Registry Recovery over and over again

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Every time my system starts, I get a "Registry Recovery" monologue box. It
says that the registry was recovered successfully, but the same thing
happens every time I boot. The obvious conclusion is that something is
damaging the registry while the system is running or shutting down.

I uninstalled everything I've installed lately, without any results. I've
also used MSCONFIG to boot with minimal services, again without any change.

The only error in the event viewer (system log) is a failure of the CAE
Server service to start due to a missing file. I suspect that's a separate
issue, since disabling the service didn't fix the problem. (I don't know
what the CAE Server service is, by the way.)

How do I figure out what part of the registry is damaged? How do I make this
problem go away?

The system seems to run just fine, otherwise.

--
Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
http://www.writebynight.com
e-card JerryS https://ecardfile.com/
8 answers Last reply
More about registry recovery over again
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Jerry Schwartz wrote:
    > Every time my system starts, I get a "Registry Recovery" monologue
    > box. It says that the registry was recovered successfully, but the
    > same thing happens every time I boot. The obvious conclusion is that
    > something is damaging the registry while the system is running or
    > shutting down.
    >
    > I uninstalled everything I've installed lately, without any results.
    > I've also used MSCONFIG to boot with minimal services, again without
    > any change.
    >
    > The only error in the event viewer (system log) is a failure of the
    > CAE Server service to start due to a missing file. I suspect that's a
    > separate issue, since disabling the service didn't fix the problem.
    > (I don't know what the CAE Server service is, by the way.)
    >
    > How do I figure out what part of the registry is damaged? How do I
    > make this problem go away?
    >
    > The system seems to run just fine, otherwise.

    Jerry,
    Would you post back with the "verbatim" text of that message.
    You say you have minimized the Services in MSCOFIG. Have you also looked at the programs listed in the "Startup" tab?

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User
    -----
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    When the system boots, a dialogue box appears that says

    "One of the files containing the system's Registry had to be recovered by
    use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful."

    In MSCONFIG, I tried the option "Diagnostic Startup." That turns off just
    about everything, including startup items, but it didn't affect this
    problem.

    --
    Regards,

    Jerry Schwartz
    http://www.writebynight.com
    e-card JerryS https://ecardfile.com/
    "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    news:OIB5KroVFHA.3588@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    Jerry Schwartz wrote:
    > Every time my system starts, I get a "Registry Recovery" monologue
    > box. It says that the registry was recovered successfully, but the
    > same thing happens every time I boot. The obvious conclusion is that
    > something is damaging the registry while the system is running or
    > shutting down.
    >
    > I uninstalled everything I've installed lately, without any results.
    > I've also used MSCONFIG to boot with minimal services, again without
    > any change.
    >
    > The only error in the event viewer (system log) is a failure of the
    > CAE Server service to start due to a missing file. I suspect that's a
    > separate issue, since disabling the service didn't fix the problem.
    > (I don't know what the CAE Server service is, by the way.)
    >
    > How do I figure out what part of the registry is damaged? How do I
    > make this problem go away?
    >
    > The system seems to run just fine, otherwise.

    Jerry,
    Would you post back with the "verbatim" text of that message.
    You say you have minimized the Services in MSCOFIG. Have you also looked at
    the programs listed in the "Startup" tab?

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User
    -----
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    By the way, the informational message in the system log is

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Application Popup
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 26
    Date: 5/12/2005
    Time: 10:42:49 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: MAILHUB
    Description:
    Application popup: Windows - Registry Recovery : One of the files containing
    the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate
    copy. The recovery was successful.

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

    Unfortunately, if that link is supposed to give me more information it isn't
    succeeding. I don't know what driver or application might be causing the
    problem. I initially suspected the CAE Server service, whose executable is
    in fact missing, but disabling the service didn't make the popup go away.

    Details
    Product: Windows Operating System
    ID: 26
    Source: Application Popup
    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: STATUS_LOG_HARD_ERROR
    Message: Application popup: %1 : %2

    Explanation
    The program could not load a driver because the program user doesn't
    have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive is
    missing or corrupt.


    User Action
    To correct this problem:

    a.. Ensure that the program user has sufficient privileges to access
    the directory in which the driver is installed.
    b.. Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct
    location.
    If these solutions do not work, contact Product Support Services.


    --
    Regards,

    Jerry Schwartz
    http://www.writebynight.com
    e-card JerryS https://ecardfile.com/
    "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    news:OIB5KroVFHA.3588@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    Jerry Schwartz wrote:
    > Every time my system starts, I get a "Registry Recovery" monologue
    > box. It says that the registry was recovered successfully, but the
    > same thing happens every time I boot. The obvious conclusion is that
    > something is damaging the registry while the system is running or
    > shutting down.
    >
    > I uninstalled everything I've installed lately, without any results.
    > I've also used MSCONFIG to boot with minimal services, again without
    > any change.
    >
    > The only error in the event viewer (system log) is a failure of the
    > CAE Server service to start due to a missing file. I suspect that's a
    > separate issue, since disabling the service didn't fix the problem.
    > (I don't know what the CAE Server service is, by the way.)
    >
    > How do I figure out what part of the registry is damaged? How do I
    > make this problem go away?
    >
    > The system seems to run just fine, otherwise.

    Jerry,
    Would you post back with the "verbatim" text of that message.
    You say you have minimized the Services in MSCOFIG. Have you also looked at
    the programs listed in the "Startup" tab?

