cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Anyone know what this could possibly be caused by?

<A HREF="http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~foskey/d3effect.bmp" target="_new">Clicky</A>

In game many of the red and white dots sparkle all over the screen but generally follow geometry lines. I know it looks like OC artifacts or overheating, but my card is at stock speeds and is not running hot. Plus its almost brand new. This is the only game it occurs in, and its pretty sporadic as well. Ideas?

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
u using any mod like HUMUS etc.
Have u tried forced AF via CP and locked doom cfg file so that no overriding takes place.
Try toggling vsync also.
Update to latest drivers or 4.9s.

<i> :evil: <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :evil: </i>
<b>Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now.</b>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
You got a bad core and it artifacts at stock! Sucks dude, but you're gonna have to underclock it or send it in, and I recommend the latter.

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Yeah Im using the 4.9s. Funny thing happens, while i was playing the other day, VPU recover reset the card while these artifacts were getting pretty bad, and then afterwards they were all gone. Probably a bad core still?

P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
having a bad core should give artifacts ALWAYS. I mean it shouldnt be moody, coming and going whenever it feels like. Those minute bas***ds.

So you might not have a core prob. What I would do, take the card out...kill the drivers and install the card as if you just bought n got a new one. Maybe dust ur computer a bit, tighten connecions..improve cooling...etc..u know.

<i> :evil: <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :evil: </i>
<b>Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now.</b>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Well the URL is not working but DOOM 3 puts a lot of strain on graphics cards and feeds a butt-load of data to it. Overclocking it does not help the situation. Try stock speeds with the stock drivers. If nogo the RMA the sucker.

Mobile Barton 2500+ @ 2420mhz 11x220 1.7v
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro to XT(463/795)

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
it was about time for a format anyways, maybe that'll help.

penus

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
wow... a huge 2.25 meg bitmap! are you trying to compensate for something??? =). in the future, you might want to convert bitmaps to jpeg's.

but... i have a 9800 xt and had the SAME problem. little red and white dots all over the place, and in a lot of cases, where there was a lot of structure in a doom 3 map on the screen, i had that dot infection real bad. at first i thought it was an STD i caught from having cybersex without using a rubber, but then it happened...

i bought a radeon x800 and also an nvidia 6800 gt and <i>the white dots went away</i> for good. i cancelled all my doctor appointments, threw all my extra rubbers in the trash, and have since enjoyed many hours of doom 3 (as well as twice the unprotected cybersex than before). i don't know how to fix the prob on my 9800 and wouldn't recommend upgrading to either card for that reason, but i thought i would share that with you while we were on the topic.

penus

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
i just replied to your white dot/red dot post, but i also couldn't help but notice your hauppauge tv card in your system specs. your pc is virtually identical to mine and i am highly interested in video capture. i know it's off the subject of doom 3 artifacts, but perhaps you can answer these questions for me that can't be found on their website:

1) what is the max capture res? does it go to 1024x768?
2) is the picture quality of the captures good and smooth?
3) is it worth the money?
4) would an agp radeon 9800 all in wonder perform better or worse than a pci video-capture-only card?
5) does its performance decrease when urinated on?

and maybe you could even shed more buyer-educational light on your tv card because i have a lot of old national geographic vhs tapes that i would like to transfer to cd (constant rewinding of all the animal mating scenes has eventually caused bad tracking problems on those specific parts of the tapes).

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Welp i would have posted a JPEG, but unfortunetely all the dots get obscured by the compression. And the format and reinstall didnt help, by the way. So im thinking this may be a real issue. Were you using 4.9 cats?

Any other 9800 PRO/XT users have this problem besides us 2?

About the TV card...(this model I own I've had for over 4 years. I am not sure if there have been any changes in the new WinTV cards)

1.) No. max of my model is 720x480
2.) Its not bad, its definately better with a fast computer (like i said, ive had this for 4 years so a wide range of processors)
3.) I paid $50 at the time. I use it just to watch TV in my bedroom since I've got a 50" DLP in the living room. I think its money well spent for what I use it for,
4.) Yes. My roommate has an All in Wonder card and it really does look better. Plus, the software it comes with is more user friendly and the remote is a killer feature. Just costs more though.
5.) Yes.

Basically Id say if you can swing any AIW Radeon card you might be better off, or even if you wanted to get a TV wonder. If all you really want to do is capture, id recomment a pinnacle capture card or USB box. We used to sell those like hotcakes when i worked at best buy, and they did an excellent job. Hope that helps.

penus

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
Were you using 4.9 cats?
yup. i didn't try reinstalling the game because what good would that do? i am taking my x800 and geforce 6800 gt back in a few days so i will be forced to deal with the doom garbage. i have been playing it for only a few hours at a time cuz of my schedule and i hope i can beat the game before i have to return the cards. i guess it will be back to playing ut2004 until i upgrade to pcix.

thx for the input on the card. do you have small samples on a personal site or know where sample captures can be dl'd? i don't see any tv capture manufacturers that have samples on their sites. are they trying to hide something or what..?

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
All my recorded videos were made with Snapstream beyond TV v3.4, and they are all 30+ min TV shows, so theyre too large to upload. Im betting thats the same reason most manufacturers dont upload videos, in order for people to download a reasonable sized file the compression would have to be pretty high and thus the picture would look like crap. I dont think theyd want to try and sell their products by demonstrating highly compressed video.

The more Ive played Doom the more ive noticed just how sporadic these artifacts are. In some instances, even during heavy action with a lot of geometry on screen there is no sign of them, yet other times it gets really bad.

Im about to put an arctic cooling HSF on mine just to rule out overheating as a possibility (yet right now my thermal probe says its not getting over 45C, so who knows).

P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

penus

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
i would figure they'd at least make a 1-2 minute sample. i really hate to buy expensive products. i am the guy who generally takes things back if they suck ass. is it easy to edit the file to, say, remove the commercials? i wish there was some place that has even so much as a 10 second capture so it's easier to preview. oh well.

i wonder if the doom3 prob could really be due to overheating, tho. my temp stays between 55-60C even with overdrive turned on and doom 3 is the only game it does that on with my card. ut2004 is not as advanced as doom 3, but ut's graphics and detail are still phenominally visual and it runs very liquid smooth with no artifacts.

<i>a few minutes later</i>... holy s... i went back to my doom game to check something out with the ultra detail mode. i don't know what i did other than change the setting, but it runs even smoother than it did before in high mode. maybe that's impossible, but i know what i see. then i hiked the res up to 1600x1200 w/ AAx2 and only lost a few fps. i haven't seen that mode before and it actually rivals what i saw on the nvidia 6800. if i were you i would look into getting the x800 (what i just played that on). i guarantee that you'll lose your dots and the gameplay will be much better. i feel stupid just noticing this. doom 3 is effing awesome. i bet it would look super with pcix.