How to remove a stick-on CPO without removing the paint be..

I just picked up a pretty nice (converted) Missile Command cab over the
weekend. (Thanks Larry!!!) Luckily, whoever converted it didn't do a
half-bad job. The original marquee was in pretty good shape once I
removed the pop-riveted piece of marquee over it. The monitor glass is
in perfect shape, with a few scraps of instruction cards scotch taped
over it. the side art wasn't tampered with at all.

I'm convinced I can make the control panel look pretty good too, but
I'll need to remove the adhesive laminate CPO that is currently stuck
to it first.

I tried just peeling it up, but it is brittle and just flakes apart
when I do that. (Curiously though, there are a few places that had
stickers over the CPO, and under the stickers the overlay is still soft
and peelable!)

So here's what I'm thinking. My objective is to get rid of the plastic
laminate WITHOUT removing the missile command paint under it. So I
can't use a screwdriver, putty knife, etc. I'm thinking I should take
everything out of the metal CP, and try to gently heat it up by passing
a torch across the back of it. Has anyone tried this? Is there a
better method I should try first? (heat gun, etc?) I had the idea of
just putting it out in the hot sun for a few hours to see if it would
soften up, but our two days of hot weather for the month are gone now,
and it is back to 40s-50s :)

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

try using a heat gun on the old overlay to soften it up first and then pull
it a little to see if it is working without removing the paint.
<micrologix1500@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I just picked up a pretty nice (converted) Missile Command cab over the
> weekend. (Thanks Larry!!!) Luckily, whoever converted it didn't do a
> half-bad job. The original marquee was in pretty good shape once I
> removed the pop-riveted piece of marquee over it. The monitor glass is
> in perfect shape, with a few scraps of instruction cards scotch taped
> over it. the side art wasn't tampered with at all.
>
> I'm convinced I can make the control panel look pretty good too, but
> I'll need to remove the adhesive laminate CPO that is currently stuck
> to it first.
>
> I tried just peeling it up, but it is brittle and just flakes apart
> when I do that. (Curiously though, there are a few places that had
> stickers over the CPO, and under the stickers the overlay is still soft
> and peelable!)
>
> So here's what I'm thinking. My objective is to get rid of the plastic
> laminate WITHOUT removing the missile command paint under it. So I
> can't use a screwdriver, putty knife, etc. I'm thinking I should take
> everything out of the metal CP, and try to gently heat it up by passing
> a torch across the back of it. Has anyone tried this? Is there a
> better method I should try first? (heat gun, etc?) I had the idea of
> just putting it out in the hot sun for a few hours to see if it would
> soften up, but our two days of hot weather for the month are gone now,
> and it is back to 40s-50s :)

Sticker Shock. Removes bumper stickers from cars so it's safe for paint.
Autozone. Takes a bit if the glue is dry sometimes, will work just let it
sit a bit.

<micrologix1500@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I'm convinced I can make the control panel look pretty good too, but
> I'll need to remove the adhesive laminate CPO that is currently stuck
> to it first.

throw it on the grill...

<micrologix1500@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just picked up a pretty nice (converted) Missile Command cab over the
> weekend. (Thanks Larry!!!) Luckily, whoever converted it didn't do a
> half-bad job. The original marquee was in pretty good shape once I
> removed the pop-riveted piece of marquee over it. The monitor glass is
> in perfect shape, with a few scraps of instruction cards scotch taped
> over it. the side art wasn't tampered with at all.
>
> I'm convinced I can make the control panel look pretty good too, but
> I'll need to remove the adhesive laminate CPO that is currently stuck
> to it first.
>
> I tried just peeling it up, but it is brittle and just flakes apart
> when I do that. (Curiously though, there are a few places that had
> stickers over the CPO, and under the stickers the overlay is still soft
> and peelable!)
>
> So here's what I'm thinking. My objective is to get rid of the plastic
> laminate WITHOUT removing the missile command paint under it. So I
> can't use a screwdriver, putty knife, etc. I'm thinking I should take
> everything out of the metal CP, and try to gently heat it up by passing
> a torch across the back of it. Has anyone tried this? Is there a
> better method I should try first? (heat gun, etc?) I had the idea of
> just putting it out in the hot sun for a few hours to see if it would
> soften up, but our two days of hot weather for the month are gone now,
> and it is back to 40s-50s :)

RECAP: Have a missile command CP with a conversion overlay stuck to
it. Glue is real aggressive and overlay crumbles into bits, doesn't
peel.

CONCLUSION: Re-thought the idea of using a torch. Seemed too
aggressive. Looked around for an actual heat gun but couldn't find
one. Tried hairdryer.. Didn't help much, if at all. What worked was
an old space heater, the kind that look like they'd start a fire in a
minute and are probably banned now :) I just laid the CP in front of
the heating element, overlay forward. The key is to get it hot.. REAL
HOT. The atari paint (maybe its powdercoat?) didn't seem to be
affected the slightest bit by the heat. The overlay though, although
stubborn, did chip and peel away when heated. I wasn't sure exactly
how hot to make it, but let me just say that you couldn't pick it up
with your bare hands :) Now all I need to figure out is how to
tastefully deal with the extra pushbutton holes that were cut out..

TRENDING THREADS