Registry Recovery over and over again

Every time my system starts, I get a "Registry Recovery" monologue box. It
says that the registry was recovered successfully, but the same thing
happens every time I boot. The obvious conclusion is that something is
damaging the registry while the system is running or shutting down.

I uninstalled everything I've installed lately, without any results. I've
also used MSCONFIG to boot with minimal services, again without any change.

The only error in the event viewer (system log) is a failure of the CAE
Server service to start due to a missing file. I suspect that's a separate
issue, since disabling the service didn't fix the problem. (I don't know
what the CAE Server service is, by the way.)

How do I figure out what part of the registry is damaged? How do I make this
problem go away?

The system seems to run just fine, otherwise.

--
Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
http://www.writebynight.com
e-card JerryS https://ecardfile.com/

Jerry Schwartz wrote:
> Every time my system starts, I get a "Registry Recovery" monologue
> box. It says that the registry was recovered successfully, but the
> same thing happens every time I boot. The obvious conclusion is that
> something is damaging the registry while the system is running or
> shutting down.
>
> I uninstalled everything I've installed lately, without any results.
> I've also used MSCONFIG to boot with minimal services, again without
> any change.
>
> The only error in the event viewer (system log) is a failure of the
> CAE Server service to start due to a missing file. I suspect that's a
> separate issue, since disabling the service didn't fix the problem.
> (I don't know what the CAE Server service is, by the way.)
>
> How do I figure out what part of the registry is damaged? How do I
> make this problem go away?
>
> The system seems to run just fine, otherwise.

Jerry,
Would you post back with the "verbatim" text of that message.
You say you have minimized the Services in MSCOFIG. Have you also looked at the programs listed in the "Startup" tab?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

When the system boots, a dialogue box appears that says

"One of the files containing the system's Registry had to be recovered by
use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful."

In MSCONFIG, I tried the option "Diagnostic Startup." That turns off just
about everything, including startup items, but it didn't affect this
problem.

--

"Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
Jerry Schwartz wrote:
> Every time my system starts, I get a "Registry Recovery" monologue
> box. It says that the registry was recovered successfully, but the
> same thing happens every time I boot. The obvious conclusion is that
> something is damaging the registry while the system is running or
> shutting down.
>
> I uninstalled everything I've installed lately, without any results.
> I've also used MSCONFIG to boot with minimal services, again without
> any change.
>
> The only error in the event viewer (system log) is a failure of the
> CAE Server service to start due to a missing file. I suspect that's a
> separate issue, since disabling the service didn't fix the problem.
> (I don't know what the CAE Server service is, by the way.)
>
> How do I figure out what part of the registry is damaged? How do I
> make this problem go away?
>
> The system seems to run just fine, otherwise.

Jerry,
Would you post back with the "verbatim" text of that message.
You say you have minimized the Services in MSCOFIG. Have you also looked at
the programs listed in the "Startup" tab?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----

By the way, the informational message in the system log is

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 5/12/2005
Time: 10:42:49 AM
User: N/A
Computer: MAILHUB
Application popup: Windows - Registry Recovery : One of the files containing
the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate
copy. The recovery was successful.

Unfortunately, if that link is supposed to give me more information it isn't
succeeding. I don't know what driver or application might be causing the
problem. I initially suspected the CAE Server service, whose executable is
in fact missing, but disabling the service didn't make the popup go away.

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 26
Source: Application Popup
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: STATUS_LOG_HARD_ERROR
Message: Application popup: %1 : %2

Explanation
The program could not load a driver because the program user doesn't
have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive is
missing or corrupt.

User Action
To correct this problem:

a.. Ensure that the program user has sufficient privileges to access
the directory in which the driver is installed.
b.. Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct
location.
If these solutions do not work, contact Product Support Services.

