netsvcs disappeared from my XP - where can I get a copy?

At some unknown time, netsvcs disappeared from my XP Home SP2 machine.

I only found out when I tried to start BIT service and it failed because it
could not find netsvcs.

I have a DELL which came with a recovery disk, not a m'soft XP disk.

Is there any way I can get a copy of the file.

Without it I can't automate many downloads, including Windows Update.
2 answers Last reply
More about netsvcs disappeared copy

    I have XP Pro and cannot find a file of that name. I checked services and
    there is no BIT service. If you don't know what this service is I would
    suggest running Adaware or Spybot.

    Neil
    "HarryMangurian" <HarryMangurian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > At some unknown time, netsvcs disappeared from my XP Home SP2 machine.
    >
    > I only found out when I tried to start BIT service and it failed because
    > it
    > could not find netsvcs.
    >
    > I have a DELL which came with a recovery disk, not a m'soft XP disk.
    >
    > Is there any way I can get a copy of the file.
    >
    > Without it I can't automate many downloads, including Windows Update.

    fwiw
    BITS starts fine here on xp-home with sp2 and it does not have file name
    netsvcs

    "HarryMangurian" <HarryMangurian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > At some unknown time, netsvcs disappeared from my XP Home SP2 machine.
    >
    > I only found out when I tried to start BIT service and it failed because
    > it
    > could not find netsvcs.
    >
    > I have a DELL which came with a recovery disk, not a m'soft XP disk.
    >
    > Is there any way I can get a copy of the file.
    >
    > Without it I can't automate many downloads, including Windows Update.

Recovery Disk Support Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP