windows xp will not start

opening gets to the windows logo with the progress bar continually moving but
gets no further. i have tried last known good config as well as system
restoring to a number of dates. this happened once before and it did it for a
week then BAM! it worked fine again, out of no where. please help im sick of
using safe mode all the time. thanx
2 answers Last reply
More about windows start

    Do a Repair, or 'upgrade' setup of XP.

    If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
    a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
    875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350 How to
    Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    --

    Mark L. Ferguson
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "mitten" <mitten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE499EB5-731E-46CD-AC8A-57315A25DF81@microsoft.com...
    > opening gets to the windows logo with the progress bar continually moving but
    > gets no further. i have tried last known good config as well as system
    > restoring to a number of dates. this happened once before and it did it for a
    > week then BAM! it worked fine again, out of no where. please help im sick of
    > using safe mode all the time. thanx

    thanks Mr. Ferguson,
    that sounds like it would work but i have a problem. i bought this comp
    years ago and have moved twice and i cant find my XP disc anywhere. do i have
    any options?

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > Do a Repair, or 'upgrade' setup of XP.
    >
    > If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
    > a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
    > 875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350 How to
    > Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "mitten" <mitten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE499EB5-731E-46CD-AC8A-57315A25DF81@microsoft.com...
    > > opening gets to the windows logo with the progress bar continually moving but
    > > gets no further. i have tried last known good config as well as system
    > > restoring to a number of dates. this happened once before and it did it for a
    > > week then BAM! it worked fine again, out of no where. please help im sick of
    > > using safe mode all the time. thanx

Microsoft Windows XP