--

Jerry Schwartz wrote:
> Every time my system starts, I get a "Registry Recovery" monologue
> box. It says that the registry was recovered successfully, but the
> same thing happens every time I boot. The obvious conclusion is that
> something is damaging the registry while the system is running or
> shutting down.
>
> I uninstalled everything I've installed lately, without any results.
> I've also used MSCONFIG to boot with minimal services, again without
> any change.
>
> The only error in the event viewer (system log) is a failure of the
> CAE Server service to start due to a missing file. I suspect that's a
> separate issue, since disabling the service didn't fix the problem.
> (I don't know what the CAE Server service is, by the way.)
>
> How do I figure out what part of the registry is damaged? How do I
> make this problem go away?
>
> The system seems to run just fine, otherwise.

Jerry,
Would you post back with the "verbatim" text of that message.
You say you have minimized the Services in MSCOFIG. Have you also looked at
the programs listed in the "Startup" tab?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----

frodo

does this occur only after a shutdown and re-powering, or after a restart
too?

If after a shutdown only, it would appear that the power is going off
before the HD has had a chance to write tha last bit of data; try turning
off "write behind caching" in Device Manager | Disk Drive | Properties |
Advanced. Also, look in the event log for any info about the last
shutdown, like a process that has prevented the reg/profile from
unloading.

Jerry Schwartz wrote:
> By the way, the informational message in the system log is
>
> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: Application Popup
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 26
> Date: 5/12/2005
> Time: 10:42:49 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: MAILHUB
> Application popup: Windows - Registry Recovery : One of the files
> containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a
> log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.

> Unfortunately, if that link is supposed to give me more information
> it isn't succeeding. I don't know what driver or application might be
> causing the problem. I initially suspected the CAE Server service,
> whose executable is in fact missing, but disabling the service didn't
> make the popup go away.
>
> Details
> Product: Windows Operating System
> ID: 26
> Source: Application Popup
> Version: 5.2
> Symbolic Name: STATUS_LOG_HARD_ERROR
> Message: Application popup: %1 : %2
>
> Explanation
> The program could not load a driver because the program user
> doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because
> the drive is missing or corrupt.
>

> User Action
> To correct this problem:
>
> a.. Ensure that the program user has sufficient privileges to
> access the directory in which the driver is installed.
> b.. Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct
> location.
> If these solutions do not work, contact Product Support Services.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Jerry Schwartz
> http://www.writebynight.com
> e-card JerryS https://ecardfile.com/

Jerry,
Is this Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2?
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

SP2, since a long time ago.

--

Jerry Schwartz wrote:
> By the way, the informational message in the system log is
>
> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: Application Popup
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 26
> Date: 5/12/2005
> Time: 10:42:49 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: MAILHUB
> Application popup: Windows - Registry Recovery : One of the files
> containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a
> log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.

> Unfortunately, if that link is supposed to give me more information
> it isn't succeeding. I don't know what driver or application might be
> causing the problem. I initially suspected the CAE Server service,
> whose executable is in fact missing, but disabling the service didn't
> make the popup go away.
>
> Details
> Product: Windows Operating System
> ID: 26
> Source: Application Popup
> Version: 5.2
> Symbolic Name: STATUS_LOG_HARD_ERROR
> Message: Application popup: %1 : %2
>
> Explanation
> The program could not load a driver because the program user
> doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because
> the drive is missing or corrupt.
>

> User Action
> To correct this problem:
>
> a.. Ensure that the program user has sufficient privileges to
> access the directory in which the driver is installed.
> b.. Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct
> location.
> If these solutions do not work, contact Product Support Services.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Jerry Schwartz
> http://www.writebynight.com
> e-card JerryS https://ecardfile.com/

Jerry,
Is this Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2?
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----

Actually, the only thing I've tried is restart; I didn't see any point is
shutting down the power, it's not likely the registry is overheating. :<)

--

<frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
> does this occur only after a shutdown and re-powering, or after a restart
> too?
>
> If after a shutdown only, it would appear that the power is going off
> before the HD has had a chance to write tha last bit of data; try turning
> off "write behind caching" in Device Manager | Disk Drive | Properties |
> Advanced. Also, look in the event log for any info about the last
> shutdown, like a process that has prevented the reg/profile from
> unloading.

NTREGOP fixed my problem. It did exactly what I needed: export the registry
contents, then rebuild the actual registry itself. That fixed whatever
linkages were broken.