Having my ipod plugged in at startup causes windows problems

nonxcarbonx

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
If my ipod touch is plugged into the usb port on startup, windows 7 starts in 800x600 resolution (not the normal 1900x1080) and I get a message that my graphics driver wasn't found. If I restart and disconnect the ipod (it's normal if the usb is connected ubut the ipod is not attached) then everything is back to normal. Someone may say "disconnect your ipod at startup then" but this is still a problem that I'd like to fix.

I'm running windows 7 home premium with all available updates, and my itunes and ipod are all up to date. As far as startup programs go, no apple related program is set in msconfig to begin on startup. however, I think the computer starts configuring the device immediately if it detects a usb device.

I think there are many issues caused by leaving an iPod plugged in during boot up, some systems don't even boot till the iPod is unplugged.

If you are hoping to get a solution from Apple, good luck. Their reply to any issues is to first state "There is no issue", then blame the user for using their product, then delete all references to the failure off the face of the earth, then come up with a new product that fixes some things and breaks others while remaining basically the same as the old generation.

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

Have you by chance ensured that your chipset drivers are installed and up to date? What type of iPod do you have?

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

nonxcarbonx

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I did a format & reinstall of windows, and I re-downloaded the latest Intel chipset drivers. Upon further system usage however, it seems that this problem is not limited to the ipod; having a usb connected or even the ipod connector w/o the ipod also causes the same problem. Strangely enough, having the mouse and keyboard usbs connected doesn't cause any issues.