Tech: Battlezone ARII Voltage Problem

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

Greetings, I just repaired my Battlezone ARII board with a kit from Bob
Roberts. All the voltages are fine except for the -5VDC is coming in
at -14VDC. I got two kits and replaced the 7905 voltage regulator
again. Same results. I guess it could be the wrong part number on the
7905.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Les

Does the AC from the transfomer get rectified into that 7905? Back up the
circuit and check the expected AC inputs, diodes, etc. if it does. Does it
say 7905 on the part?

Les wrote:

> Greetings, I just repaired my Battlezone ARII board with a kit from Bob
> Roberts. All the voltages are fine except for the -5VDC is coming in
> at -14VDC. I got two kits and replaced the 7905 voltage regulator
> again. Same results. I guess it could be the wrong part number on the
> 7905.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Les

The 7905 tab needs to be isolated from the heat sink. It should be attached
with a Silpad (or equivalent) and nylon screws.

If you use a metal screw, all bets are off.

Jed Margolin
====================

"Jed Margolin" <news@jmargolin.com> wrote in message news:4286B3AF.BFFDFFC9@jmargolin.com...

Jed is as close to the original designer of this thing that
is ever likely to post on RGVAC. Trust his opinion
when it comes to the AR...

http://www.jmargolin.com/ (lots of history there)

Alex
----
ayeckley@elektronforge.com
www.elektronforge.com

>I guess it could be the wrong part number on the 7905.

IIRC, there were unsubstantiated reports of that being the
case. Google should tell the Whole Story.

Alex
----
ayeckley@elektronforge.com
www.elektronforge.com

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

I went to my local electronics store and bought a couple of 7905
voltage regulators. Went home and put it in and got -5VDC exactly! So
for whatever reason, the ones I got from Bob Roberts must have been
labelled wrong. Now I am getting good voltages from the ARII board.

Now I have to figure out why the heater is not lighting up in the neck
and take off the reset button on the board and clean it up. It is kind
of sticky right now. And discharge a monitor for the first time
(nervous about that one).

Thanks very very much for everyones help! I have the Atari XY bug now.

Les

:
: Now I have to figure out why the heater is not lighting up in the neck
: and take off the reset button on the board and clean it up. It is kind
: of sticky right now. And discharge a monitor for the first time
: (nervous about that one).

The heater in B&W vectors is very dim.

Measure the voltage drop across the heater with the game running, and
measure the impedance of the heater with the game off.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Latest posts