Suggestions for my plan to move to fido

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for my plan on
switching to fido.

I am purchasing a used unlocked Nokia 6340i for 50 bucks from a
friend. That cell also has analog so I can use the bell towers when
outside of the fido coverage area.

I use around 30 minutes a month currently on rogers.

I have been really thinking about the 10$ a month program that fido
doesn't advertise. This is still offered correct? It also includes the
system access fee but has no minutes in the plan.

As far as I can tell for my usage the fido plan is the cheapest out
there. Is there any other plans/phones out there I should look for?

Thanks,
Rob
14 answers Last reply
More about suggestions plan move fido

    Hi Rob,

    My opinion is very biased towards Fido, so consider yourself warned.

    "Rob Williams" <robwil@rogers.com> wrote in message

    > I use around 30 minutes a month currently on rogers.
    It's always a problem to find a "fair" plan with such usage, thus don't
    expect you can save a lot. But apparently they are the best - you can even
    get International Roaming and Calling with that plan!

    > I have been really thinking about the 10$ a month program that fido
    > doesn't advertise. This is still offered correct? It also includes the
    > system access fee but has no minutes in the plan.
    The plan (10$/0 mins) is still there. However, those... well...
    not-so-customer-friendly people at my favourite company made it SO LESS
    useful. Since about February 2004, it's 30 cents/minute (which I consider an
    armed robbery).

    On the bright side (in oppose to pre-paid), it's still per second billing
    (which is a big achievement for North American company).
    On the dark side (again comparing to pre-paid), it has no Voice Mail and/or
    Caller ID (which you still can get for extra 4 to 6 bucks per month).

    > I am purchasing a used unlocked Nokia 6340i for 50 bucks from a
    > friend. That cell also has analog so I can use the bell towers when
    > outside of the fido coverage area.
    Sorry, "nothing to tell you". I mean, my guess would be that analog calls
    are 20 cents/minute with per minute billing [if available with that plan at
    all].

    > As far as I can tell for my usage the fido plan is the cheapest out
    > there. Is there any other plans/phones out there I should look for?
    Consider pre-paid if you make up to 30 up-to-one-minute calls per month (or
    15 up-to-two-minutes calls). Bottom line is count calls, not minutes, and
    you may save with pre-paid.

    Good luck,
    John.

    P.S. I don't check my e-mail.

    I thought that they only "offered" the $10 plan to existing customers as
    part of a retention program.

    In article <ef99f51a.0407051345.12271f99@posting.google.com>,
    robwil@rogers.com (Rob Williams) wrote:

    > As far as I can tell for my usage the fido plan is the cheapest out
    > there. Is there any other plans/phones out there I should look for?

    It seems like you've got everything covered to me, assuming that plan is
    available. I believe it is, but I'm not sure the system access fee is
    really a part of it. What about prepaid?

    --
    Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
    "Morituri Nolumus Mori."

    From what I could tell prepaid did not offer US roaming along with
    analog service in Canada. Which isn't to good for me as I travel down
    to waterloo 4 times a month.

    Rob

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 14:45:38 -0700, Rob Williams wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for my plan on
    > switching to fido.
    >
    > I am purchasing a used unlocked Nokia 6340i for 50 bucks from a friend.
    > That cell also has analog so I can use the bell towers when outside of the
    > fido coverage area.
    >
    > I use around 30 minutes a month currently on rogers.
    >
    > I have been really thinking about the 10$ a month program that fido
    > doesn't advertise. This is still offered correct? It also includes the
    > system access fee but has no minutes in the plan.
    >
    > As far as I can tell for my usage the fido plan is the cheapest out there.
    > Is there any other plans/phones out there I should look for?

    30 minutes a month? Stay with Rogers, get a phone with 850MHz coverage
    and go prepaid. Rogers 850MHz coverage is pretty much the same as it's
    analog coverage, except of course GSM is far better then analog. TTYL

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 18:51:41 -0400, John Doe wrote:

    >> I have been really thinking about the 10$ a month program that fido
    >> doesn't advertise. This is still offered correct? It also includes the
    >> system access fee but has no minutes in the plan.
    > The plan (10$/0 mins) is still there. However, those... well...
    > not-so-customer-friendly people at my favourite company made it SO LESS
    > useful. Since about February 2004, it's 30 cents/minute (which I consider
    > an armed robbery).

