UnBlock FIles

I have 2 computers, brand new s/b identical.

If I create a ZIP from an application(it's backup process) on one machine
everything is fine. I can open it ...

From the other machine when I go to open it it shoes nothing.
If I attempt to extract from it, it says the file is blocked, go to the file
properties, general and Unblock.
But there is no option.

I can't figure this one out, and it's driving me crazy.

Note the Zip file is
DIR, DIR, DBFs etc it's a Delphi app.

KlK, MCSE
5 answers Last reply
More about unblock files

    Kevin,

    The same problem was posted by someone in XP_General groups last week, and
    the advice was to use a third-party zip handler (such as WinZip) as a
    workaround. If you don't prefer that, can you provide more information on
    this regard?

    From where was the Zip file downloaded? Try downloading and saving to a
    FAT32 partition directly. Additionally, a screenshot might help me.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "KevinK" <KevinK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have 2 computers, brand new s/b identical.
    >
    > If I create a ZIP from an application(it's backup process) on one machine
    > everything is fine. I can open it ...
    >
    > From the other machine when I go to open it it shoes nothing.
    > If I attempt to extract from it, it says the file is blocked, go to the
    > file
    > properties, general and Unblock.
    > But there is no option.
    >
    > I can't figure this one out, and it's driving me crazy.
    >
    > Note the Zip file is
    > DIR, DIR, DBFs etc it's a Delphi app.
    >
    > KlK, MCSE

    Yes I read those posts.

    The file is NOT downloaded, it is created by an application that runs on the
    workstation. Actually the DB lives on wkstn 1, this problem is with Wrkstn 2
    which reads the DB on wrkstn 1.

    Again, "hopefully" identical workstations, wrkstn 1 creates the .ZIP and
    everything is OK, can view and extract from it. Wkstn 2 creates the ZIP file
    but provides blank screens when viewing and the message about unblocking when
    attempting to extract from it.

    It's at a customer, I'll be back there next week.

    I would like to know about this "Unblock" setting referenced on the Generals
    tab of file properties, here and MSKB, that I don't see anywhere.

    KlK, MCSE

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Kevin,
    >
    > The same problem was posted by someone in XP_General groups last week, and
    > the advice was to use a third-party zip handler (such as WinZip) as a
    > workaround. If you don't prefer that, can you provide more information on
    > this regard?
    >
    > From where was the Zip file downloaded? Try downloading and saving to a
    > FAT32 partition directly. Additionally, a screenshot might help me.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "KevinK" <KevinK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have 2 computers, brand new s/b identical.
    > >
    > > If I create a ZIP from an application(it's backup process) on one machine
    > > everything is fine. I can open it ...
    > >
    > > From the other machine when I go to open it it shoes nothing.
    > > If I attempt to extract from it, it says the file is blocked, go to the
    > > file
    > > properties, general and Unblock.
    > > But there is no option.
    > >
    > > I can't figure this one out, and it's driving me crazy.
    > >
    > > Note the Zip file is
    > > DIR, DIR, DBFs etc it's a Delphi app.
    > >
    > > KlK, MCSE

    Read that too, but #2. In the General tab, click Unblock.

    I don't find Unblock on either of those machines, or any of mine for that
    matter.

    All are XP SP2, or Win2003

    KlK, MCSE

    HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "KevinK" <KevinK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27B385D7-0FC9-4DED-9CBB-8579823E6626@microsoft.com...
    >I have 2 computers, brand new s/b identical.
    >
    > If I create a ZIP from an application(it's backup process) on one machine
    > everything is fine. I can open it ...
    >
    > From the other machine when I go to open it it shoes nothing.
    > If I attempt to extract from it, it says the file is blocked, go to the file
    > properties, general and Unblock.
    > But there is no option.
    >
    > I can't figure this one out, and it's driving me crazy.
    >
    > Note the Zip file is
    > DIR, DIR, DBFs etc it's a Delphi app.
    >
    > KlK, MCSE

    About the Unblock option:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883260

    --

    > Yes I read those posts.
    >
    > The file is NOT downloaded, it is created by an application that runs on
    > the
    > workstation. Actually the DB lives on wkstn 1, this problem is with
    > Wrkstn 2
    > which reads the DB on wrkstn 1.
    >
    > Again, "hopefully" identical workstations, wrkstn 1 creates the .ZIP and
    > everything is OK, can view and extract from it. Wkstn 2 creates the ZIP
    > file
    > but provides blank screens when viewing and the message about unblocking
    > when
    > attempting to extract from it.
    >
    > It's at a customer, I'll be back there next week.
    >
    > I would like to know about this "Unblock" setting referenced on the
    > Generals
    > tab of file properties, here and MSKB, that I don't see anywhere.
    >
    > KlK, MCSE
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Kevin,
    >>
    >> The same problem was posted by someone in XP_General groups last week,
    >> and
    >> the advice was to use a third-party zip handler (such as WinZip) as a
    >> workaround. If you don't prefer that, can you provide more information on
    >> this regard?
    >>
    >> From where was the Zip file downloaded? Try downloading and saving to a
    >> FAT32 partition directly. Additionally, a screenshot might help me.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "KevinK" <KevinK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have 2 computers, brand new s/b identical.
    >> >
    >> > If I create a ZIP from an application(it's backup process) on one
    >> > machine
    >> > everything is fine. I can open it ...
    >> >
    >> > From the other machine when I go to open it it shoes nothing.
    >> > If I attempt to extract from it, it says the file is blocked, go to the
    >> > file
    >> > properties, general and Unblock.
    >> > But there is no option.
    >> >
    >> > I can't figure this one out, and it's driving me crazy.
    >> >
    >> > Note the Zip file is
    >> > DIR, DIR, DBFs etc it's a Delphi app.
    >> >
    >> > KlK, MCSE

Windows XP