ICS of Modem and Wireless Router

kr

I share my dialup internet account across a local network using Internet
Connection Sharing on several NT Professional machines..

I have no immediate plans to get a DSL or cable high speed connection.

In order to get a DLINK DCS-5300W wireless camera onto the net I have been
told by DLINK support people that I should get a wireless router or wireless
access point.

Connecting in ad-hoc mode to the DCS-5300W with a DLINK DWL-G120 USB
Wireless adapter is not stable. The connection does not hold long.

Strangely enough I can connect with an IBM ThinkPad a/b/g wireless to the
DCS-5300W just fine. I presume that says something about USB wireless
adapters.

As stated previously I want to keep my dialup internet connection sharable
across my network. Will I be able to do this with a wireless router or
access point?

Any comments will be appreciated.

If your LAN is working properly and your one internet connection is shared
using ICS then you want to get an access point and not a router. ICS
already functions as a router in your current setup.

-Yves

"kr" <no_spam@veryhotmail.com> wrote in news:406eeb92$0$3057
$61fed72c@news.rcn.com:

> Will I be able to do this with a wireless router or
> access point?

Not unless it has a dialup port (i.e. Orinoco RG-1000)

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

kr

Thank for your reply.

I know that most routers and certainly access points don't have a modem
port. My question is more along the lines of can magic games be played with
the addresses that have to be set on the router to allow the XP machine that
has the modem to function as the internet gateway with one of its LAN cards
set to 192.168.0.1?

> My question is more along the lines of can magic games be played with
> the addresses that have to be set on the router to allow the XP
> machine that has the modem to function as the internet gateway with
> one of its LAN cards set to 192.168.0.1?

In this case yes. Your wireless router will be turned into an Access Point
- you will no longer be using the routing functions of the Router - you'll
only be using the wireless access point component.

So as long as your Router is functioning fine as an access point, all
wireless clients will be able to log in via the dialup connection.

To test, try pinging your computer with the modem.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)