Windows CD Burning woes :S

3 questions:

1) I've only got around 200MB free space on my C:\ and I really cannot free
anymore up. However I've got 3 GB free space in my D:\ . I do not have time
to uninstall / reinstall things just to free up space in my C:\ .

I want to CD burn using Windows CD Burning. I notice that when one drags
files into their CD-R drive it really gets copied into a folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\CDBurning (or something)

Is there anyway to tell Windows that you want to use another folder, like
D:\ for CD Burning temp folder?

2) Is there any way I can move a program folder say, C:\Program Files\WinZip
or C:\Program Files\Adobe into D:\Program Files and have Windows
intelligently set/update all the registry configuration associated with that
program? etc.

Kevin

There is no reliable way to do this and in any case, re-installing programs
does not take long..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

KevinGPO wrote:
> 3 questions:
>
> 1) I've only got around 200MB free space on my C:\ and I really
> cannot free anymore up. However I've got 3 GB free space in my D:\ .
> I do not have time to uninstall / reinstall things just to free up
> space in my C:\ .
>
> I want to CD burn using Windows CD Burning. I notice that when one
> drags files into their CD-R drive it really gets copied into a folder:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\CDBurning (or
> something)
>
> Is there anyway to tell Windows that you want to use another folder,
> like
> D:\ for CD Burning temp folder?
>

> 2) Is there any way I can move a program folder say, C:\Program
> Files\WinZip or C:\Program Files\Adobe into D:\Program Files and have
> Windows intelligently set/update all the registry configuration
> associated with that program? etc.

Anyone else notice that 3 is equal to 2 now?

Anyway...

1) I believe TweakUI from Microsoft (PowerToys for XP) will do it.
Otherwise:
http://www.tweakxp.com/article139992.aspx

2) No - Windows is not the MacOS. Uninstall and Reinstall pointing to the
new location.

Free up space on your C...
- Use Disk Cleanup from Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> System
Tools

How to use Disk Cleanup
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

That should help you clear out Temporary and log files as well as (under
More Options) clear out your System Restore of all but the latest as well as
uninstall unused applications and the likes. One stop cleanup...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Bud

"KevinGPO" <KevinGPO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>3 questions:
>
> 1) I've only got around 200MB free space on my C:\ and I really cannot
> free
> anymore up. However I've got 3 GB free space in my D:\ . I do not have
> time
> to uninstall / reinstall things just to free up space in my C:\ .
>
> I want to CD burn using Windows CD Burning. I notice that when one drags
> files into their CD-R drive it really gets copied into a folder:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\CDBurning (or
> something)
>
> Is there anyway to tell Windows that you want to use another folder, like
> D:\ for CD Burning temp folder?
>

> 2) Is there any way I can move a program folder say, C:\Program
> Files\WinZip
> or C:\Program Files\Adobe into D:\Program Files and have Windows
> intelligently set/update all the registry configuration associated with
> that
> program? etc.

(pasted from, http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php)
you can change the location of the "staging area" for files awaiting burning
by using TweakUI for Windows XP (part of the Windows XP PowerToys). In its
My Computer | Special Folders section is an entry for the CD Burning folder.
Set it to whatever location you like. (If the location is on an NTFS
partition, its Security must be set to provide 'Full Control' for
Administrators, Creator Owner, and SYSTEM.)

> Kevin
>
> There is no reliable way to do this and in any case, re-installing
> programs does not take long..

Nope. Not possible on my P2 333MHz laptop which is like dying. And I don't
have time.

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote

Kevin C. wrote:
> Nope. Not possible on my P2 333MHz laptop which is like dying. And I
> don't have time.

- You are trying to fix software locations on a dying machine (hardware-wise
I assume)?
Is it just the drive that is dying and you are replacing that?
- Reinstalling and moving the applications would likely take the same amount
of time.
- If you are replacing some dying component on the system, possibly the one
component would cost as much as a better (albeit inexpensive) system?

Will you have more time when it completely dies with all your stuff on it?
heh

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

None

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002

Re your second query.

Whats so difficult about uninstalling the programs and then reinstalling
them on drive D: ?