6800GT Brand Suggestions + AGP vs. PCIe

Acert93

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Hey guys,

I am considering getting a 6800GT, and there seems to be quite a few between $390-$400. Which of the following brands do you most recommend and which would you suggest to steer away from?

The 6800 GTs I am looking at are from: BFG, PNY, XFX, Leadtek, Chaintech, Aopen, eVGA, MSI, Gainward.

All of them run at 350MHz GPU / 1GHz mem less the BFG ($400) that has a 370MHz GPU. I am not too interested in what software comes with them (unless it is something good), I just want the best card to play HL2 and BF2 with. The BFG looks interesting, but wanted some quality feedback before I dropped $400 on a Video Card!

Also, what do you guys think: I will need to get a AGP card if I upgrade now (which I need to since I am selling my Radeon 9700). What I am wondering is in 12 months or so I will be getting new CPu/MB. I am hoping there are quality MB that can accept a good CPU but take my AGP card and RAM (DDR400). With the DDR2/775/PCIe all hitting at once is a downer. Might wander over the AMD 64-ville if I can get a quality board/CPU that support my RAM and AGP card. I just want some life out of the AGP Video card. Any suggestions and thoughts in this area also?

*sorry bout the PCI instead of PCIe.... late night post :(<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Acert93 on 08/23/04 10:45 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
1st of all, think u shld edit ur subject line to include an 'e' with PCI, so that it signifies PCIe, not that it matters as u mention geforce 6800, but its good practice to stick with std.

If you really wanto play HL2, u might wanto look at ATI cards.

theres <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=410784#410784" target="_new">another thread</A> abt choosing a brand for 6800 (it was non-ultra there). That list didnt include the BFG, but I would have made that my choice, if it were there. They pre-OC their products and gaurantee them, which is pretty good as hardly anybody does that.

Also they stand for BIG FUC*ING GUN !! Thats my face :mad: when i m blowing those creatures up with that gun. :tongue: and we all love the BFG(of course after the chainsaw)

<i> :evil: <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :evil: </i>
<b>Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now.</b>

mediocer

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2004
I'm not sure about the other brands, but BFG (B.F.G., priyajeet, same here) has lifetime warrenty on all of their cards, thats why i choose to get their cards. Good tech/support too.

<font color=red>Expert user</font color=red>, <font color=orange>Novice questions</font color=orange>. :tongue:
<i>A64 3400+ 1mb</i>

pauldh

Illustrious
And although BFG may seem to be a fairly new name in Video Cards, the guys who started it were former Visiontek people from when they went under. So they aren't new to making cards. When they first came out, I thought of them as "Visiontek with a Warranty", since at that time buying Visiontek meant iffy warranty and rebate status(at best). :smile:

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt