Gold Tech Support

Last response: in Computer Brands
February 28, 2005 12:35:06 PM

Lost my USB ports... Called GTS at 10:30pm, last night.

A new motherboard arrived this morning, at approximately
9:00am, via UPS.

The Tech just called and will arrive within the hour.

I know Dell's got its problems, but this is DAMN GOOD SERVICE!

Notan

More about : gold tech support

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 2:13:43 PM

Notan wrote:

> Lost my USB ports... Called GTS at 10:30pm, last night.
>
> A new motherboard arrived this morning, at approximately
> 9:00am, via UPS.
>
> The Tech just called and will arrive within the hour.
>
> I know Dell's got its problems, but this is DAMN GOOD SERVICE!

The Tech arrived by 10, was out by 10:30, and my USB ports are back.

Sometimes you DO get what you pay for!

Notan
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 3:17:40 PM

Your experience goes right along with all the others that I have heard about
Gold Tech Support.
It is a shame that Dell continues to deny this service to those who purchase
from the Home/Home Office sales division.
We might even reconsider our decision not to buy any more Dell home
computers, if they changed their policy and offered Gold Tech Support to us.
But they continue to refuse.

Irene

> Lost my USB ports... Called GTS at 10:30pm, last night.
>
> A new motherboard arrived this morning, at approximately
> 9:00am, via UPS.
>
> The Tech just called and will arrive within the hour.
>
> I know Dell's got its problems, but this is DAMN GOOD SERVICE!
>
> Notan
February 28, 2005 6:36:52 PM

I've experienced the same great results as Notan with plain old 1 year
on-site service through the Small Business division.

Mind you, I've had little reason to need a service call: only three times in
all of the 8 years I've owned Dell computers. But in each case, the tech
arrived within 2 business days of my call and he was in and out of my place
in minutes.

Now that I feel more comfortable working inside a computer, I doubt I'll
need to summon a tech in the future. But it's good to know that I can count
on Dell if I need to. It's no surprise to me that Dell was No. 1 on Fortune
magazine's annual list of the nation's most admired companies.

Ted Zieglar

"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Your experience goes right along with all the others that I have heard
about
> Gold Tech Support.
> It is a shame that Dell continues to deny this service to those who
purchase
> from the Home/Home Office sales division.
> We might even reconsider our decision not to buy any more Dell home
> computers, if they changed their policy and offered Gold Tech Support to
us.
> But they continue to refuse.
>
> Irene
>
> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > Lost my USB ports... Called GTS at 10:30pm, last night.
> >
> > A new motherboard arrived this morning, at approximately
> > 9:00am, via UPS.
> >
> > The Tech just called and will arrive within the hour.
> >
> > I know Dell's got its problems, but this is DAMN GOOD SERVICE!
> >
> > Notan

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 9:59:46 PM

Even to another level:

I have a friend whose business was struck by lightning at 2 am. He called
Dell a little after 3am and told then what was affected by the lightning. It
amounted to almost $50,000 worth of equipment. Switches, routers, etc.

The tech was there before 7am to swap out the bad parts.

Now that's high-end, four hour on-site, but they will continue to buy Dell
just because of service like that.

The Home user, unfortunately, is still a second class citizen - at best.

> I've experienced the same great results as Notan with plain old 1 year
> on-site service through the Small Business division.
>
> Mind you, I've had little reason to need a service call: only three times
> in
> all of the 8 years I've owned Dell computers. But in each case, the tech
> arrived within 2 business days of my call and he was in and out of my
> place
> in minutes.
>
> Now that I feel more comfortable working inside a computer, I doubt I'll
> need to summon a tech in the future. But it's good to know that I can
> count
> on Dell if I need to. It's no surprise to me that Dell was No. 1 on
> Fortune
> magazine's annual list of the nation's most admired companies.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Your experience goes right along with all the others that I have heard
> about
>> Gold Tech Support.
>> It is a shame that Dell continues to deny this service to those who
> purchase
>> from the Home/Home Office sales division.
>> We might even reconsider our decision not to buy any more Dell home
>> computers, if they changed their policy and offered Gold Tech Support to
> us.
>> But they continue to refuse.
>>
>> Irene
>>
>> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
>> > Lost my USB ports... Called GTS at 10:30pm, last night.
>> >
>> > A new motherboard arrived this morning, at approximately
>> > 9:00am, via UPS.
>> >
>> > The Tech just called and will arrive within the hour.
>> >
>> > I know Dell's got its problems, but this is DAMN GOOD SERVICE!
>> >
>> > Notan

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 10:00:30 PM

Noton,
Do you work for Dell or just have a perpetual hard on for Dell?
> I've experienced the same great results as Notan with plain old 1 year
> on-site service through the Small Business division.
>
> Mind you, I've had little reason to need a service call: only three times
> in
> all of the 8 years I've owned Dell computers. But in each case, the tech
> arrived within 2 business days of my call and he was in and out of my
> place
> in minutes.
>
> Now that I feel more comfortable working inside a computer, I doubt I'll
> need to summon a tech in the future. But it's good to know that I can
> count
> on Dell if I need to. It's no surprise to me that Dell was No. 1 on
> Fortune
> magazine's annual list of the nation's most admired companies.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Your experience goes right along with all the others that I have heard
> about
>> Gold Tech Support.
>> It is a shame that Dell continues to deny this service to those who
> purchase
>> from the Home/Home Office sales division.
>> We might even reconsider our decision not to buy any more Dell home
>> computers, if they changed their policy and offered Gold Tech Support to
> us.
>> But they continue to refuse.
>>
>> Irene
>>
>> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
>> > Lost my USB ports... Called GTS at 10:30pm, last night.
>> >
>> > A new motherboard arrived this morning, at approximately
>> > 9:00am, via UPS.
>> >
>> > The Tech just called and will arrive within the hour.
>> >
>> > I know Dell's got its problems, but this is DAMN GOOD SERVICE!
>> >
>> > Notan

