UnBlock FIles

May 11, 2005 4:12:02 PM

I have 2 computers, brand new s/b identical.

If I create a ZIP from an application(it's backup process) on one machine
everything is fine. I can open it ...

From the other machine when I go to open it it shoes nothing.
If I attempt to extract from it, it says the file is blocked, go to the file
properties, general and Unblock.
But there is no option.

I can't figure this one out, and it's driving me crazy.

Note the Zip file is
DIR, DIR, DBFs etc it's a Delphi app.

KlK, MCSE

More about : unblock files

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 11:25:11 AM

Kevin,

The same problem was posted by someone in XP_General groups last week, and
the advice was to use a third-party zip handler (such as WinZip) as a
workaround. If you don't prefer that, can you provide more information on
this regard?

From where was the Zip file downloaded? Try downloading and saving to a
FAT32 partition directly. Additionally, a screenshot might help me.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"KevinK" <KevinK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 computers, brand new s/b identical.
>
> If I create a ZIP from an application(it's backup process) on one machine
> everything is fine. I can open it ...
>
> From the other machine when I go to open it it shoes nothing.
> If I attempt to extract from it, it says the file is blocked, go to the
> file
> properties, general and Unblock.
> But there is no option.
>
> I can't figure this one out, and it's driving me crazy.
>
> Note the Zip file is
> DIR, DIR, DBFs etc it's a Delphi app.
>
> KlK, MCSE

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 11:25:12 AM

Yes I read those posts.

The file is NOT downloaded, it is created by an application that runs on the
workstation. Actually the DB lives on wkstn 1, this problem is with Wrkstn 2
which reads the DB on wrkstn 1.

Again, "hopefully" identical workstations, wrkstn 1 creates the .ZIP and
everything is OK, can view and extract from it. Wkstn 2 creates the ZIP file
but provides blank screens when viewing and the message about unblocking when
attempting to extract from it.

It's at a customer, I'll be back there next week.

I would like to know about this "Unblock" setting referenced on the Generals
tab of file properties, here and MSKB, that I don't see anywhere.

KlK, MCSE

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> The same problem was posted by someone in XP_General groups last week, and
> the advice was to use a third-party zip handler (such as WinZip) as a
> workaround. If you don't prefer that, can you provide more information on
> this regard?
>
> From where was the Zip file downloaded? Try downloading and saving to a
> FAT32 partition directly. Additionally, a screenshot might help me.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "KevinK" <KevinK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have 2 computers, brand new s/b identical.
> >
> > If I create a ZIP from an application(it's backup process) on one machine
> > everything is fine. I can open it ...
> >
> > From the other machine when I go to open it it shoes nothing.
> > If I attempt to extract from it, it says the file is blocked, go to the
> > file
> > properties, general and Unblock.
> > But there is no option.
> >
> > I can't figure this one out, and it's driving me crazy.
> >
> > Note the Zip file is
> > DIR, DIR, DBFs etc it's a Delphi app.
> >
> > KlK, MCSE

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 11:25:13 AM

Read that too, but #2. In the General tab, click Unblock.

I don't find Unblock on either of those machines, or any of mine for that
matter.

All are XP SP2, or Win2003

KlK, MCSE

"KevinK" wrote:

> Yes I read those posts.
>
> The file is NOT downloaded, it is created by an application that runs on the
> workstation. Actually the DB lives on wkstn 1, this problem is with Wrkstn 2
> which reads the DB on wrkstn 1.
>
> Again, "hopefully" identical workstations, wrkstn 1 creates the .ZIP and
> everything is OK, can view and extract from it. Wkstn 2 creates the ZIP file
> but provides blank screens when viewing and the message about unblocking when
> attempting to extract from it.
>
> It's at a customer, I'll be back there next week.
>
> I would like to know about this "Unblock" setting referenced on the Generals
> tab of file properties, here and MSKB, that I don't see anywhere.
>
> KlK, MCSE
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > Kevin,
> >
> > The same problem was posted by someone in XP_General groups last week, and
> > the advice was to use a third-party zip handler (such as WinZip) as a
> > workaround. If you don't prefer that, can you provide more information on
> > this regard?
> >
> > From where was the Zip file downloaded? Try downloading and saving to a
> > FAT32 partition directly. Additionally, a screenshot might help me.
> >
> > --
> > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP Shell/User
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >

> > "KevinK" <KevinK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have 2 computers, brand new s/b identical.
> > >
> > > If I create a ZIP from an application(it's backup process) on one machine
> > > everything is fine. I can open it ...
> > >
> > > From the other machine when I go to open it it shoes nothing.
> > > If I attempt to extract from it, it says the file is blocked, go to the
> > > file
> > > properties, general and Unblock.
> > > But there is no option.
> > >
> > > I can't figure this one out, and it's driving me crazy.
> > >
> > > Note the Zip file is
> > > DIR, DIR, DBFs etc it's a Delphi app.
> > >
> > > KlK, MCSE

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 12:01:50 PM

HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421

--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"KevinK" <KevinK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27B385D7-0FC9-4DED-9CBB-8579823E6626@microsoft.com...
>I have 2 computers, brand new s/b identical.
>
> If I create a ZIP from an application(it's backup process) on one machine
> everything is fine. I can open it ...
>
> From the other machine when I go to open it it shoes nothing.
> If I attempt to extract from it, it says the file is blocked, go to the file
> properties, general and Unblock.
> But there is no option.
>
> I can't figure this one out, and it's driving me crazy.
>
> Note the Zip file is
> DIR, DIR, DBFs etc it's a Delphi app.
>
> KlK, MCSE

Anonymous