    Just like to mention that you can't just go with the $10 plan. You MUST
    be on a $20 or more plan for 3 months before you are allowed to switch to
    the $10 plan. TTYL

    Ya, it does look like rogers pre-paid does make a little more sense. I
    personally hate rogers as a company and would love to switch.

    I don't have to worry then to much about the coverage issue if I stay
    with them. Although I will hate the hassel of having purchase the
    cards.

    Does anyone know if they charge a fee like fido does for switching
    from a plan to pre-paid? There website is down as I am writting this.

    I have not been able to access the web site for weeks now.

    Ms. Synthesizer is unable to understand me because I talk funny!

    Now what?

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 08:59:45 -0700, Rob Williams wrote:

    > Ya, it does look like rogers pre-paid does make a little more sense. I
    > personally hate rogers as a company and would love to switch.

    That's what kept me away from Rogers for the longest time. But now since
    I've switched I've been very happy. Their coverage is many many times
    better then Fido, and the quality of their network, while not as good as
    Fido, is more then good enough for me, and is EASILY offset by the breadth
    of coverage.

    > I don't have to worry then to much about the coverage issue if I stay with
    > them. Although I will hate the hassel of having purchase the cards.

    Do it online with your Visa card, no cards needed.

    > Does anyone know if they charge a fee like fido does for switching from a
    > plan to pre-paid? There website is down as I am writting this.

    No clue sorry. TTYL

    Well...actually Fido is now offering this retention plan to prepaid
    customer. I was on prepaid for a year or so and suddenly Fido called
    me and ask me if I'm interested to switch to this $10 retention plan,
    and they credited me back my prepaid balance and gave me 3 months
    free. The $10 includes system access fee and caller id too.

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 12:18:36 -0700, EB wrote:

    > Well...actually Fido is now offering this retention plan to prepaid
    > customer. I was on prepaid for a year or so and suddenly Fido called me
    > and ask me if I'm interested to switch to this $10 retention plan, and
    > they credited me back my prepaid balance and gave me 3 months free. The
    > $10 includes system access fee and caller id too.

    CallerID? Are you absolutly certain? I've inquired multiple times and
    callerID was definitely not included. TTYL

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 19:18:36 GMT, ebizimage@gmail.com (EB) wrote in

    > Well...actually Fido is now offering this retention plan to prepaid
    > customer. I was on prepaid for a year or so and suddenly Fido called
    > me and ask me if I'm interested to switch to this $10 retention plan,
    > and they credited me back my prepaid balance and gave me 3 months
    > free. The $10 includes system access fee and caller id too.

    System access yes, Caller ID - not - unless they sweetened the
    deal just for you. I got the priviledge of paying $3 for it until
    it went up recently to $4 - just like all post-paid plans.

    robwil@rogers.com (Rob Williams) wrote in message news:<ef99f51a.0407060759.228d3a87@posting.google.com>...

    > Does anyone know if they charge a fee like fido does for switching
    > from a plan to pre-paid? There website is down as I am writting this.

    $50 with a $25 airtime credit

    There is an "emergency plan" on Rogers where it is $10 + SAF for 20
    minutes and 50 cents for each additional. This offer is routinely
    sweetened to $5 + SAF with 40 minutes.

    Yes. They explicitly mentioned to me that the caller id is included
    as well. They said it includes voice mail too so it's basically same
    as my original prepaid. However, they didn't mention the free
    minutes in call forwarding so at one point I was suspecting that they
    replaced my free minutes in call forwarding with the caller id.

    "Dave Null Sr." <lrowoy@ShNotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns951FB16225809lrowoy@66.11.168.198>...
    > On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 19:18:36 GMT, ebizimage@gmail.com (EB) wrote in
    >
    > > Well...actually Fido is now offering this retention plan to prepaid
    > > customer. I was on prepaid for a year or so and suddenly Fido called
    > > me and ask me if I'm interested to switch to this $10 retention plan,
    > > and they credited me back my prepaid balance and gave me 3 months
    > > free. The $10 includes system access fee and caller id too.
    >
    > System access yes, Caller ID - not - unless they sweetened the
    > deal just for you. I got the priviledge of paying $3 for it until
    > it went up recently to $4 - just like all post-paid plans.

Fido Internet Service Providers