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 10:00:31 PM

Keith Hester wrote:

> Noton,
> Do you work for Dell or just have a perpetual hard on for Dell?

Aaahh, poor Keith.

Upset 'cause everyone has it better than you?

Notan
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 10:58:35 PM

Fagton,

I don't own a Dell and I'm not sorry.
> Keith Hester wrote:
>>
>> Noton,
>> Do you work for Dell or just have a perpetual hard on for Dell?
>
> Aaahh, poor Keith.
>
> Upset 'cause everyone has it better than you?
>
> Notan
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 10:58:36 PM

Keith Hester wrote:

> Fagton,
>
> I don't own a Dell and I'm not sorry.

You don't own a Dell, yet you're here to tell everyone
how bad their service is?

You're nothing but a joke.

Notan
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 11:11:03 PM

Noton,

You are indeed the joke here. I get a laught from reading your posts. I've
owned a few Dell PCs in the past, and it was not a pleasent experience. You
are always posting about how great Dell is even though many consumers are
not happy. I will admit that Dell was a good company back in the early
1990's, however; Dell has fallen in service and quality. You are narrow
minded and ignore the facts. You are just another DellBot on this group.

> Keith Hester wrote:
>>
>> Fagton,
>>
>> I don't own a Dell and I'm not sorry.
>
> You don't own a Dell, yet you're here to tell everyone
> how bad their service is?
>
> You're nothing but a joke.
>
> Notan
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 11:14:47 PM

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:17:40 -0800, Irene wrote:

> Your experience goes right along with all the others that I have heard about
> Gold Tech Support.
>
> It is a shame that Dell continues to deny this service to those who purchase
> from the Home/Home Office sales division.

That only happens to uninformed Home Users - you can, as a individual,
make purchase of those systems from the Small Business line and they never
question it. You can also ask for the Gold Plan for the Home Line, but you
have to ask.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Leythos wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:17:40 -0800, Irene wrote:
>
> > Your experience goes right along with all the others that I have heard about
> > Gold Tech Support.
> >
> > It is a shame that Dell continues to deny this service to those who purchase
> > from the Home/Home Office sales division.
>
> That only happens to uninformed Home Users - you can, as a individual,
> make purchase of those systems from the Small Business line and they never
> question it. You can also ask for the Gold Plan for the Home Line, but you
> have to ask.

While it's not available online, if it's only a phone call away,
I say, "Go for it!"

Notan
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 11:14:48 PM

So, ;what you are saying is that one must lie to Dell in order to get good
Tech Support?

news:p an.2005.02.28.20.23.58.772060@nowhere.lan...
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:17:40 -0800, Irene wrote:
>
>> Your experience goes right along with all the others that I have heard
>> about
>> Gold Tech Support.
>>
>> It is a shame that Dell continues to deny this service to those who
>> purchase
>> from the Home/Home Office sales division.
>
> That only happens to uninformed Home Users - you can, as a individual,
> make purchase of those systems from the Small Business line and they never
> question it. You can also ask for the Gold Plan for the Home Line, but you
> have to ask.
>
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 11:14:49 PM

I'll call. We tried to get it for our newest computer. In fact we tried
twice. Once when it was ordered and again later. The last time we asked was
early last year. We were told it was not available since we were Home
Computer customers.
Two of our computers are now out of warranty and the third will go out of
warranty in less than a year, so I suspect that rules them out.
There is no way that I can describe how poor the standard tech support has
been for our last $3000 Dimension desk top.

> Leythos wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:17:40 -0800, Irene wrote:
>>
>> > Your experience goes right along with all the others that I have heard
>> > about
>> > Gold Tech Support.
>> >
>> > It is a shame that Dell continues to deny this service to those who
>> > purchase
>> > from the Home/Home Office sales division.
>>
>> That only happens to uninformed Home Users - you can, as a individual,
>> make purchase of those systems from the Small Business line and they
>> never
>> question it. You can also ask for the Gold Plan for the Home Line, but
>> you
>> have to ask.
>
> While it's not available online, if it's only a phone call away,
> I say, "Go for it!"
>
> Notan
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 12:59:44 AM

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:59:09 -0800, Irene wrote:

> So, ;what you are saying is that one must lie to Dell in order to get good
> Tech Support?

Not quite - home users wishing to have a different level of service and
support are fully able/permitted to order from the Small Business site.
The SBS does not typically have pre-configured deals on Multi-Media
systems like the home user site does.

Do you always take a negative position on everything?

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 12:59:45 AM

No, but when we tried this, we were asked for the name and address of our
business. My husband not wanting to lie, told them the truth, we didn't have
one. The sales person said that without a business, he could not take our
order.

So, I repeat my question.
Do we have to lie to Dell in order to place a computer order with the Small
Business sales people?

news:p an.2005.02.28.22.02.46.637751@nowhere.lan...
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:59:09 -0800, Irene wrote:
>>
>> So, ;what you are saying is that one must lie to Dell in order to get
>> good
>> Tech Support?
>
> Not quite - home users wishing to have a different level of service and
> support are fully able/permitted to order from the Small Business site.
> The SBS does not typically have pre-configured deals on Multi-Media
> systems like the home user site does.
>
> Do you always take a negative position on everything?
>

> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 12:59:46 AM

>Do we have to lie to Dell in order to place a
> computer order with the Small Business sales
> people?

I would also like to know the answer to this question. Couldn't they
void the warranty if they found out we were really just home folks
looking for Gold Tech Support? Does anyone know of the correct and
honest way to buy from Dell and get this Gold Support? I would love to
know I could have a tech in my home if I ran into problems with a Dell
computer but I am not going to lie to get it.

Bea
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:07:43 AM

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:48:36 -0600, Bea xx wrote:

>>Do we have to lie to Dell in order to place a
>> computer order with the Small Business sales
>> people?
>
> I would also like to know the answer to this question. Couldn't they
> void the warranty if they found out we were really just home folks
> looking for Gold Tech Support? Does anyone know of the correct and
> honest way to buy from Dell and get this Gold Support? I would love to
> know I could have a tech in my home if I ran into problems with a Dell
> computer but I am not going to lie to get it.

I'll answer both of you in the same post - it depends on the sales rep as
to what's asked and where you can get. I've always just listed, for home
users, the same address for both locations and the company name is the
same as the home owners name.

As for telling a lie, there are many types of home businesses - even being
a mother can be seen as a business. It doesn't have to be a business based
around your computer to be a business.

Have you asked for Gold Level support contract cost from the Home User
account sales people?

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:07:44 AM

Leythos wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:48:36 -0600, Bea xx wrote:
>
> >>Do we have to lie to Dell in order to place a
> >> computer order with the Small Business sales
> >> people?
> >
> > I would also like to know the answer to this question. Couldn't they
> > void the warranty if they found out we were really just home folks
> > looking for Gold Tech Support? Does anyone know of the correct and
> > honest way to buy from Dell and get this Gold Support? I would love to
> > know I could have a tech in my home if I ran into problems with a Dell
> > computer but I am not going to lie to get it.
>
> I'll answer both of you in the same post - it depends on the sales rep as
> to what's asked and where you can get. I've always just listed, for home
> users, the same address for both locations and the company name is the
> same as the home owners name.
>
> As for telling a lie, there are many types of home businesses - even being
> a mother can be seen as a business. It doesn't have to be a business based
> around your computer to be a business.

While being a mother can be a difficult job, there's no way it can
be classified as a business, unless, of course, it produces some
type of income (e.g., a daycare provider).

Notan
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:07:44 AM

news:p an.2005.02.28.23.12.07.802409@nowhere.lan...
> Have you asked for Gold Level support contract cost from the Home User
> account sales people?

YES, as I said in my previous post. We were told that it was not available
to Home/Home Business purchasers.

I previously posted the following:

We tried to get it for our newest computer. In fact we tried
twice. Once when it was ordered and again later. The last time we asked was
early last year. We were told it was not available since we were Home
Computer customers.

news:p an.2005.02.28.23.12.07.802409@nowhere.lan...
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:48:36 -0600, Bea xx wrote:
>
>>>Do we have to lie to Dell in order to place a
>>> computer order with the Small Business sales
>>> people?
>>
>> I would also like to know the answer to this question. Couldn't they
>> void the warranty if they found out we were really just home folks
>> looking for Gold Tech Support? Does anyone know of the correct and
>> honest way to buy from Dell and get this Gold Support? I would love to
>> know I could have a tech in my home if I ran into problems with a Dell
>> computer but I am not going to lie to get it.
>
> I'll answer both of you in the same post - it depends on the sales rep as
> to what's asked and where you can get. I've always just listed, for home
> users, the same address for both locations and the company name is the
> same as the home owners name.
>
> As for telling a lie, there are many types of home businesses - even being
> a mother can be seen as a business. It doesn't have to be a business based
> around your computer to be a business.
>
> Have you asked for Gold Level support contract cost from the Home User
> account sales people?
>

> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:16:07 AM

I would agree with you do not lie.
If getting something requires a lie, find another way.

But what is considered a business?
Do you do anything work related on the computer?
Does anyone including kids have a business that may qualify under the vague
description of a business?
Paper route, baby sitting etc where the computer is used for record keeping,
letters to clients etc?

Also remember the techs do not troubleshoot.
The techs come in AFTER a call that has already identified the specific
problems

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Bea xx" <bsmp59@webtv.net> wrote in message
> I would also like to know the answer to this question. Couldn't they
> void the warranty if they found out we were really just home folks
> looking for Gold Tech Support? Does anyone know of the correct and
> honest way to buy from Dell and get this Gold Support? I would love to
> know I could have a tech in my home if I ran into problems with a Dell
> computer but I am not going to lie to get it.
>
> Bea
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 3:53:21 AM

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:48:08 -0800, Irene wrote:

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> news:p an.2005.02.28.23.12.07.802409@nowhere.lan...
>> Have you asked for Gold Level support contract cost from the Home User
>> account sales people?
>
> YES, as I said in my previous post. We were told that it was not available
> to Home/Home Business purchasers.

Thanks for the info - I read about 30 groups and sometimes the Alzheimers
gets the better of me.

I would suggest that you purchase through the small business site if you
care about support, even if you have to "stretch" the truth a little it's
worth it's weight in gold.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 3:53:22 AM

news:p an.2005.03.01.01.02.32.736995@nowhere.lan...
> I would suggest that you purchase through the small business site if you
> care about support, even if you have to "stretch" the truth a little it's
> worth it's weight in gold.

We are now retired, but we operated a business for over thirty years. We did
so without lies, stooping to fraud, or "stretching" the truth. We like to
think that our success(and it was substantial) was do, not in small part,
to the honesty and ethical manner that we treated our customers.

Neither my husband, nor myself see any thing to be gained by changing our
ways. Sorry, we don't subscribe to "the end justifies the means" way of
doing things.

news:p an.2005.03.01.01.02.32.736995@nowhere.lan...
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:48:08 -0800, Irene wrote:
>
>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> news:p an.2005.02.28.23.12.07.802409@nowhere.lan...
>>> Have you asked for Gold Level support contract cost from the Home User
>>> account sales people?
>>
>> YES, as I said in my previous post. We were told that it was not
>> available
>> to Home/Home Business purchasers.
>
> Thanks for the info - I read about 30 groups and sometimes the Alzheimers
> gets the better of me.
>
> I would suggest that you purchase through the small business site if you
> care about support, even if you have to "stretch" the truth a little it's
> worth it's weight in gold.
>
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 4:25:20 AM

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:11:03 -0500, Keith Hester wrote:

> Dell has fallen in service and quality. You are narrow
> minded and ignore the facts. You are just another DellBot on this group.

Keith, last year we purchase $1.8 million in servers, workstations, and
network hardware for clients from Dell - in the clients name, not ours. In
every case we purchased Gold support, even though the clients calls us and
have us do the work, even when a Dell contracted repair person is sent.

In all, in the last 5 years of working with Dell servers, workstations,
and home computers, I've had less trouble with Dell than any other major
vendor's systems.

Now, I don't make a habit of posting about the Great server, to terrible
outsourced service, or the quality of their systems, but there are always
going to be those that have problems and those that have great
experiences, but if Dell wasn't a reasonably good purchase it would not be
in the marketing position it currently is in.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 4:25:21 AM

I'll admit, all computer companies have gone down hill in terms of service
and support. Also, Dell is not the worse. Their are a few on this group who
always defend Dell to no end.
news:p an.2005.03.01.01.29.42.610647@nowhere.lan...
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:11:03 -0500, Keith Hester wrote:
>>
>> Dell has fallen in service and quality. You are narrow
>> minded and ignore the facts. You are just another DellBot on this group.
>
> Keith, last year we purchase $1.8 million in servers, workstations, and
> network hardware for clients from Dell - in the clients name, not ours. In
> every case we purchased Gold support, even though the clients calls us and
> have us do the work, even when a Dell contracted repair person is sent.
>
> In all, in the last 5 years of working with Dell servers, workstations,
> and home computers, I've had less trouble with Dell than any other major
> vendor's systems.
>
> Now, I don't make a habit of posting about the Great server, to terrible
> outsourced service, or the quality of their systems, but there are always
> going to be those that have problems and those that have great
> experiences, but if Dell wasn't a reasonably good purchase it would not be
> in the marketing position it currently is in.
>
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 4:25:22 AM

Keith Hester wrote:

> I'll admit, all computer companies have gone down hill in terms of service
> and support. Also, Dell is not the worse. Their are a few on this group who
> always defend Dell to no end.

I've frequently said that Dell's got some serious support problems,
although their Gold Tech Support isn't one of them.

In a previous post, you said (to me), "You never said explicitly
that they were perfect, but that's sure the tone of your posts."

You're either an idiot or you're tone deaf.

Maybe both.

Notan
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 4:25:23 AM

Notan,

You always resort to name calling. You know, anything you say means nothing
coming from you. I'll bet you got your ass beat many times in school.
> Keith Hester wrote:
>>
>> I'll admit, all computer companies have gone down hill in terms of
>> service
>> and support. Also, Dell is not the worse. Their are a few on this group
>> who
>> always defend Dell to no end.
>
> I've frequently said that Dell's got some serious support problems,
> although their Gold Tech Support isn't one of them.
>
> In a previous post, you said (to me), "You never said explicitly
> that they were perfect, but that's sure the tone of your posts."
>
> You're either an idiot or you're tone deaf.
>
> Maybe both.
>
> Notan
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 4:58:51 AM

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:43:07 -0800, Irene wrote:

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> news:p an.2005.03.01.01.02.32.736995@nowhere.lan...
>> I would suggest that you purchase through the small business site if you
>> care about support, even if you have to "stretch" the truth a little it's
>> worth it's weight in gold.
>
> We are now retired, but we operated a business for over thirty years. We did
> so without lies, stooping to fraud, or "stretching" the truth. We like to
> think that our success(and it was substantial) was do, not in small part,
> to the honesty and ethical manner that we treated our customers.
>
> Neither my husband, nor myself see any thing to be gained by changing our
> ways. Sorry, we don't subscribe to "the end justifies the means" way of
> doing things.

I appreciate that view and type of life, and I never lie to customers
either, but when it comes to support I'm willing to take advantage of Dell
a little.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 5:09:53 AM

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> news:p an.2005.03.01.01.02.32.736995@nowhere.lan...

> Neither my husband, nor myself see any thing to be gained by
> changing our ways. Sorry, we don't subscribe to "the end justifies
> the means" way of doing things.

Are you doing any type charitable work and you use the computer to
help with that work, or to keep records of that work? I do, and have
no qualms about ordering through Small Business.

I maintain websites for a couple of non-profits and get reimbursed for
the cost of name registration and server cost, but none for my time,
but it's still a business, except since I retired, I do it for free.
The name I use is the same name I used in business, (my name)
Associates.

Tom J
who doesn't buy the service contracts though
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 5:09:54 AM

Nope-----in every case we use their computers.

The point that a lot of folks seem to be missing, is that Dell should not be
forcing their customers into lies and fraud just so that the customer can
get acceptable tech support and service.

We have no objection to having to pay for the upgraded support, but we
shouldn't have to commit fraud and lie to get it.

"Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message

> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> news:p an.2005.03.01.01.02.32.736995@nowhere.lan...
>
>> Neither my husband, nor myself see any thing to be gained by changing our
>> ways. Sorry, we don't subscribe to "the end justifies the means" way of
>> doing things.
>
> Are you doing any type charitable work and you use the computer to help
> with that work, or to keep records of that work? I do, and have no qualms
> about ordering through Small Business.
>
> I maintain websites for a couple of non-profits and get reimbursed for the
> cost of name registration and server cost, but none for my time, but it's
> still a business, except since I retired, I do it for free. The name I use
> is the same name I used in business, (my name) Associates.
>
> Tom J
> who doesn't buy the service contracts though

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 5:59:25 AM

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:48:06 -0800, Irene wrote:

> Nope-----in every case we use their computers.

Irene - you just said you are a business "we use their computers" which
means you are doing "work" for someone.

And that means that if you do anything on your computer that helps you
advance, such as learning word, more html, etc... then it's a valid
business item.

> The point that a lot of folks seem to be missing, is that Dell should not be
> forcing their customers into lies and fraud just so that the customer can
> get acceptable tech support and service.
>
> We have no objection to having to pay for the upgraded support, but we
> shouldn't have to commit fraud and lie to get it.

None of us Miss the point, we just use the strictest definitions of Work
related to mean business related and that allows us and Dell to play on
the same page - no lies needed.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 5:59:26 AM

I wish people wouldn't play word games. No where did I say we were a
business. We used to have a business and are now retired. The charity work
that my husband and I do are for a church and a local senior assistance
program. Both have their own computers and we use their computers, not ours.
In short "you" use the same word games to attempt to justify "stretching the
truth" so that "you" can order from the business sales.
If that's the game that some must play to get good tech service and support,
well, it's between them and their conscience. We prefer to keep our
integrity and take our business elsewhere.

news:p an.2005.03.01.03.03.49.943681@nowhere.lan...
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:48:06 -0800, Irene wrote:
>>
>> Nope-----in every case we use their computers.
>
> Irene - you just said you are a business "we use their computers" which
> means you are doing "work" for someone.
>
> And that means that if you do anything on your computer that helps you
> advance, such as learning word, more html, etc... then it's a valid
> business item.
>
>> The point that a lot of folks seem to be missing, is that Dell should not
>> be
>> forcing their customers into lies and fraud just so that the customer can
>> get acceptable tech support and service.
>>
>> We have no objection to having to pay for the upgraded support, but we
>> shouldn't have to commit fraud and lie to get it.
>
> None of us Miss the point, we just use the strictest definitions of Work
> related to mean business related and that allows us and Dell to play on
> the same page - no lies needed.
>
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:30:07 PM

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:36:00 -0800, Irene wrote:

> I wish people wouldn't play word games. No where did I say we were a
> business. We used to have a business and are now retired. The charity work
> that my husband and I do are for a church and a local senior assistance
> program. Both have their own computers and we use their computers, not ours.

I wasn't playing "Word" games - you said you do work for others and that
you Use Their Computers. If you use other people computers to do work that
also means that you have to know something about computers or the
applications that run on them in order to efficiently use them. That means
you are performing a business function for those groups, even if you use
their computers, it still a business function. It might also be a tax
deduction if the charity could place a value on the service - in fact, if
they place a $ value on the service it enforces that you are indeed
performing a business function.

> In short "you" use the same word games to attempt to justify "stretching
> the truth" so that "you" can order from the business sales. If that's
> the game that some must play to get good tech service and support, well,
> it's between them and their conscience. We prefer to keep our integrity
> and take our business elsewhere.

I'm looking at your function as though it was a service you provide, even
if for free, to a business - and a charity/church IS a business. While you
may not value your time/effort, in many cases the IRS does allow it to be
considered a donation and can be claimed on your taxes. Your "Charity"
towards those businesses does not lessen the fact that you are performing
a business function - that means you can call your business "mom & pop
charity services" and be completely legal/justified in doing so. There is
nothing unethical, no lie, nada, it's completely on the up and up.

Now, if you don't want to look at your services as valued, don't really
want to consider what you do as being worthwhile, that's your business,
but I don't need lectured because you don't personally consider your
business activities as something that qualifies. In reality, even if you
never claim your donation of services on your taxes, you are providing a
business service to those organizations the same as if they bought those
services from another company.

You are the one that said you perform services using the organizations
computers - that means you perform business services - which makes you a
small business.

Do you understand now - there is NO deception.

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> news:p an.2005.03.01.03.03.49.943681@nowhere.lan...
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:48:06 -0800, Irene wrote:
>>>
>>> Nope-----in every case we use their computers.
>>
>> Irene - you just said you are a business "we use their computers" which
>> means you are doing "work" for someone.
>>
>> And that means that if you do anything on your computer that helps you
>> advance, such as learning word, more html, etc... then it's a valid
>> business item.
>>
>>> The point that a lot of folks seem to be missing, is that Dell should
>>> not be
>>> forcing their customers into lies and fraud just so that the customer
>>> can get acceptable tech support and service.
>>>
>>> We have no objection to having to pay for the upgraded support, but we
>>> shouldn't have to commit fraud and lie to get it.
>>
>> None of us Miss the point, we just use the strictest definitions of
>> Work related to mean business related and that allows us and Dell to
>> play on the same page - no lies needed.
>>
>> --
>> spam999free@rrohio.com
>> remove 999 in order to email me

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:30:08 PM

As I said, this all goes along with "stretching the truth", which apparently
is how some get the Gold Tech Support that Dell sees fit to deny it's
Home/Home Business customers. As I also said, that is between them and their
conscience.

Just because Dell sees fit to act in this manner does not mean that we are
willing to stoop down to their level.

I suspect that, based on what we were told over the phone by Dell Sales, if
Dell decides to "crack down", those folks will be found to have "provided
false and misleading information, in order to get the upgraded service".
That allows Dell to "cancel the service agreements with those customers".

Not my words----that of a Dell Sales Supervisor.

news:p an.2005.03.01.11.39.17.690270@nowhere.lan...
> [...]
> business service to those organizations the same as if they bought those
> services from another company.
>
> You are the one that said you perform services using the organizations
> computers - that means you perform business services - which makes you a
> small business.
>
> Do you understand now - there is NO deception.
>
>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> news:p an.2005.03.01.03.03.49.943681@nowhere.lan...

>>> Irene - you just said you are a business "we use their computers" which
>>> means you are doing "work" for someone.
>>>
>>> And that means that if you do anything on your computer that helps you
>>> advance, such as learning word, more html, etc... then it's a valid
>>> business item.

>>> None of us Miss the point, we just use the strictest definitions of
>>> Work related to mean business related and that allows us and Dell to

March 1, 2005 8:00:39 PM

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 08:47:09 -0800, Irene wrote:

> As I said, this all goes along with "stretching the truth", which apparently
> is how some get the Gold Tech Support that Dell sees fit to deny it's
> Home/Home Business customers. As I also said, that is between them and their
> conscience.
>
> Just because Dell sees fit to act in this manner does not mean that we are
> willing to stoop down to their level.
>
> I suspect that, based on what we were told over the phone by Dell Sales, if
> Dell decides to "crack down", those folks will be found to have "provided
> false and misleading information, in order to get the upgraded service".
> That allows Dell to "cancel the service agreements with those customers".
>
> Not my words----that of a Dell Sales Supervisor.

Irene, I appreciate what you're saying, but if you only look at the truth,
you are providing a business service to customers - the fact that you
provide that service free does not change the fact that it's a service.

I'm not here to convenience you that you are or are not a business, only
that you don't have to fib/lie about your business status.

Are you aware that many companies operate under the owners Social Security
Number and claim everything on their personal taxes to the IRS - called
Sole Proprietor-Ship businesses. Dell has no problem selling business
services to those types of businesses, and in fact, that's what the "Small
Business/SOHO" group does.

As for "false or misleading" - there is no way that Dell can suggest that
a home based business is not a business, as long as you can show customers
of some type then you are a perfectly legit business. You do no have to
use the Dell computers in the work product of your business, Dell doesn't
care how you use them, only that you are a business. If you use your
computer to become more proficient at the services you offer your
customers, then that's a perfectly legit secondary reason to justify it as
a business class purchase. Dell only cares about Home vs Business so that
they don't have a zillion ignorant users calling asking about how to play
CD's and hear them on the speakers - as that would drive the cost of
business support up.

This is my last post to try and explain that you are considered a
business, even if you don't want to be, and that you, as you provide
services to other businesses, fully quality for business systems purchases
through the Dell Small Business section.

> [...]
>> charity services" and be completely legal/justified in doing so. There is
>> nothing unethical, no lie, nada, it's completely on the up and up.
>>
>> Now, if you don't want to look at your services as valued, don't really
>> want to consider what you do as being worthwhile, that's your business,
>> but I don't need lectured because you don't personally consider your
>> business activities as something that qualifies. In reality, even if you
>> never claim your donation of services on your taxes, you are providing a
>> business service to those organizations the same as if they bought those
>> services from another company.
>>
>> You are the one that said you perform services using the organizations
>> computers - that means you perform business services - which makes you a
>> small business.
>>
>> Do you understand now - there is NO deception.

