Sign in with
Your question

Major problems with video cards...PLZ HELP

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 24, 2004 5:20:50 PM

Hi all, Im new here. Anyway, I have 2 video cards that seem to have died on me. I did have a Geforce 4 MX440 64mb AGP card, which worked for about 2 yrs, and now all of a sudden, windows recognizes it as standard vga...but when i install ANY drivers for it, windows wont boot up, just goes to black screen.

Second problem...since that isnt working, I dug out my old Radeon 7000 32mb AGP card I had been using before i got the GF4...last time I had used it, it worked fine...now for some reason, it crashed anytime i try to go into anything 3D( like games)...but dxdiag works fine with it, and all benchmarks seem to say its working, but it crashes when i try to play any 3D game, even restarts my system.

FYI, Im using latest catalyst drivers, and dx 9.0c.
Ive never had a problem with either card until recently...and I need a solution, since I am buying a new card on Thursday and I want to be sure its gonna work OK.
August 24, 2004 5:30:55 PM

i used to have a similar problem with my voodoo2 card from guillimot. i would play a 3d game.. it'd play for a bit, then my whole pc would just shut down. it was later discovered that there was something gone bad with my agp bus (that's what the tech said who looked at my pc after he tried another agp card). i later bought a mobo w/ 4x agp and the same card worked as good as ever. dx diag still worked when the card didn't, too.. said everything was fine.. and the gl and direct 3d tested fine too. <i><b>it looks as though</b></i> some tests aren't completely reliable unless you are actually in a game that fully uses the card's resources.
August 24, 2004 6:00:36 PM

Well since you are having issues with all of these cards.. I would say that it may be the mobo or apg slot? What if you use the cards in another pc, if they still give issues then I would say its the cards.. but if not.. maybe look at reinsall chipset drivers and or bios updates.. This could be start :D 

<font color=green>P4 2.4c @ 2.8
Asus P4P800
MSI R9800 Pro 128
1Gb DDR 2700 [Dual Channel]
80Gb WD </font color=green>
Related resources
August 24, 2004 6:34:00 PM

OK...well, problem is, I only have one PC to try it on.
I built this thing myself a few years ago...and all the drivers are recent...I made sure of it.
As far as bios update, i downloaded the updater from the manufacturer's website, and when i run it like it instructs, it freezes and i have to reboot my pc.
I cant afford a new moob or anything right now, so if the problem IS my AGP bus, then guess Ill have to get a PCI card...bad thing about that is that only PCI card thats being sold around here is the GF 4 MX400, which is a step down from the good card I have which isnt working.
August 24, 2004 6:52:09 PM

Hmm I would make sure you are downloading the correct bios.. Also when u try to flash.. are you..
-boot to 98 boot disc
-make a temp folder on your RAM driver (md c:\bios
-put in bios disc
-copy *.* c:\bios
-run the flash util...

If its failing, tripple make sure you are dling the exact one. try popping out bios battery and trying again..(for shits and giggles.)

Other then that.. kinda sucks.. I would say its a mobo issue.. whatt the chance of 2 vid cards giving issues.. on the same board.... it very possible.. ya never know :( 

<font color=green>P4 2.4c @ 2.8
Asus P4P800
MSI R9800 Pro 128
1Gb DDR 2700 [Dual Channel]
80Gb WD </font color=green>
August 24, 2004 11:53:29 PM

you can't afford a new mobo but you can afford a pci video card? what kind of mobo you think you have to purchase? you can get pretty good mobo for 50-60$, eh?

amd 2000+
gigabyte ga-7va
512mb samsung pc2700(2x256mb)
maxtor 60gb 7200rpm
LG cd-r/rw 48x24x48
soundblaster live 5.1
BBA radeon 9600xt 128mb
antec 550w true control
!