Home Satellite Network

G

I'm getting satellite (DirectPC) installed for internet downloads only. It has a USB connection from their box to the computer. I need to network (WAN) to the next building approx 300' away. No router has USB (in) that I know of so I can't plug the satellite connection into a router. I don't think there's a USB to Ethernet adapter available? How can I network 2 computers so they both can access the internet without one computer having to be on?

sathni

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
as i understand networking, you will have to designate one of the computers as the "gateway" to the internet, and have it "share the internet connection" with your other computers...

the other computers will access the internet thru your WAN, and thru the internet gateway (which would be the computer connected to the satellite)....

i have taken this one step further in my office.... we have a separate computer designated for internet access, which stays on all the time, but no one actually logs in or uses the computer... i save all my downloads on that one computer so the entire office can access any of the downloads at any time....

hope this helps.... i would love to hear from others who have a "better" way of accomplishing this task....

G

So basically I should get a stripped down computer, with just the minimal components, and use that in place of the router, networking from that computer to the other two. Sounds good. I'll check that out. Thanks!