March 1, 2005 8:00:40 PM

I went through all of this with a sales supervisor. As I said, what I posted
were his words, not mine. He gave me this reference.

This comes directly from the Dell Gold Tech Support web site:

" Gold Technical Support is currently not available on Dimension or Inspiron
Personal Systems and is currently not available to Dell Home System,
Employee Purchase Program and Faculty Staff and Student customers. "

Please note the exclusion of Dimension and Inspiron computers.
See subnote 1---at the bottom of this page, just above the copyright
section.

Here is the URL.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/serv...

I wish it were available for Dimension computers, but it is not.

news:p an.2005.03.01.17.09.49.540153@nowhere.lan...
> [...]
>>> charity services" and be completely legal/justified in doing so. There
>>> is
>>> nothing unethical, no lie, nada, it's completely on the up and up.
>>>
>>> Now, if you don't want to look at your services as valued, don't really
>>> want to consider what you do as being worthwhile, that's your business,
>>> but I don't need lectured because you don't personally consider your
>>> business activities as something that qualifies. In reality, even if you
>>> never claim your donation of services on your taxes, you are providing a
>>> business service to those organizations the same as if they bought those
>>> services from another company.
>>>
>>> You are the one that said you perform services using the organizations
>>> computers - that means you perform business services - which makes you a
>>> small business.
>>>
>>> Do you understand now - there is NO deception.

March 1, 2005 8:56:28 PM

Irene <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I suspect that, based on what we were told over the phone by Dell Sales, if
> Dell decides to "crack down", those folks will be found to have "provided
> false and misleading information, in order to get the upgraded service".
> That allows Dell to "cancel the service agreements with those customers".

> Not my words----that of a Dell Sales Supervisor.

The high horse act is getting old.

Post the written definition of "small business" and any terms or agreements
that must be made before buying from that department. I found none after
spending 30 minutes looking.

The phone operator stuff? Blind leading the blind.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 8:56:29 PM

Brian wrote:

> Irene <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I suspect that, based on what we were told over the phone by Dell Sales, if
> > Dell decides to "crack down", those folks will be found to have "provided
> > false and misleading information, in order to get the upgraded service".
> > That allows Dell to "cancel the service agreements with those customers".
>
> > Not my words----that of a Dell Sales Supervisor.
>
> The high horse act is getting old.
>
> Post the written definition of "small business" and any terms or agreements
> that must be made before buying from that department. I found none after
> spending 30 minutes looking.
>
> The phone operator stuff? Blind leading the blind.

While I don't remember what proof I had to provide, I'd image
that a "1099" would be sufficient.

Notan
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 8:56:29 PM

Take a look at the URL that I have posted.

I repeat, we have Dell Dimension desk top computers.

"Brian" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
news:D 02acc$71p$1@gondor.sdsu.edu...
> Irene <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I suspect that, based on what we were told over the phone by Dell Sales,
>> if
>> Dell decides to "crack down", those folks will be found to have
>> "provided
>> false and misleading information, in order to get the upgraded service".
>> That allows Dell to "cancel the service agreements with those customers".
>
>> Not my words----that of a Dell Sales Supervisor.
>
> The high horse act is getting old.
>
> Post the written definition of "small business" and any terms or
> agreements
> that must be made before buying from that department. I found none after
> spending 30 minutes looking.
>
> The phone operator stuff? Blind leading the blind.

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 9:05:05 PM

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:04:18 -0700, Notan wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>>
>> Irene <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > I suspect that, based on what we were told over the phone by Dell Sales, if
>> > Dell decides to "crack down", those folks will be found to have "provided
>> > false and misleading information, in order to get the upgraded service".
>> > That allows Dell to "cancel the service agreements with those customers".
>>
>> > Not my words----that of a Dell Sales Supervisor.
>>
>> The high horse act is getting old.
>>
>> Post the written definition of "small business" and any terms or agreements
>> that must be made before buying from that department. I found none after
>> spending 30 minutes looking.
>>
>> The phone operator stuff? Blind leading the blind.
>
> While I don't remember what proof I had to provide, I'd image
> that a "1099" would be sufficient.

Actually you don't need to provide ANY proof to Dell, just a business
name, and since the company name can you YOUR_LAST_NAME without a EIN or
anything it's all legit.

We started with Dell business as a Single owner, and I known hundreds of
others that are true single owner companies - they don't care at Dell as
long as you state you are a business.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 9:29:04 PM

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:27:13 -0800, Irene wrote:

> This comes directly from the Dell Gold Tech Support web site:
>
> " Gold Technical Support is currently not available on Dimension or Inspiron
> Personal Systems and is currently not available to Dell Home System,
> Employee Purchase Program and Faculty Staff and Student customers. "

Irene - you didn't say what type of computer you wanted to order, and
since the home computer have a lot of fluff, you can actually get better
performing systems from the business line. Most of the eye candy is just
that - eye candy.

What computer did you have in mind, maybe we can help find one in the
business section that has the same features.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 9:29:05 PM

Oh, but I did.
In fact, I described out last purchase from Dell as a "$3000 Dimension desk
top"
I also posted that our other two Dell computers were Dimensions, and were
out of warranty or going out of warranty.
The computer that we tried to get Gold Tech Support on was the newest
Dimension desk top.

