Missile Command Monitor Plexi repo ?

Anyone know of a source for new smoked plexi for a UR MC ?

Don
10 answers Last reply
More about missile command monitor plexi repo

    There is none (at least with the silk'd white lettering on it).

    tim (NH)

    prOk wrote:
    > I ran into the same thing recently while working on restoring my pong

    > doubles.. the huge smoked plexi has some silkscreen work on it that
    some
    > young artist decided to scratch off. My solution to the problem was
    > redraw the missing art in illustrator and take it to a local vinyl
    cutting
    > shop. They made me a nice super thin vinyl sticker that looks pretty
    damn
    > identical to the original screening.. even the thickness when you run
    > fingernail over it is very close. I know it's not original screened,
    but
    > when the part you need really doesn't grow on trees it's worth a shot
    and
    > looks good (was super cheap too)..
    >
    > here's what I wound up with (see bottom 2 pix):
    > http://www.rgvac.com/games.asp?gameID=18
    >
    > /b
    >
    > http://www.tutankham.com

    very nice brian.

    Archer made them. They look great. He's at arch@awesome.uk.com. Don't
    know the price though.

    Joe

    "arcadeguy" <arcadeguy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone know of a source for new smoked plexi for a UR MC ?
    >
    > Don

    >>Archer made them.

    Wow, thats great! Remember theres two plexis...one with text and one
    without..

    tim (NH)

    "Joe Magiera" <joemagiera@ameritech.net> wrote in message
    > Archer made them. They look great. He's at arch@awesome.uk.com. Don't
    > know the price though.
    >
    > Joe
    >
    > "arcadeguy" <arcadeguy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Anyone know of a source for new smoked plexi for a UR MC ?
    >>
    >> Don

    I ran into the same thing recently while working on restoring my pong
    doubles.. the huge smoked plexi has some silkscreen work on it that some
    young artist decided to scratch off. My solution to the problem was to
    redraw the missing art in illustrator and take it to a local vinyl cutting
    shop. They made me a nice super thin vinyl sticker that looks pretty damn
    identical to the original screening.. even the thickness when you run a
    fingernail over it is very close. I know it's not original screened, but
    when the part you need really doesn't grow on trees it's worth a shot and
    looks good (was super cheap too)..

    here's what I wound up with (see bottom 2 pix):
    http://www.rgvac.com/games.asp?gameID=18

    /b

    http://www.tutankham.com

    "arcadeguy" <arcadeguy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone know of a source for new smoked plexi for a UR MC ?
    >
    > Don

    It's funny how these machines get around. That machine was mine, then
    Jeff's, then Jon's and now yours. Finally, somebody is restoring it. You're
    doing a great job.

    When I had it I planned on doing something similar. I was going to redraw
    the logo and have it vinyl cut, but instead of applying the logo to the
    plexi I was going to use the negative - the vinyl left over after the logo
    was removed - as a stencil and try to spray paint the logo on. I've thought
    about this technique a lot but have never tried it. I wonder if the paint
    would leak unger the vinyl or pull up when the vinyl was removed.

    Anway, well done.

    -roy-

    "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I ran into the same thing recently while working on restoring my pong
    >doubles.. the huge smoked plexi has some silkscreen work on it that some
    >young artist decided to scratch off. My solution to the problem was to
    >redraw the missing art in illustrator and take it to a local vinyl cutting
    >shop. They made me a nice super thin vinyl sticker that looks pretty damn
    >identical to the original screening.. even the thickness when you run a
    >fingernail over it is very close. I know it's not original screened, but
    >when the part you need really doesn't grow on trees it's worth a shot and
    >looks good (was super cheap too)..
    >
    > here's what I wound up with (see bottom 2 pix):
    > http://www.rgvac.com/games.asp?gameID=18
    >
    > /b
    >
    > http://www.tutankham.com
    >
    > "arcadeguy" <arcadeguy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Anyone know of a source for new smoked plexi for a UR MC ?
    >>
    >> Don

  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Hey Brian, just wanted to say WOW! That looks great. How did you
    ever come up with an idea like that? We've got a local Sign pro here
    that can make decals but minimum order is always a hundred. Can't
    just make one y'know. Great work!

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 22:50:46 GMT, "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I ran into the same thing recently while working on restoring my pong
    >doubles.. the huge smoked plexi has some silkscreen work on it that some
    >young artist decided to scratch off. My solution to the problem was to
    >redraw the missing art in illustrator and take it to a local vinyl cutting
    >shop. They made me a nice super thin vinyl sticker that looks pretty damn
    >identical to the original screening.. even the thickness when you run a
    >fingernail over it is very close. I know it's not original screened, but
    >when the part you need really doesn't grow on trees it's worth a shot and
    >looks good (was super cheap too)..
    >
    >here's what I wound up with (see bottom 2 pix):
    >http://www.rgvac.com/games.asp?gameID=18
    >
    >/b
    >
    >http://www.tutankham.com
    >
    >"arcadeguy" <arcadeguy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Anyone know of a source for new smoked plexi for a UR MC ?
    >>
    >> Don

    Kineplex Systems of Lima, Ohio
    http://www.kineplex.com
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Hehe.. funny how the world goes round eh Roy? I put 2 and 2 together
    regarding where those games came from a little while back :)

    I tried using them as a mask and painting but it really didn't look near as
    crisp as the silkscreen did.. In the end, the height of the sticker is not
    much different than the height of the original screening so I was happy with
    the result.

