Is it possible to restore your start menu?

I was stupid (new user in XP) and went around deleting start menu shortcuts,
and blam! All of a sudden I realize that I don't have access to some basic
stuff. I thought I was deleting stuff for everyone BUT me, but I deleted
stuff for everyone... INCLUDING me. Tres frustrating. I know I can go through
and restore all the shortcust manually, but I'd rather not. That could take
some time. Just thoguth I'd check here to see if y'all knew something about
restoring the All Users Start Menu folder to whatever it should be... Cheers!

XP Gorillaz Fan wrote:
> I was stupid (new user in XP) and went around deleting start menu
> shortcuts, and blam! All of a sudden I realize that I don't have
> access to some basic stuff. I thought I was deleting stuff for
> everyone BUT me, but I deleted stuff for everyone... INCLUDING me.
> Tres frustrating. I know I can go through and restore all the
> shortcust manually, but I'd rather not. That could take some time.
> Just thoguth I'd check here to see if y'all knew something about
> restoring the All Users Start Menu folder to whatever it should be...

Unless you backed up the start menu area before you started deleting (just
in case something bad happened) - then I do not believe there is an easy way
for you to restore these items.

From now on, when deleting things from start menus, you may want to do it
"at the source" and go into C:\Documents and Settings\username... There you
can delete items just for that particular username.. If there is something
you want on everyone BUT your start menu and it is in the all users start
menu, simply copy it to each of the other users start menus and delete it
from all users afterwards.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Thanks guys, I didn't think there was, I just didn't think it hurt to check!
Perciate it!

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> XP Gorillaz Fan wrote:
> > I was stupid (new user in XP) and went around deleting start menu
> > shortcuts, and blam! All of a sudden I realize that I don't have
> > access to some basic stuff. I thought I was deleting stuff for
> > everyone BUT me, but I deleted stuff for everyone... INCLUDING me.
> > Tres frustrating. I know I can go through and restore all the
> > shortcust manually, but I'd rather not. That could take some time.
> > Just thoguth I'd check here to see if y'all knew something about
> > restoring the All Users Start Menu folder to whatever it should be...
>
> Unless you backed up the start menu area before you started deleting (just
> in case something bad happened) - then I do not believe there is an easy way
> for you to restore these items.
>
> From now on, when deleting things from start menus, you may want to do it
> "at the source" and go into C:\Documents and Settings\username... There you
> can delete items just for that particular username.. If there is something
> you want on everyone BUT your start menu and it is in the all users start
> menu, simply copy it to each of the other users start menus and delete it
> from all users afterwards.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

It "should" be whatever was placed in there by the install programs or by
you. Reinstall the programs and reinstall any shortcuts you manually placed
there. There is no automatic way to rebuild, except maybe by "system
restore".

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"XP Gorillaz Fan" <XP Gorillaz Fan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:B1D41ED6-CDAE-44D2-BC99-FBD667AE9890@microsoft.com...
>I was stupid (new user in XP) and went around deleting start menu
>shortcuts,
> and blam! All of a sudden I realize that I don't have access to some basic
> stuff. I thought I was deleting stuff for everyone BUT me, but I deleted
> stuff for everyone... INCLUDING me. Tres frustrating. I know I can go
> through
> and restore all the shortcust manually, but I'd rather not. That could
> take
> some time. Just thoguth I'd check here to see if y'all knew something
> about
> restoring the All Users Start Menu folder to whatever it should be...
> Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS