your opinions on a new os

bluemoon66

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2003
I am absolutely fed up with win 98se. I was hoping anyone might help me with there opinions. I am running an abit KG7 mobo, 1.4Ghz AMD, 512k pc2100 ram. Windows 98se has gotten to the point where it crashes on a very regular basis (2 or 3 times a day). I have tried fresh installs and i'm just sick of trying to tweak it. Here are my options; getting a free copy of windows 2000 server from a buddy that works on networks or just buying a copy of XP. The fact that win 2000 would be free is nice but i'm going to try not to let it influence my decision. I want something that WORKS! My computer is in my home. Not on a network. I use it for email, office apps and a little gaming. I realize that 2000 server has a lot of features that i'll never use but i just want something reliable. Any opions would be greatly appreciated.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
IMHO, Windows 98 can be a solid OS, as long as the hardware doesn't have any problems, and the core system files are intact. It shouldn't be necessary to spend hours tweaking the OS just to achieve system stability.

The fact that Win98 is crashing regularly on your system indicates that something may be wrong with the hardware or the system configuration; and replacing the operating system with something different at this point may only aggravate or temporarily mask the actual problem. For instance, if your physical memory has sustained some kind of damage, you may find that WinXP is particularly sensitive to these kind of errors, and may not install on the system at all, while Win98 tends to be more forgiving in this area.

Can you be more specific about what is actually happening when the system crashes, such as what program(s) you might be running when this happens, or list in detail any error messages that come up on the display?

In the meanwhile, you might want to start with testing the memory for errors. <A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com" target="_new">Memtest86</A> is a good freeware utility.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
2000 server is very nice and stable, if you want to upgrade to xp wait for microsoft to release SP2.

The Ultimate Video Processor:
GeForceFX + Radeon + Parhelia = "Radeohelia FX"

aryiu

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
The config of your PC is enough for running win2k and xp. In fact, you will feel that your PC is a little bit slower in win2K beacuse xp needs more resource. In my opinion, you can choose windows 2000 pro and install sp2 and wait for sp4 even sp3 is available now, many users said that sp3 has problems which sp2 doesn't have it.

svol

Champion
Me too... WinXP is a real system hog with all it useless services and features, and don't forget the eye-candy.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
I like xp once the services and themes have been disabled. I have found it to be much more stable than win2k, and don't even get me started with windows server 2003 DON'T try to use it, that os has so many problems and security settings are rediculously hard to change. It is most definately not for home computers.

A womans body is a temple built upon a sewer.

chandanarahul

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
I have to agree with a part of ur opinion. WinXP is a lot better than itself when all the bells and whistles are turned off. Atleast it looks decent. But still I consider Win2K to be far more stable compared to Win XP. I haven't got a chance to use Win Server2K3 yet and so I can't comment on it.

svol

Champion
I never got any instabilities in Win2k... but all machines with WinXP I worked on where horrible: slow and unstable.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""PC is a little bit slower in win2K beacuse xp needs more resource."" ... ggggs

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""xp ... I have found it to be <b>much more</b> stable than win2k" ..gg, you are joking, right?

"2003 DON'T ..., that os has so many problems and security settings are rediculously hard to change" .. I think you need to read the manual for that OS first.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You are not suppose to "getting a free copy of windows 2000", it is not polite to say sucha thing in public place.

On the other hand, nobody can beat the price "$fr.ee"

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"all machines with WinXP":

"slow" - in a month of use, or so, very true.
"unstable" - very seldom case.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You're picking on me again, aren't you? Huh, huh ... aren't you?

Guess I'll just go eat worms.

:lol:

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

svol

Champion
Jeez seems like we got a little spammer here.

As for the unstability... I must be one of the rare persons on Earth that have encountered 3 WinXP systems which where all 3 unstable. And only in 1 of those cases was it also due to hardware unstability.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Naah, just was in a good mood to do some sarcastic "spammer" remarks, gg.

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
And if there's nothing else installed rather than just the OS itself.

<i>
"I'll Take A Quiet Life
-Handshake to Carbon Monoxide- Th.Yo."
</i>