I don't know how much more I can emphasize this. We are not a business, we
don't really qualify as a business and need a home computer, not a business
computer or server.
The quality of support we need is no longer provided by Dell.
It is not even offered as an option at additional cost.
The Gold Tech Support would be satisfactory and we are willing to pay for
it. But as the URL I posted indicates, Dell will not extend it to Dimension
computers.

news:p an.2005.03.01.18.32.05.937407@nowhere.lan...
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:27:13 -0800, Irene wrote:
>>
>> This comes directly from the Dell Gold Tech Support web site:
>>
>> " Gold Technical Support is currently not available on Dimension or
>> Inspiron
>> Personal Systems and is currently not available to Dell Home System,
>> Employee Purchase Program and Faculty Staff and Student customers. "
>
> Irene - you didn't say what type of computer you wanted to order, and
> since the home computer have a lot of fluff, you can actually get better
> performing systems from the business line. Most of the eye candy is just
> that - eye candy.
>
> What computer did you have in mind, maybe we can help find one in the
> business section that has the same features.
>
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 9:33:05 PM

> If that's the game that some must play to get good tech service and
> support, well, it's between them and their conscience. We prefer to
> keep our integrity and take our business elsewhere.

May I ask where you have found better service? The last I looked
around, all computer manufacturing companies are using the same type
service (contracted out).

Tom J
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 9:33:06 PM

> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> If that's the game that some must play to get good tech service and
>> support, well, it's between them and their conscience. We prefer to keep
>> our integrity and take our business elsewhere.
>
> May I ask where you have found better service? The last I looked around,
> all computer manufacturing companies are using the same type service
> (contracted out).
>
> Tom J

I've been asking this same question of Irene for at least two years ( or of
anyone else who has "left Dell". We all could benefit if such a vendor
exists ).

Stew
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 9:40:54 PM

> While I don't remember what proof I had to provide, I'd image
> that a "1099" would be sufficient.

Don't know about phone purchases, but on line there is 1 line to fill
in - Business name.
As a single person business, I filled in the name I used for 30 years
(my name) Associates.
That's it.

Tom J
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 9:47:32 PM

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:50:22 -0800, Irene wrote:

> Oh, but I did.
> In fact, I described out last purchase from Dell as a "$3000 Dimension
> desk top"
> I also posted that our other two Dell computers were Dimensions, and
> were out of warranty or going out of warranty. The computer that we
> tried to get Gold Tech Support on was the newest Dimension desk top.
>
> I don't know how much more I can emphasize this. We are not a business,
> we don't really qualify as a business and need a home computer, not a
> business computer or server.
> The quality of support we need is no longer provided by Dell. It is
> not even offered as an option at additional cost. The Gold Tech Support
> would be satisfactory and we are willing to pay for it. But as the URL I
> posted indicates, Dell will not extend it to Dimension computers.

Well, I guess you're just up-the-creek without the proverbial paddle.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 9:47:33 PM

I can't believe you guys are still carrying on this useless thread. You
really must have nothing else to do.

Ted Zieglar

news:p an.2005.03.01.18.51.56.126078@nowhere.lan...
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:50:22 -0800, Irene wrote:

etc. etc. etc.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 10:05:41 PM

Irene wrote:
> [...]
>>of some type then you are a perfectly legit business. You do no have to
>>use the Dell computers in the work product of your business, Dell doesn't
>>care how you use them, only that you are a business. If you use your
>>computer to become more proficient at the services you offer your
>>customers, then that's a perfectly legit secondary reason to justify it as
>>a business class purchase. Dell only cares about Home vs Business so that
>>they don't have a zillion ignorant users calling asking about how to play
>>CD's and hear them on the speakers - as that would drive the cost of
>>business support up.
>>
>>This is my last post to try and explain that you are considered a
>>business, even if you don't want to be, and that you, as you provide
>>services to other businesses, fully quality for business systems purchases
>>through the Dell Small Business section.

Home users can now purchase a warranty package from Dell called Premier
Warranty Support. It appears to be somewhat similar to Gold Technical
Support available to Small Business users and is comparably priced. I
found it when pricing a Dimension 8400 through the Home and Home Office
section of the web site.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 3:44:04 AM

she said she bought her last computer or computers from a local mom and pop
shop

news:o Y2Vd.25628$hd6.2467@bignews1.bellsouth.net...

> "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> If that's the game that some must play to get good tech service and
>>> support, well, it's between them and their conscience. We prefer to keep
>>> our integrity and take our business elsewhere.
>>
>> May I ask where you have found better service? The last I looked around,
>> all computer manufacturing companies are using the same type service
>> (contracted out).
>>
>> Tom J
>>

> I've been asking this same question of Irene for at least two years ( or
> of anyone else who has "left Dell". We all could benefit if such a vendor
> exists ).
>

> Stew

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 3:54:01 AM

"Dan Sgambelluri" <dsgambelluri@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:o %7Vd.543776$8l.372850@pd7tw1no...
> she said she bought her last computer or computers from a local mom
> and pop shop

Then, why is she here instead of back at the mom & pop? You don't
think it would have anything to do with more computer for the buck do
you? ;-)

Tom J
or is it just bitch time
!