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User
    -----
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    does this occur only after a shutdown and re-powering, or after a restart
    too?

    If after a shutdown only, it would appear that the power is going off
    before the HD has had a chance to write tha last bit of data; try turning
    off "write behind caching" in Device Manager | Disk Drive | Properties |
    Advanced. Also, look in the event log for any info about the last
    shutdown, like a process that has prevented the reg/profile from
    unloading.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Jerry Schwartz wrote:
    > By the way, the informational message in the system log is
    >
    > Event Type: Information
    > Event Source: Application Popup
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 26
    > Date: 5/12/2005
    > Time: 10:42:49 AM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: MAILHUB
    > Description:
    > Application popup: Windows - Registry Recovery : One of the files
    > containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a
    > log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.
    >
    > For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    >
    > Unfortunately, if that link is supposed to give me more information
    > it isn't succeeding. I don't know what driver or application might be
    > causing the problem. I initially suspected the CAE Server service,
    > whose executable is in fact missing, but disabling the service didn't
    > make the popup go away.
    >
    > Details
    > Product: Windows Operating System
    > ID: 26
    > Source: Application Popup
    > Version: 5.2
    > Symbolic Name: STATUS_LOG_HARD_ERROR
    > Message: Application popup: %1 : %2
    >
    > Explanation
    > The program could not load a driver because the program user
    > doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because
    > the drive is missing or corrupt.
    >
    >
    > User Action
    > To correct this problem:
    >
    > a.. Ensure that the program user has sufficient privileges to
    > access the directory in which the driver is installed.
    > b.. Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct
    > location.
    > If these solutions do not work, contact Product Support Services.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jerry Schwartz
    > http://www.writebynight.com
    > e-card JerryS https://ecardfile.com/

    Jerry,
    Is this Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2?
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User
    -----
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    SP2, since a long time ago.

    --
    Regards,

    Jerry Schwartz
    http://www.writebynight.com
    e-card JerryS https://ecardfile.com/
    "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    news:eSXf0H1VFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    Jerry Schwartz wrote:
    > By the way, the informational message in the system log is
    >
    > Event Type: Information
    > Event Source: Application Popup
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 26
    > Date: 5/12/2005
    > Time: 10:42:49 AM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: MAILHUB
    > Description:
    > Application popup: Windows - Registry Recovery : One of the files
    > containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a
    > log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.
    >
    > For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    >
    > Unfortunately, if that link is supposed to give me more information
    > it isn't succeeding. I don't know what driver or application might be
    > causing the problem. I initially suspected the CAE Server service,
    > whose executable is in fact missing, but disabling the service didn't
    > make the popup go away.
    >
    > Details
    > Product: Windows Operating System
    > ID: 26
    > Source: Application Popup
    > Version: 5.2
    > Symbolic Name: STATUS_LOG_HARD_ERROR
    > Message: Application popup: %1 : %2
    >
    > Explanation
    > The program could not load a driver because the program user
    > doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because
    > the drive is missing or corrupt.
    >
    >
    > User Action
    > To correct this problem:
    >
    > a.. Ensure that the program user has sufficient privileges to
    > access the directory in which the driver is installed.
    > b.. Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct
    > location.
    > If these solutions do not work, contact Product Support Services.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jerry Schwartz
    > http://www.writebynight.com
    > e-card JerryS https://ecardfile.com/

    Jerry,
    Is this Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2?
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User
    -----
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Actually, the only thing I've tried is restart; I didn't see any point is
    shutting down the power, it's not likely the registry is overheating. :<)

    --
    Regards,

    Jerry Schwartz
    http://www.writebynight.com
    e-card JerryS https://ecardfile.com/
    <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
    news:1187afekqv7m85c@corp.supernews.com...
    > does this occur only after a shutdown and re-powering, or after a restart
    > too?
    >
    > If after a shutdown only, it would appear that the power is going off
    > before the HD has had a chance to write tha last bit of data; try turning
    > off "write behind caching" in Device Manager | Disk Drive | Properties |
    > Advanced. Also, look in the event log for any info about the last
    > shutdown, like a process that has prevented the reg/profile from
    > unloading.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    NTREGOP fixed my problem. It did exactly what I needed: export the registry
    contents, then rebuild the actual registry itself. That fixed whatever
    linkages were broken.

    --
    Regards,

    Jerry Schwartz
    http://www.writebynight.com
    e-card JerryS https://ecardfile.com/
    "Jerry Schwartz" <jerryschwartz@comfortable.com> wrote in message
    news:uGutdSoVFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > Every time my system starts, I get a "Registry Recovery" monologue box. It
    > says that the registry was recovered successfully, but the same thing
    > happens every time I boot. The obvious conclusion is that something is
    > damaging the registry while the system is running or shutting down.
    >
    > I uninstalled everything I've installed lately, without any results. I've
    > also used MSCONFIG to boot with minimal services, again without any
    > change.
    >
    > The only error in the event viewer (system log) is a failure of the CAE
    > Server service to start due to a missing file. I suspect that's a separate
    > issue, since disabling the service didn't fix the problem. (I don't know
    > what the CAE Server service is, by the way.)
    >
    > How do I figure out what part of the registry is damaged? How do I make
    > this problem go away?
    >
    > The system seems to run just fine, otherwise.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jerry Schwartz
    > http://www.writebynight.com
    > e-card JerryS https://ecardfile.com/
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Data Recovery Registry Windows XP