Cannot print after XP repaired clusters/files

After coming out of "standby" mode, I was experiencing problems and had to
restart. Upon restart, the computer went through the "scandisk" equivalent
and repaired some files/clusters (I cannot remember which files).

Now I cannot print from IExplorer or Adobe Acrobat (not sure which other
apps).

In IExpolorer, I can preview, but it crashes when I try to print.

With Acrobat, the app closes when I select print.

I did a system restore, however that did not help. I search MSKB and other
internet sites, but could not find a solution.

Is there anywhere that I can see the files that were afected? How can I
resolve the problem?

TIA,
Nigel

Dell Latitude C600
Pentium 3
XP SP2
4 answers Last reply
More about cannot print repaired clusters files

    I would start by removing and reinstalling the printer driver(s). It may
    have been corrupted by the disk errors.
    --

    "andreN" <andreN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After coming out of "standby" mode, I was experiencing problems and had to
    > restart. Upon restart, the computer went through the "scandisk" equivalent
    > and repaired some files/clusters (I cannot remember which files).
    >
    > Now I cannot print from IExplorer or Adobe Acrobat (not sure which other
    > apps).
    >
    > In IExpolorer, I can preview, but it crashes when I try to print.
    >
    > With Acrobat, the app closes when I select print.
    >
    > I did a system restore, however that did not help. I search MSKB and other
    > internet sites, but could not find a solution.
    >
    > Is there anywhere that I can see the files that were afected? How can I
    > resolve the problem?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Nigel
    >
    > Dell Latitude C600
    > Pentium 3
    > XP SP2

    I agree. When Antivirus or scandisc programs 'repair' something, they
    simple get rid of the cluster checksum errors. Thats doesnt mean the
    repairing action sticks the right hexadecimal into the right bytes to
    make the program/driver/data file work again. I would remove and
    reinstall the printers drivers.

    --
    guestfromhell
    guestfromhell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12490

    Thanks for the replies. I did try removing and reinstalling the printer
    drivers, but that did not work. Eventually I did a "repair" install of XP and
    now everything works as it should.

    The reinstall was not very painfull (it took 1/2 hour).

    Thanks
    again,

    "guestfromhell" wrote:

    > I agree. When Antivirus or scandisc programs 'repair' something, they
    > simple get rid of the cluster checksum errors. Thats doesnt mean the
    > repairing action sticks the right hexadecimal into the right bytes to
    > make the program/driver/data file work again. I would remove and
    > reinstall the printers drivers.
    >

    > --
    > guestfromhell
    > guestfromhell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12490
    > View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819070842

    Your welcome. (Don't forget to reinstall all the critical updates -
    necessary after a repair install and usually the most time consuming part.)
    --

    > Thanks for the replies. I did try removing and reinstalling the printer
    > drivers, but that did not work. Eventually I did a "repair" install of XP
    > and
    > now everything works as it should.
    >
    > The reinstall was not very painfull (it took 1/2 hour).
    >
    > Thanks
    > again,
    >

    > "guestfromhell" wrote:
    >

    >> I agree. When Antivirus or scandisc programs 'repair' something, they
    >> simple get rid of the cluster checksum errors. Thats doesnt mean the
    >> repairing action sticks the right hexadecimal into the right bytes to
    >> make the program/driver/data file work again. I would remove and
    >> reinstall the printers drivers.
    >>

    >> --
    >> guestfromhell
    >> guestfromhell's Profile: