East Asian Languages

I can't load the east asian languages either. I've got xp pro on a gateway,
with a gateway XP operating system CD...not the correct CD the error message
asks for. I tried following the instructions in the other long thread about
this, but they didn't work for me because I can't find an I386 folder in
Windows. I've got an i386 folder in C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles, but I don't
think that helps much. Please help. I've got to work with Chinese language
soon.

Thanks.
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Set folder options correctly, then search for I386. It is likely either
C:\I386 or C:\Windows\I386, not the one you are seeing in the
ServicePackFiles folder (which is the cache of updated files from the
Service Pack, not the original installation). Go to the Control Panel/Folder
Options, and on the View tab, set the options so you can see hidden and
system files. Specifically:

Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"

I also recommend that you disable (uncheck) "hide extensions for known file
types".

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"sunealla" <sunealla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't load the east asian languages either. I've got xp pro on a
>gateway,
> with a gateway XP operating system CD...not the correct CD the error
> message
> asks for. I tried following the instructions in the other long thread
> about
> this, but they didn't work for me because I can't find an I386 folder in
> Windows. I've got an i386 folder in C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles, but I
> don't
> think that helps much. Please help. I've got to work with Chinese
> language
> soon.
>
> Thanks.
> Jennifer

Well, I've done everything you suggested and am considering the possibility
that my computer does not have the I386 file. Do you think I may need to
reinstall the OS and then see if I386 magically appears?

Thank you,
Jennifer