Ian

I have a customer who has already pruchased the AE Pro upgrade, but only had
a OEM 98 but has no prod id and no recourse as PC builder out of business.

My resolution is to load Home and then upgrade to Pro.

But can you install Home SP2 and the use the XP Pro SP1 upgrade?

Ian wrote:
> I have a customer who has already pruchased the AE Pro upgrade, but
> only had a OEM 98 but has no prod id and no recourse as PC builder
> out of business.
>
> My resolution is to load Home and then upgrade to Pro.
>
> But can you install Home SP2 and the use the XP Pro SP1 upgrade?

AE Pro?
They can use their Windows 98 CD as qualifying upgrade and do a clean
install of Windows XP (upgrade or not.)
Why would you put Home on then Pro? Windows 98 can be upgraded to Windows
XP Professional directly.

As for your other question, you can slipstream/integrate SP2 into their
install media and create a new SP2 CD for them - so that they install
directly to SP2. Google for "AutoStreamer".

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Ian

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Ian wrote:
> > I have a customer who has already pruchased the AE Pro upgrade, but
> > only had a OEM 98 but has no prod id and no recourse as PC builder
> > out of business.
> >
> > My resolution is to load Home and then upgrade to Pro.
> >
> > But can you install Home SP2 and the use the XP Pro SP1 upgrade?
>
> AE Pro?
> They can use their Windows 98 CD as qualifying upgrade and do a clean
> install of Windows XP (upgrade or not.)
> Why would you put Home on then Pro? Windows 98 can be upgraded to Windows
> XP Professional directly.
>
> As for your other question, you can slipstream/integrate SP2 into their
> install media and create a new SP2 CD for them - so that they install
> directly to SP2. Google for "AutoStreamer".
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --

Thx Shenan,

AE being the Academic Edition.

Sorry I failed to mention one thing which explains what I am trying to do. I
need to reformat due to XP stability issues, and customer has no Full Licence
to install prior to XP Pro Upgrade.

If I slipstream it onto the XP pro upgrade, will that then work over a XP
Home SP2 install? I know that if it detects that SP2 is installed it wont
allow SP1 products to be installed.

Cheers
Ian

Ian wrote:
> AE being the Academic Edition.
>
> Sorry I failed to mention one thing which explains what I am trying
> to do. I need to reformat due to XP stability issues, and customer
> has no Full Licence to install prior to XP Pro Upgrade.
>
> If I slipstream it onto the XP pro upgrade, will that then work over
> a XP Home SP2 install? I know that if it detects that SP2 is
> installed it wont allow SP1 products to be installed.

I should have known AE was academic edition.. oops.

And yes - it will work..

However, I would not - if performing a CLEAN install - bother installing
Windows XP Home edition and then upgrading. I would just start with the
Windows XP Professional SP2 integrated cd and start installing.. It will
request qualified upgrade media.. You know (I suppose you do) he has a
qualifying upgrade path - just put one of the qualifying media CDs (Windows
9x/ME/2000/XP Home) into the drive when it asks and that way you are
performing a 100% clean installation of Windows XP Professional without any
upgrading going on.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Ian

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Ian wrote:
> > I have a customer who has already pruchased the AE Pro upgrade, but
> > only had a OEM 98 but has no prod id and no recourse as PC builder
> > out of business.
> >
> > My resolution is to load Home and then upgrade to Pro.
> >
> > But can you install Home SP2 and the use the XP Pro SP1 upgrade?
>
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> > AE Pro?
> > They can use their Windows 98 CD as qualifying upgrade and do a clean
> > install of Windows XP (upgrade or not.)
> > Why would you put Home on then Pro? Windows 98 can be upgraded to
> > Windows XP Professional directly.
> >
> > As for your other question, you can slipstream/integrate SP2 into
> > their install media and create a new SP2 CD for them - so that they
> > install directly to SP2. Google for "AutoStreamer".
>
> Ian wrote:
> > AE being the Academic Edition.
> >
> > Sorry I failed to mention one thing which explains what I am trying
> > to do. I need to reformat due to XP stability issues, and customer
> > has no Full Licence to install prior to XP Pro Upgrade.
> >
> > If I slipstream it onto the XP pro upgrade, will that then work over
> > a XP Home SP2 install? I know that if it detects that SP2 is
> > installed it wont allow SP1 products to be installed.
>
> I should have known AE was academic edition.. oops.
>
> And yes - it will work..
>
> However, I would not - if performing a CLEAN install - bother installing
> Windows XP Home edition and then upgrading. I would just start with the
> Windows XP Professional SP2 integrated cd and start installing.. It will
> request qualified upgrade media.. You know (I suppose you do) he has a
> qualifying upgrade path - just put one of the qualifying media CDs (Windows
> 9x/ME/2000/XP Home) into the drive when it asks and that way you are
> performing a 100% clean installation of Windows XP Professional without any
> upgrading going on.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --

Ha, too many acronyms in this world to remember all of them.

