Battery status icon not displaying in taskbar

I have a HP Pavilion ze4540us running Win XP SP2. The battery status icon
doesn't display in spite of it being set to do so in power management. It is
set to "always show" in the taskbar, too. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Luis
7 answers Last reply
More about battery status icon displaying taskbar

    Hi Luis,

    SYMPTOM: When you restart the computer, the icons in the notification area
    are missing. If you log off and log on with the same user account, the icons
    appear.

    To resolve this behavior, follow these steps to disable the SSDP feature:
    1.Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.

    2.Click Services and Applications.
    3.Double-click Services.
    4.In the Services list, right-click SSDP Discovery Service, and then click
    Properties.
    5.On the General tab, in the Startup type drop-down list, click Disabled.
    6.Click OK.

    Note When SSDP Discovery service is disabled, new devices on the network
    cannot be found automatically.

    More Information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;841571

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "lgortiz" <lgortiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a HP Pavilion ze4540us running Win XP SP2. The battery status icon
    > doesn't display in spite of it being set to do so in power management. It
    > is
    > set to "always show" in the taskbar, too. Any input is greatly
    > appreciated!
    > Luis

    See also:
    How To: Fix Missing System Tray Icons at Windows XP startup:
    http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_013.html

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "lgortiz" <lgortiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a HP Pavilion ze4540us running Win XP SP2. The battery status icon
    > doesn't display in spite of it being set to do so in power management. It
    > is
    > set to "always show" in the taskbar, too. Any input is greatly
    > appreciated!
    > Luis

    Some of those apps cannot show an icon in the Notification area unless they are run After the startup of XP is finished.

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "lgortiz" <lgortiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0FCD8D94-B21C-4B59-B4E9-72247DF45BCE@microsoft.com...
    >I have a HP Pavilion ze4540us running Win XP SP2. The battery status icon
    > doesn't display in spite of it being set to do so in power management. It is
    > set to "always show" in the taskbar, too. Any input is greatly appreciated!
    > Luis

    Thank you both, Ramesh and Mark. I was able to fix my problem with your
    input. Keep up the EXCELLENT work :-) Luis

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > Some of those apps cannot show an icon in the Notification area unless they are run After the startup of XP is finished.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "lgortiz" <lgortiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0FCD8D94-B21C-4B59-B4E9-72247DF45BCE@microsoft.com...
    > >I have a HP Pavilion ze4540us running Win XP SP2. The battery status icon
    > > doesn't display in spite of it being set to do so in power management. It is
    > > set to "always show" in the taskbar, too. Any input is greatly appreciated!
    > > Luis

    Which step helped you, Luis?

    --

    > Thank you both, Ramesh and Mark. I was able to fix my problem with your
    > input. Keep up the EXCELLENT work :-) Luis
    >

    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> Some of those apps cannot show an icon in the Notification area unless
    >> they are run After the startup of XP is finished.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    >> marfers notes for windows xp
    >> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    >> ..
    >> "lgortiz" <lgortiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a HP Pavilion ze4540us running Win XP SP2. The battery status
    >> >icon
    >> > doesn't display in spite of it being set to do so in power management.
    >> > It is
    >> > set to "always show" in the taskbar, too. Any input is greatly
    >> > appreciated!
    >> > Luis

    Ramesh, specifically it was your suggestion of disabling the SSDP Discovery
    service. Thanks again!! Now if I could only figure out the little taskbar
    "popup" program that briefly appears every 15 minutes and keeps my computer's
    screensaver from kicking-in.......(-:

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Which step helped you, Luis?
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "lgortiz" <lgortiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank you both, Ramesh and Mark. I was able to fix my problem with your
    > > input. Keep up the EXCELLENT work :-) Luis
    > >

    > > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Some of those apps cannot show an icon in the Notification area unless
    > >> they are run After the startup of XP is finished.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Mark L. Ferguson
    > >> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > >> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    > >> marfers notes for windows xp
    > >> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    > >> ..
    > >> "lgortiz" <lgortiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Thanks for the fedback, Luis. This should help others.

    --

    > Ramesh, specifically it was your suggestion of disabling the SSDP
    > Discovery
    > service. Thanks again!! Now if I could only figure out the little taskbar
    > "popup" program that briefly appears every 15 minutes and keeps my
    > computer's
    > screensaver from kicking-in.......(-:
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Which step helped you, Luis?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "lgortiz" <lgortiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thank you both, Ramesh and Mark. I was able to fix my problem with your
    >> > input. Keep up the EXCELLENT work :-) Luis

Battery Taskbar Windows XP