    In my local mall there's one of those carts in the walkways that sells
    stickers that people usually put on their cars.. I just made my art file and
    asked them to cut it out of white vinyl for me. They charged 3.00 for 2 of
    them and gave me a black one for my car's back window :)

    It's certainly not *exactly* like the original but it's very close.. a
    viable cost effective option for situations like this one and missile
    command bezels..

    /b

    "Chumblespuzz" <nospam@cademo.com> wrote in message
    > It's funny how these machines get around. That machine was mine, then
    > Jeff's, then Jon's and now yours. Finally, somebody is restoring it.
    > You're doing a great job.
    >
    > When I had it I planned on doing something similar. I was going to redraw
    > the logo and have it vinyl cut, but instead of applying the logo to the
    > plexi I was going to use the negative - the vinyl left over after the logo
    > was removed - as a stencil and try to spray paint the logo on. I've
    > thought about this technique a lot but have never tried it. I wonder if
    > the paint would leak unger the vinyl or pull up when the vinyl was
    > removed.
    >
    > Anway, well done.
    >
    > -roy-
    >

    > "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I ran into the same thing recently while working on restoring my pong
    >>doubles.. the huge smoked plexi has some silkscreen work on it that some
    >>young artist decided to scratch off. My solution to the problem was to
    >>redraw the missing art in illustrator and take it to a local vinyl cutting
    >>shop. They made me a nice super thin vinyl sticker that looks pretty damn
    >>identical to the original screening.. even the thickness when you run a
    >>fingernail over it is very close. I know it's not original screened, but
    >>when the part you need really doesn't grow on trees it's worth a shot and
    >>looks good (was super cheap too)..
    >>
    >> here's what I wound up with (see bottom 2 pix):
    >> http://www.rgvac.com/games.asp?gameID=18
    >>
    >> /b
    >>
    >> http://www.tutankham.com
    >>
    >> "arcadeguy" <arcadeguy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Anyone know of a source for new smoked plexi for a UR MC ?
    >>>
    >>> Don

  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    You mean they were able to print and cut it right then and there on
    the fly? I'd like to check out the price of that machine! 8)

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 18:52:18 GMT, "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Hehe.. funny how the world goes round eh Roy? I put 2 and 2 together
    >regarding where those games came from a little while back :)
    >
    >I tried using them as a mask and painting but it really didn't look near as
    >crisp as the silkscreen did.. In the end, the height of the sticker is not
    >much different than the height of the original screening so I was happy with
    >the result.
    >
    >In my local mall there's one of those carts in the walkways that sells
    >stickers that people usually put on their cars.. I just made my art file and
    >asked them to cut it out of white vinyl for me. They charged 3.00 for 2 of
    >them and gave me a black one for my car's back window :)
    >
    >It's certainly not *exactly* like the original but it's very close.. a
    >viable cost effective option for situations like this one and missile
    >command bezels..
    >
    >/b
    >

    >"Chumblespuzz" <nospam@cademo.com> wrote in message
    >> It's funny how these machines get around. That machine was mine, then
    >> Jeff's, then Jon's and now yours. Finally, somebody is restoring it.
    >> You're doing a great job.
    >>
    >> When I had it I planned on doing something similar. I was going to redraw
    >> the logo and have it vinyl cut, but instead of applying the logo to the
    >> plexi I was going to use the negative - the vinyl left over after the logo
    >> was removed - as a stencil and try to spray paint the logo on. I've
    >> thought about this technique a lot but have never tried it. I wonder if
    >> the paint would leak unger the vinyl or pull up when the vinyl was
    >> removed.
    >>
    >> Anway, well done.
    >>
    >> -roy-
    >>

    >> "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I ran into the same thing recently while working on restoring my pong
    >>>doubles.. the huge smoked plexi has some silkscreen work on it that some
    >>>young artist decided to scratch off. My solution to the problem was to
    >>>redraw the missing art in illustrator and take it to a local vinyl cutting
    >>>shop. They made me a nice super thin vinyl sticker that looks pretty damn
    >>>identical to the original screening.. even the thickness when you run a
    >>>fingernail over it is very close. I know it's not original screened, but
    >>>when the part you need really doesn't grow on trees it's worth a shot and
    >>>looks good (was super cheap too)..
    >>>
    >>> here's what I wound up with (see bottom 2 pix):
    >>> http://www.rgvac.com/games.asp?gameID=18
    >>>
    >>> /b
    >>>
    >>> http://www.tutankham.com
    >>>
    >>> "arcadeguy" <arcadeguy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Kineplex Systems of Lima, Ohio
    http://www.kineplex.com
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    arcadeguy wrote:
    > Anyone know of a source for new smoked plexi for a UR MC ?
    >
    > Don

    I just got new smoked plexi for my UR MC from a local glass shop. My
    original was pretty scratched and had cigarette burns on it.

    The original MC UR has a clear piece of plexi with the lettering
    screened on it, then a plain tinted plexi piece over that. The games
    you see with the text highly visible on the outside of the tinted plexi
    are likely installed in the wrong order.

    You could get the original "look" by replacing the clear with a new
    clear plexi and use decals as Brian did (any vinyl sign shop should be
    able to do this), or even have them reverse printed and stick them on
    the back of new tinted plexi. Either would look correct.

    Wade

Games Video Command Prompt Monitors Video Games