dialup connection problem

My dialup modem suddenly fails to register with my isp. I use broadband
mostly, but for sending emails i need to connect via 56k to Tiscali. No
problem until yesterday, when it started failing to register (it connects,
but doesn't register on the network) and gives me an error 721 message.
I've been on to Tiscali, they've checked and say everything's fine at their
end, so the problem is with my pc.
Right now I can't send emails (though I can receive via broadband).

Help!!
9 answers Last reply
More about dialup connection problem

    "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > My dialup modem suddenly fails to register with my isp. I use broadband
    > mostly, but for sending emails i need to connect via 56k to Tiscali. No
    > problem until yesterday, when it started failing to register (it connects,
    > but doesn't register on the network) and gives me an error 721 message.
    > I've been on to Tiscali, they've checked and say everything's fine at
    > their
    > end, so the problem is with my pc.
    > Right now I can't send emails (though I can receive via broadband).
    >
    > Help!!

    Just as an idea have you tried to remove the dialup account and then
    recreating it from start? Often that's something that I need to do here.

    Galen

    --

    "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability with
    which he prefaced it, was,

    Sherlock Holmes

    Yes, Tiscali walked me through a complete re-set up of my account, with new
    password, phone number, everything. The result is the same. It connects to
    the server, but is not recognised, then gives error 721. They say, therefore,
    the problem is not at their end as everything is functioning there. But I
    haven't been able to reconfigure the modem successfully.

    > Yes, Tiscali walked me through a complete re-set up of my account, with
    > new
    > password, phone number, everything. The result is the same. It connects to
    > the server, but is not recognised, then gives error 721. They say,
    > therefore,
    > the problem is not at their end as everything is functioning there. But I
    > haven't been able to reconfigure the modem successfully.

    A 721 error is the modem failing to sync with their server. It's often due
    to one of a few things but the most common is line noise. I'm not sure how
    to check this in the UK but here you pick up the phone, press a single
    number that doesn't call the operator, and listen for noise as the most
    basic testing. Once in a while this is caused by needing new drivers, if
    this suddenly stopped after a recent update then that might be the cause
    right there. If you dial the number that you'd normally dial to connect to
    the ISP with a regular phone is it all "scratchy" sounding? Often you can
    ring your telco and they'll check your phone for line noise for you while
    you wait and call you right back with the results. That or updated drivers
    are the most common causes.

    Galen

    Nope, tried it. There's no noise, or scratchiness.
    I'm stumped.

    I hadn't updated the drivers when it began. Tried it since to try to clear
    the problem but there are no new drivers.

    In news:094DA0FD-5306-4C71-B286-16CBC0B771FC@microsoft.com,
    philwil <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Nope, tried it. There's no noise, or scratchiness.
    > I'm stumped.
    >
    > I hadn't updated the drivers when it began. Tried it since to try to
    > clear the problem but there are no new drivers.

    I've but one realistic option left. Open the device manager, delete the
    offending drivers, reboot, and let Windows re-set them. Give that a shot but
    if that does NOT work it's probably not with the operating system but with
    the ISP themselves or your telco even though they claim different.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Before I try that, will Windows reset them automatically? Windows came
    preinstalled with the modem, so I don't have drivers on disk, hence if
    there's no auto-install, I'll have no modem.

    In news:AED7B516-B7CC-4196-B83E-1378D52F7B05@microsoft.com,
    philwil <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Before I try that, will Windows reset them automatically? Windows came
    > preinstalled with the modem, so I don't have drivers on disk, hence if
    > there's no auto-install, I'll have no modem.

    It certainly should BUT a good idea would be for you to go ahead to the
    manufacturer's site and download the modem drivers. You did mention, I'm
    pretty sure, that you have broadband so even if you'd skipped that step
    you'd still be able to get your drivers.

    XP is pretty good about drivers and has a decent driver base already with
    it.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Galen, thanks. It worked. I did a Sys Restore, just in case, then uninstalled
    the modem software, re-booted and Windows re-installed as you said. My only
    question now is, why did it happen in the first place?

    many thanks,

    Phil

    In news:562CF17C-BA47-419D-AC6C-AF3A874A6171@microsoft.com,
    philwil <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Galen, thanks. It worked. I did a Sys Restore, just in case, then
    > uninstalled the modem software, re-booted and Windows re-installed as
    > you said. My only question now is, why did it happen in the first
    > place?
    >
    > many thanks,

    Well, with the millions and millions of lines of code both within the
    operating system and the applications that you use on the computer it's
    amazing that they work as often as they do. Why? Mayhaps at some point, this
    is a wild guess, the file that held the driver information became
    fragmented. In an effort to set things right Windows (say NTFS or even
    defrag perhaps) moved stuff around. Maybe it lost that section at that
    point? Maybe there was an error on the drive (when was the last time you
    checked the disk for errors?) and that section of the drive was ignored?
    There's so many reasons... It's just something that happens once in a while
    and nope, I haven't got a clue why.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

Connection Dialup Internet Service Providers Windows XP