He doesn't have any full media to use. Using my copies would be not
suggested I assume?

yeh thx I'm aware of the upgrade path, but if my memory serves me correct,
you were misleading (9x) as 95 is not upgradable to XP. Like I said if I
remember it right :)

cheers

Ian

Ian wrote:
> Ha, too many acronyms in this world to remember all of them.
>
> He doesn't have any full media to use. Using my copies would be not
> suggested I assume?
>
> yeh thx I'm aware of the upgrade path, but if my memory serves me
> correct, you were misleading (9x) as 95 is not upgradable to XP. Like
> I said if I remember it right :)

Windows 95 Official Retail and OEM CD-ROMs are taken as qualifying media for
use with the upgrade version of Windows XP Home or Professional. You cannot
upgrade a Windows 95 installation with Windows XP, however - only perform
the clean install and use it as a qualifying media for the install.

As for the upgrade media to use...
I was going off the fact that you were going to use your Windows XP Home to
do the initial install to get him upgraded anyway. heh
(Is that their XP Home?) In the strictest sense - you would only use their
media to do either your suggested path otr my clean install path.. Perhaps
"bending not breaking" if they indeed have proof of license for Windows
98...?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Ian

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Ian wrote:
> > Ha, too many acronyms in this world to remember all of them.
> >
> > He doesn't have any full media to use. Using my copies would be not
> > suggested I assume?
> >
> > yeh thx I'm aware of the upgrade path, but if my memory serves me
> > correct, you were misleading (9x) as 95 is not upgradable to XP. Like
> > I said if I remember it right :)
>
> Windows 95 Official Retail and OEM CD-ROMs are taken as qualifying media for
> use with the upgrade version of Windows XP Home or Professional. You cannot
> upgrade a Windows 95 installation with Windows XP, however - only perform
> the clean install and use it as a qualifying media for the install.
>
> As for the upgrade media to use...
> I was going off the fact that you were going to use your Windows XP Home to
> do the initial install to get him upgraded anyway. heh
> (Is that their XP Home?) In the strictest sense - you would only use their
> media to do either your suggested path otr my clean install path.. Perhaps
> "bending not breaking" if they indeed have proof of license for Windows
> 98...?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --

Thanks for clarifiing the upgrade and install media difference, I wasnt
aware of that. I am a small business, doing all manners of IT support, would
prefer not to be seen as "bending " any rules, no matter how small we think
they are.
Will chase down if they have any proof of purchase and try MS help lines to
see if they will help with media in this situation.

Just to clarify, if I go down the path where they purchase a Home SP2, and
work out how to do that slipstream of SP2 using current Pro SP1 disk, it
should work right? it wont turn round and error due to new version already
installed. The way i read what you stated was that the new media created when
slipstraming SP2 onto the Pro upgrade will be detected as if it was a SP2
disk. is that correct assumption?

Have never bother to learn how to slipstream before as always just run the
SP2 disks after and new installs are all SP2 these days. Im sure it wont be
to hard.

Cheers

Ian

Ian wrote:
> Just to clarify, if I go down the path where they purchase a Home
> SP2, and work out how to do that slipstream of SP2 using current Pro
> SP1 disk, it should work right? it wont turn round and error due to
> new version already installed. The way i read what you stated was
> that the new media created when slipstraming SP2 onto the Pro upgrade
> will be detected as if it was a SP2 disk. is that correct assumption?

If they purchase Windows XP Home... And you install that.. Then you
slipstream SP2 into their AE version of Windows XP Professional, you can
then insert that AE verion of Windows XP Professional w/SP2 while in Windows
XP Home edition and upgrade Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP
Professional Edition.

http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

No, sp1 will not load over sp2.

When you run an upgrade cd, it asks for 'qualifying product' which you can answer by simply putting in the old setup cd, browse to
it when asked, then browse back to the new cd.

--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509