
>> read).
>
>Most of the time, they are talking about clearing the playfields. Anal
>collectors start to freak out that there will be ball wear even in home use.
>Also some collectors want that extra shiny wet look all the time.

You're right, it's usually the playfields. Clearcoating pinball cabinets is
pretty rare (thank goodness.) As far as playfields go, there's two camps.
"Anal collectors" that "freak out" and clearcoat everything in sight, including
never-used NOS playfields that they may or may not ever install in a machine..
and then the rest of us, that have extensive touch-up work done on old worn
playfields and need to preserve the touch-ups.

I know it's fun to pick on the "other guys" but keep in mind there's quite a few
of us that collect both vids AND pins. And not all pin collectors are "anal" -
the overwhelming majority of us do understand these games were meant to be
PLAYED. : )

Richard

heh heh, obviously, I haven't read that much about pinball stuff.

guinness <timburnhamREMOVE@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> >>I don't think that the pinheads clear coat the playfields (from what
I've
> read).
>
> HUH? Playfields are exactly whats getting coated!!!
>
> tim (NH)
>
> "Dave M" <q_bert@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >I don't think that the pinheads clear coat the playfields (from what I've
> > read).
> >
> > In a lot of cases where they clear coat the cabinets, it's after they
> > repaint the whole thing, not original artwork. Also, I've read that a
> > clear
> > coat on backglass will stop additional flaking. I've been wondering
about
> > glass bezels?
> >

> > Mickey Johnson <mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote in message
> >> You don't plan on rolling pinballs around on the artwork are you???
> >>
> >> The only thing you need to worry about is keeping it dry and away from
> > tons
> >> of UV.
> >>
> >> You have nothing to gain and tons to loose if you clear the cabinet.
> >>
> >> just my .02
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mickster
> >>
> >> Visit my website and see my arcade!!
> >>
> >> http://mickster.freeservers.com
> >>
> >> "Bentley Bear" <pmettes@comcast.net> wrote in message
more
> > or

> > can't
> > for

I clearcoat the glass marquees that have started to flake then use the saran
wrap technique as it's basically the same as a backglass. You can use any
clearcoat but triple thick requires fewer applications of course.